tauranga fishing

Page  <1 388389390391392 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote barafat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 8:39am
barafat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

So I guess those of you who soft bait most of the time rarely anchor then.  You are drift fishing most of the time.  What about burley?  Do you drop a burley bomb while drifting?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 8:59am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

No berley & no anchoring required barafat.

I'm looking for a drift speed of +/-  .5 knot.
Quicker than that, out goes the drogue.
Also, when fish are sighted on the sounder, I aim to drift along that same depth line.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 3:27pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yip spot on Uncle. 

I also agree the best wat to learn the lure technique is to leave the bait at home. You do need to actively think about what you're doing when softbaiting. For instance, along most or our beaches you will need to be working your lure close to the bottom, so have the correct retrieve speed / drift speed, matched with the right weight jig head is essential. Once you get past the notion that you just dangle a softbait in the rod holder and let it do the work, and actually think about what you are doing you'll pretty soon work it out.   

Regarding bait verses lures, I went through a phase of relying heavily on softies for a few years - and had some exceptional results. I believe the average size caught on softbaits is significantly better than fishing baits in the same area. One draw back of taking "newbies" out softbaiting though is that it does take a few trips to get the hang of it, and a day of catching nothing while others on board catch everything can make it a bit tough on them. Bait is probably a bit more forgiving in that sense.

However, my fishing evolution has developed to be similar to Marligator's in that we predominantly now fish 1-3kg line weight, and doing so is far easier with bait and berley out over the sand where we have space to play.

To contradict all of the above though - if I'm in a comp and targetting big snapper, I'm big baits and berley all day!

Proud supporter of Ronald McDonald House & the team at Legasea

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jack Hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 8:43pm
Jack Hammer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Softbaits and sliders when snapper fishing.  If I'm taking the kids fishing I'll bring stink bait and berley.  They use a basic ledger rig and I'll stray line if anchored or flick softies if drifting.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote tedc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 12:16pm
tedc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Was down Matakana, roughly inside Karewa, for sunrise.
Nice fish on the first cast of the softbait, choice. Ended with 5 snaps all in the 40s and back at the ramp by 9am. Was fairly slow to be fair. All fish came out of 12m.
Simon's situation was grave so he used gravy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 7:32am
MrWildabeast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Beautiful conditions yesterday,always nice to get a feed and back to the ramp by nine is well done 👏  what softbait colours were doing the damage?
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tedc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 7:45am
tedc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Not sure of the name but a red and yellow jerk shad type and new penny. The best fish came to an orange slider being dragged along.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 11:14am
Silver
Silver

Awesome, cheers
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 10:02pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey everyone,

A bit concerned about the lack of knowledge out there about crossing the Kaituna Cut bar.

We were just outside the bar towing a livie hoping for a Kingie bite at 1pm on Sunday - an hour after dead low tide, when a large white hard top bolted into the mouth to try and get home. Not sure if they bottomed out or pulled up in time - but there was no way that boat was ever going to get up there!

If anyone has any doubts about when to cross based on tide direction / height and what swell height is tolerable in a boat of a certain size, then just post up here and ask.

Whilst I’m not claiming to be the gate keeper to the cut, I’ve been through enough to know that coming home at low tide is a low percentage play… and I’d sure rather not have to compromise my crew to try and save someone who made an obviously poor decision!

Sounds like another boat flipped there on Saturday morning too. I hope everyone made it home okay after that…

My golden rule is to not trust what swell map is suggesting the swell is - rather check A Buoy readings on the port of tauranga webpage and check what the swell actually is doing. If that page has frozen or is under repair - as it occasionally is, then go and physically look at the crossing before launching.

Another fabulous tool is the live bar cam that is constantly live streamed on YouTube. Go on there and scroll back through the last tide cycle to see where the sand bars are and whether there are waves breaking the whole way across at different stages of the tidal flow.

Stay safe out there team,
Speedy

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 10:06pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

On a different note, anyone noticed how poor condition the snapper / trevs and kahawai are at the moment?

From the weekends catch all 4 of our trevs we’re ‘slabs’ and prob a quarter of the snapper too. Some kahawai were in great nick, but others were skeletons…

At this time of year they should all be fat as - bit of a worry, or just an anomaly that will correct itself?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 11:13pm
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good advice regarding the Kaituna bar - thanks Speedy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 7:14am
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yep Speedy some good advice there about crossing Kaituna cut, plenty of people have come to grief on that bar, even though I live in the Mount most of my fishing is out there is it has so much territory to choose from.(bit less nowadays)
I use two hours each side of low tide as my rule of thumb bearing in mind two hours after low with an incoming is way more friendly than outgoing.
A Buoy website is a fantastic tool to use and the cams like you said, it is good to look at it the day before on low tide to gauge it I will as it changes so much at times. I'm still trying to figure out if the diversion has affected it, hard to measure that one. 
I've had a couple of frights there over the years so erring on the side of caution is always the go as with all boating, if you pick the right days it's a safe option for fishing 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 5:05pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

100% agree with everything you said there Speedy, just bare in mind there are a few jet rigged trailer boats who use the bar and they can cross close to or even at low tide. This is a concern to novice boaties as they may mistakenly think the bar is safe to cross and follow them in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 7:51pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers Speedy, some good tips there. I've never been over that bar. But wanting to this season. I think coast guard do a course on crossing this bar.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 10:25pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Give me a shout kitno whenever you’re keen to go - I can help with a few areas to start investigating - depending on your targets… also happy to offer my thoughts on crossing, or you can follow us - or maybe even just jump in with us!

Marligator - yeah, some people will see the big cray / charter boat blast through and they think there must be a heap of water there… not the case. The bloke I saw on Sunday was certainly an outboard.., Honda my guess judging by the silver colouring…

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nick-D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 11:46am
Nick-D View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yep, made this mistake myself in the past. Fortunately it was flat as a tack in the wee frewza so we just trimmed up and putted across. Definately a bar that deserves respect.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 9:30am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Harbour mission last night: 4 snapper 35 to 48cm. 1 Trevally and a bunch of kahawai.

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 12:26pm
Silver
Silver

Nice feed 👍
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 7:42pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Everyone,
I went along Matakana early this morning in my dinghy for 2 to 3 hours, nice conditions.
Stopped in 15m inside Karewa and plenty of enquiries then moved in to 6-7m when wind came up. Ended up with 7 pannies all under 40cm and a nice trev(softbaits). Been quite fishy down there of late, must be getting into the harbour as well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 8:12pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Forgot to mention I was bringing in a pannie and I'm looking down to confirm what it is when under 3m from the boat a gannet punched the water. Nearly fudged me undies, I couldn't see the fish at this stage, they must see the flashing of the fish, there's no way he could swallow 37cm of snapper
Page  <1 388389390391392 413>