tauranga fishing

Page  <1 387388389390391 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 3:02pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm going out from Omokoroa, very early.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 3:19pm
MrWildabeast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Best of luck ๐Ÿ‘
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Venatori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 7:53pm
Venatori View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Was hoping for Monday dusk but this wind is just little annoying
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 5:11pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey team,

We were out on Sunday just gone. Fished early along Matakana in 12m and action was quick. Grabbed 7 snaps up to about 40cm as "insurance" and then pushed out to Penguin Shoals for a crack at an ultralight line trev or kahawai. 

Current was intense initially, making it nigh on impossible, but we persevered and caught a few more snapper before moving spots to try and "shelter" behind the reef to make life easier. Turns out there were no fish in the steadier water behind the reef, so we up'd sticks and boosted it back to try inside Karewa. 

Current here by now was nearly dead flat, so was painful - with bugger all happening. Eventually though Hayds did get onto a kahawai - but after an hour on 1kg line we netted it knowing that it would be well short of the 2.1kg needed. Was a good dust off though - and proved that your organisation needs to be immaculate to play this game. Ours wasn't perfect - I had the anchor on a buoy to throw off so we could then be mobile to chase the fish - but the fish bet me to rope and meant Hayds had to clamber around the cabin to get to the front to unwrap his line (he was so close to falling in for a swim too - was hilarious seeing the fright in his eyes as he nearly went in for a dip in the 14 deg water!). 

With certain line damage resulting he was then forced to fish with even less drag, and it was a fluke that he wasn't busted off to be honest. 

Good day out though, and forecast looking great for this weekend too. Might try a repeat, but based down around Motiti this time...  
Proud supporter of Ronald McDonald House & the team at Legasea

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 7:33pm
Silver
Silver

Hey speedy, cheers for the report ๐Ÿ‘ Good day out! What did you get the snaps on? If it was SB, what colours? I had to work and didn't manage to escape for a fish
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 7:51pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

First opportunity for all on Sunday so I joined the rabble.
6-30 at the ramp & it was all on, lol.
I went down Matakana, about opp Karewa in 12-14 mtrs & had a good bin full by 10am
Managed to get back to the ramp before it went nuts again.
Most of mine were on a Z-man curly tail in coconut ice.

Was real nice to be back out on the water.
Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 8:28pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sunday morning in the harbour. Enough kahawai around to feed Africa. Got a hit on live kahawai but didn't stick, bugger.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 9:34pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Another Sunday report, went out from Kaituna cut to the back of Motiti for a dozen Tarakihi, was a bit slow, then worked our way back along the eastern side of Motiti which was sheltered from the northwerst wind picking up some snapper on softbaits. Funny enough the best snapper fishing we had was in 12 to 13 mts on sand on the way home.
Also today went along Matakana to level with Karewa in a workmates boat about lunchtime when the wind  dropped and went southwest, we had a fun couple of hours. We started drifts in 4 mts up to about 10 mts using softbaits, ended up with a dozen snapper around 40 cm, some of the fish were caught in 4mts, it probably helped as there was no other boats and overcast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 4:48pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one Greg! Even a 40cm fish gives a good account for themselves in 4m of water!!!

When we were there on Sunday, we drifted laterally along the beach in 12m, and found most of the action to be on a softbait that was picked up on the drop (the old squid vicious being the better performer) or on a very lightly weighted strayline set lobbed out 20m behind the boat - using 6/0 recurve hook, small cube of skippy / pillie, on a 'soft action' rod left in the rod holder until the fish is fully hooked)

Proud supporter of Ronald McDonald House & the team at Legasea

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote barafat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 10:49am
barafat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just wondered how many of you regular fishermen commenting on this site use soft baits most of the time?  Are soft baits doing the damage more than smellies?  I still use baits most of the time and maybe I need to be more proactive with the soft baits
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 12:16pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Snapper fishing for me means lure fishing, mostly softbaits but also Kaburas & jigs when appropriate.
Will be interesting to hear what others think.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 1:22pm
Silver
Silver

Same here, I don't take bait with me 99% of the time. Softbaits are my go to for a normal days fishing, with kaburas and slow jigs making up the rest of the arsenal. Lures and softbaiting take practice but you can't beat catching fish light gear in my opinion ๐Ÿ‘
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 1:26pm
Silver
Silver

and less complaints when you don't come home stinking of bait that's been in the sun most of the day..especially from the mrs
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 3:21pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Big stinking slabs of bait for me, but I should give lure fishing more of a go.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 3:31pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Havenโ€™t used dead bait for nearly 2 years now. Like anything a bit of a learning curve but catch rate is as good if not better. Still will drop a live bait for Kingies if the jigs arenโ€™t firing.
The main difference is you hunt the fish rather than the bringing the fish to you. Also if I take an inexperienced fisherman out Iโ€™m not spending half the time baiting their hooks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 6:50pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I used to be on the dark side (soft baits etc) but have come back to the light (bait) as I predominantly fish ultra light tackle (2-4kg line) for snapper, so bait is the way to go.

I still occasionally use soft baits or kaburas is desperate to get a feed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 7:35pm
Silver
Silver

Kaburas seem like cheating sometimes, when they work it's ridiculous how well. SPs can be frustrating when trying to get into them, best advice I got was, if you want to improve when lure fishing. Leave your bait at home, it forces you to persevere ๐Ÿ‘
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 7:59pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Interesting to see someone come back from the darkside to the light Marligator, don't think I've seen that before although plenty of people do both I guess. Most of my fishing is softbaiting and I like to tow a livie at the same time. I think bait rules in the harbour but have caught snaps with softies there particularly in the entrance, when I take family outside harbour I should be using bait and berley more as casting softies not so easy for them.
Lure fishing is good for spur of the moment trips as can be quite minimal with gear which is what the kayakers like, another characteristic is I don't think I have ever gut hooked a snapper, always lip hooked.
A negative with lures is the bling factor, I'm always getting tempted to buy the latest and greatest, theres a lot of softbaits ,jigs etc sitting in the shed that are not getting used(bet I'm not the only one)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 8:51pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by GregS GregS wrote:

A negative with lures is the bling factor, I'm always getting tempted to buy the latest and greatest, theres a lot of softbaits ,jigs etc sitting in the shed that are not getting used(bet I'm not the only one)

No. No your not the only one they are nice and shiny though ๐Ÿ™„
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 8:54pm
Silver
Silver

Guilty of that as well, new lures and SPs gathering dust in the garage...I will use them one day ๐Ÿ˜
Here fishy..fishy....
Page  <1 387388389390391 413>