tauranga fishing

Page  <1 396397398399400 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 7:52pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 5:14pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Another report from yesterday, swellmap showed 5 knot variables inshore for Saturday and I had given most of my fillets from Thursday away to family so I went out Kaituna cut with a mate. Caught 6 snaps in 10 to 12m on sand with softbaits but the fishing went quiet so headed out to Motiti.
Due to south to SE wind being 8 to 10 knots we drifted the knoll shallows but pretty dead.
Found some fish by the ramp with the piles sticking up in 10 to 15m, it was sheltered from wind. Ended up with 14 snapper 35 to 45cm by which time wind dropped so nice drive home.
Killed some time in front of the cut waiting for tide to come in and plenty of pannies around kahawai workups.
Seems to be good snapper fishing out there at the moment
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 5:49pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It was very quiet in the harbour yesterday. Hardly a nibble. Caught a few kahawai at about 4:00 but nothing else. Tried 4 different spots.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stunned Mullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 9:06am
Stunned Mullet View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

To all BOP boaties who use the Kaituna cut.

Following the spate of car break-ins at Bell Road this year, the council are considering installing CCTV cameras at the Bell Road car park and boat ramp.  However this is entirely dependent on the number of submissions in support of this.

The link for submissions is pasted below – please can everyone who uses this boat ramp or who is in support of this camera installation take the time to make a submission.

Applications open Monday, 30 May 2022 and close 5pm Thursday, 23 June 2022.

Cheers from a fellow boatie,

Graham Pickering

As promised, here is the link to the applications that opened today

https://www.westernbay.govt.nz/repository/libraries/id:25p4fe6mo17q9stw0v5w/hierarchy/community/CCTV/2022%20CCTV%20Application%20Form.pdf

Guidelines link below:

https://www.westernbay.govt.nz/repository/libraries/id:25p4fe6mo17q9stw0v5w/hierarchy/community/CCTV/2022%20Annual%20CCTV%20Request%20Process%20-%20Application%20Guidelines.pdf

Feel free to encourage as many people as you can to complete an application as the more evidence that members of a community want the camera/s installed the more weight they will carry.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Regards

Alison Cave 
Property and Services Officer 
Āpiha Whenua me Ratonga

66F104D9 

E[email protected] 
P
07 571 8008 |FP0800 926 732 
1484 Cameron Road, Greerton, Tauranga 3112 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stunned Mullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 9:07am
Bronze
Bronze

To all BOP boaties who use the Kaituna cut. 
Following the spate of car break-ins at Bell Road this year, the council are considering installing CCTV cameras at the Bell Road car park and boat ramp.  However this is entirely dependent on the number of submissions in support of this.
The link for submissions is pasted below – please can everyone who uses this boat ramp or who is in support of this camera installation take the time to make a submission.
Applications open Monday, 30 May 2022 and close 5pm Thursday, 23 June 2022.
Cheers from a fellow boatie,
Graham Pickering

As promised, here is the link to the applications that opened today
Guidelines link below:
Feel free to encourage as many people as you can to complete an application as the more evidence that members of a community want the camera/s installed the more weight they will carry.
Any questions, feel free to ask.

Regards
Alison Cave 
Property and Services Officer 
Āpiha Whenua me Ratonga

P 07 571 8008 | FP 0800 926 732 
1484 Cameron Road, Greerton, Tauranga 3112 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 10:45pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for this SM.. I have just dropped an application in as well - as I agree that a CCTV would help deter the antisocial ratbags from hanging out there. It's not great when a family casting a line in gets stuck in the way of the twits doing burn outs there in broad daylight...

Note though - the link you included above didn't work for me - so maybe see if this one below works for any others keen to voice their opinion. 

https://www.westernbay.govt.nz/repository/libraries/id:25p4fe6mo17q9stw0v5w/hierarchy/community/CCTV/2022%20CCTV%20Application%20Form%20-%20Updated.pdf

Cheers 
Speedy
Proud supporter of Ronald McDonald House & the team at Legasea

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stunned Mullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 1:30pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Speedy,
Thanks for alerting me to the updated link for submitting details in support of the installation of CCTV cameras at the Bell Rd boat ramp.

