tauranga fishing

Page  <1 379380381382383 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 7:17am
MrWildabeast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good on ya Thumbs Up The wind has been a shocker!! Ouch
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwikoro. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 3:15pm
Kiwikoro. View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

If it helps Badger,just about every time I gave the berly a decent mulch up it seemed to intice a flurry of strikes,was using 6/0 with 5/0 keeper hook,a fine sports circle hook, no need to strike hard just pull the weight on after a reasonable run seem to be most successful. Dropped a few but got a decent feed out of it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote RAMCO600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 1:39pm
RAMCO600 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My young fella was shark fishing off cave bay last night with his girlfriend and hooked up to what he thought was a bronzie, turned out to be a small great white
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 2:37pm
Silver
Silver

Beautiful fish, good stuff. Are there normally small whites hanging around? Or a bit of a rarerity.cheers
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RAMCO600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 3:06pm
RAMCO600 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Seems to be quite a few in the harbour at the moment
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 10:31pm
Silver
Silver

Hmmmm interesting
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote badger99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 12:22am
badger99 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

cheers kiwi koru :)
might have another crack tomorow night. hopefully wind goin with the current
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 7:00am
Comfortably Numb View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

......yay😦
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 10:31am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Had a go at my first night fishing in the harbour on Saturday. Didn't go far, just up into the Otumotai Channel. Probably not the best night. 10-15kt westerly and a full moon. Knocked off at midnight with a 32 and 40cm snapper. Leaving a line out when I emptied the burly bags and cleared the baitboard was a bit dumb and resulted in being taken to the cleaners and a bit through trace. Any hints for next time would be appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 10:53am
Silver
Silver

Hey coutta, just my opinion but the harbour at night i find fishes better on the flats as the fish are less weary and more likely to feed close in. Either straylining with no weight or a longer than normal trace. More success on the outgoing for me, but you did well with the moon and the bloody wind making it harder!! Thumbs Up Lately I've been softbaiting and using sliders out from the harbour entrance, with some success. What depth were you fishing in?
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 5:28pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Mid channel was about 26 ft. I went up into 18 - 20.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 8:03pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Coutta, I'm guessing it was an outgoing tide?
At 7-8m I'd call that deep for harbour fishing If you're wanting to persist at that spot (which may be worth it), try straylining a bait 30 odd metres back, swivel, 800mm trace, half oz ball sinker sliding on the trace, lumo bead above the hook, 7/0 recurve, strip baits about 75mm long but not wide. Adjust the sinker weight if needed.
It also doesn't hurt to have a ledger off the back corner sitting on a reasonably steep angle. Keep quiet and keep lighting to a minimum, especially headlights moving around on the surface.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 8:28am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks Mr W and Kitno. Open to suggestions where and when best to fish. I've done about 30 trips to Tauranga so far this year but that was my first go at night fishing the harbour. I normally fish up the outside of Matakana or when the water warms do a bit around Penguin and Mayor. I cut my teeth fishing the Tamaki Estuary in Auckland and have to say I enjoyed it the other night in the harbour. Having read your reply Kitno, had too many lights on. Thanks for the tips and hope to catch up some time.https://static.cloudflareinsights.com/beacon.min.js" data-cf-beacon="{"rayId":"5fa6f060df3f16d5","version":"2020.11.6","si":10}">
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 9:51pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by RAMCO600 RAMCO600 wrote:

My young fella was shark fishing off cave bay last night with his girlfriend and hooked up to what he thought was a bronzie, turned out to be a small great white

What does shark fishing involve? Not a joke question, I'm genuinely interested. I saw a guy feeling a bronzie once and would be keen to give it a go.

I have a TLD25 full of 80lbbraid and one full of 50lb mono. What else do you need, and how is it done?

Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RAMCO600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 6:11am
RAMCO600 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Go with the braid set up 400 pound trace and a big circle hook with,flatten barb down,most beaches have them cave bay quite a lot at the moment, put on a chunk of bait with a sacrificial weight attached walk it out 10 or so metres and wait
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 8:24am
Comfortably Numb View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Don’t forget to walk back in though ....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RAMCO600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 9:17am
RAMCO600 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yea forgot to mention that ,we were out in boat Monday night not far from cave bay did quite well 12 snapper and 4 trevally until Mr Great white turned up he was about 6-7 foot long ,that was the end of the fishing though but was cool to see ,was a first for me
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 9:23am
Silver
Silver

Thats a nice haul of fish! Good stuff Clap It shouldn't but it makes me a bit nervous hearing of big whites around especially when I surf just round the corner Pinch But its their home and I'm the visitor...just don't want to be on the menu!
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 9628 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 7:17pm
9628 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sharks love those skippys any part, best to use the head or bits there of even the frame with a bit of meat left on. Trace is the main thing even a steel trace means he wont bite you offSmile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 8:56am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The weather forecast is looking good for a couple of late night harbour missions next week.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Page  <1 379380381382383 413>