I was first alerted to this need after reading Jack Hammers feb 20th post on page 394 below.
"I returned to Bell Rd ramp about midday today to discover 5 tow vehicles had their passenger windows smashed.  Couple of the victims were on the phone to the police.  I'm not sure what time it happened but these guys had been out fishing since the early morning.  I hadn't launched from there for a while and all I can say is that area is a disaster zone.  It could be an amazing facility but council don't seem to be monitoring it.  I wont be rushing back. "

This so annoyed me that I decided to contact the council to see if anything could be done and after many phone calls and emails I was sent that link in my post of their application process. Once their system went live I posted the details on here, then I also contacted the TGA Coast Guard, Maketu CG, TGA fish and dive club, TGA sports fishing club and the Omokoroa boat clubs whom all were very supportive and have posted on various social media/email or newsletters.
Within hours of me doing this the council to my horror changed the form and also the link and all my work was wasted.
Well I'll just have to go fishing to alleviate the frustration of my wasted efforts and try to navigate the Kaituna cut for the first time in my 14ft tinny, leaving my Rottweiler in my car for security
Cheers 
SM

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 2:57pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Some years ago one of our boat ramps was regularly targeted by druggies, thieves and general undesirables.  CCTV cameras were installed and within weeks they were vandalized and inoperable.  New cameras have since been installed with more thought given to protect them from vandals.  All good now I believe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 1:09pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey SM,

Quote "Well I'll just have to go fishing to alleviate the frustration of my wasted efforts and try to navigate the Kaituna cut for the first time in my 14ft tinny, leaving my Rottweiler in my car for security" 

The other option is to drive around to Ford Road and laund from there where there is a bit more public movement which may help the security issues. Also, if launching from the Bell Rd, maybe considering doing this over a high tide - when there will be more comings and goings - rather than over a low tide when no-one will be launching making it a very quite spot for twats to do their work...

If you do get out there, I hope you are well rewarded, it's certainly worth the effort to learn that area.

A couple tips when planning a crossing:
- Check the Port of Tauranga website for the real time swell height at A bouy. Whilst not 100% the same as at the Cut, it is a very good indicator of swell height. If its over 1m, be very very careful.... (always be very careful though!)
- Make a plan around crossing at better than a half tide, and never try to come home on a tide lower than this. To be able to bet the river current you need to have your motor tucked down to push you up against the flow. If its too shallow and you need to trim up you're fighting a loosing battle.
- View the Maketu Coastguard barcam before going. This is brilliant because you can scroll back a full tide movement to be able to see the path other boats have taken and where the slightly deeper channel is. 
- Do the Maketu CG bar crossing open day to learn the ropes.

Flick me a PM if you have any queries, or want a tip or two about fishing down that way.
Proud supporter of Ronald McDonald House & the team at Legasea

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 5:55pm
Gold
Gold

If anyone is planning a tuna mission and needs an extra man to contribute to gas etc, I would love to get out there. I am free during Matariki weekend and for 2 weeks in July (9th to 24th). PM me if you are interested, or if you know someone who might be able to get me onto a tuna.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarmerBrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 6:08pm
FarmerBrowne View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I see TCC is looking to reclassify the reserve at Sulphur Point and allow the Waikato University establish a building in the green space here.

If you have concerns around the loss of this green space which could provide additional overflow boat parking in years to come as the city grows you may wish to make a submission here

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 8:00am
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks SM for your efforts, Bell Rd ramp is my go to launching spot, so many choices where to fish out from the cut.
The last year or two the boy racer activity has gone to another level. Clumps of tyre and rubber shavings carpeting the carpark, it would be an ideal place for police to corner them with only one road in.
The council have just had a big clean up removing all the scrub making the place more open, also they placed a security camera setup on a pole with a massive concrete base in the carpark about a year ago, it was gone after a month or 2.
I haven't had a bad experince yet but that is probably luck but know of people who have come back from a days fishing and their boat or trailer is gone.
I will submit that application form this weekend and encourage any boaties I know also, thanks again
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 1:52pm
Gold
Gold

Is anyone still catching snapper in the harbour? If so, some tips would be helpful - Time of day, depth of water and tide please.

Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 7:16pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I went along Matakana Island this morning in my dinghy, bit windy but caught some snapper. I was drifting 7 to 10m using softbaits, lots of sooty shearwaters flying around with the odd workup about. There was a big workup close to the beach in 2m of water, lots of kahawai, tried for snapper but no joy. Water is now 15 degrees after the strong westerlies, better weather next two days so worth a crack.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 7:17pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 7:18pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 7:20pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 8:10pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

a nice binfull Gregg, well done Big smile
I'm hoping to have a look along there tomorrow.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 9:25pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Uncle I went a bit past Karewa and Mayor lining up but they could be spread right along there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 12:29pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

After a few weeks of **** weather then a week on the West Coast of the South Island (the Hokitika and Greymouth river entrances cured me of any thoughts I had of moving there) I got for a fish out of Tauranga yesterday. I started in 70 ft off the pipe on Matakana Island. A couple of pannie snaps and a 450 mm gurnard. I had a surface burly out as well as one on the bottom but had to leave due to being harrassed by the birds. Moved to the same depth just to the Mount side of Karewa and picked up another few snaps, another gurnard, a good trev and a few kahawai for the smoker. Trout and skippy was about even bait wise.  Back in by 1pm and beat the rush. A lot of boats out. Good day.
Page  <1 396397398399400 413>