tauranga fishing

Page  <1 341342343344345 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 9:20am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you are fishing up the harbour further all you need is a reel that holds 250m of 8kg line as the bottom is clean unless you are near a harbour marker, just up anchor and follow the fish. Over a clean bottom you do not need heavy line, just be patient and have faith in your gear.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 8:35pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Been in the Harbour today. Found a spot out of the wind by the container wharves, but only bites were baby and undersize snapper. Like flippin' piranhas stripping everything to the bone. Kept me busy though!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 5:36pm
Comfortably Numb View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Rather been trying me luck than tapping on a keyboard maaaate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 6:02pm
Gold
Gold

It was a stunning evening. I'd rather be out there "feeding the fish" than most other things. Sustainable fishing too! It's all about being on the water for me. Catching fish is a bonus.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 7:30pm
Gold
Gold

Good tip on the kingfish marligator. I usually end up panicking and cranking the drag up and busting off!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 5:28pm
Comfortably Numb View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Mate. me too 
I panic and go, holy sheeeeet. I got  a king here!!!!!
I have landed one or two to be honest. I flipped out the anchor (on a float) and landed him.
Some wise wisdom being shared here  - thank you.
I am learning and employing this intel.
Cheers!
CN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 5:54pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Some good advice from Marligator.
Try to remember, the harder you fight the king, the harder he will fight back.
He sure as hell don't want to be caught.
If you can, & the where the seafloor you are fishing is clear, let him run on a medium drag setting.
Two or three good hundred mtr runs will start to get the odds a bit more in your favour.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:36pm
Gold
Gold

Any tips on good spots / tricks to catch one? I have NEVER caught one in Tauranga harbour. Every time I go out I catch a livie (usually Piper or similar size kahawai) and hang him under a balloon close to where I caught the livie, but nothing. Ever. I only fish from lunchtime til just after sunset - they are the only times I can get out because of work or kids sports.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 9:17pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Coastbusters Coastbusters wrote:

Any tips on good spots / tricks to catch one? I have NEVER caught one in Tauranga harbour. Every time I go out I catch a livie (usually Piper or similar size kahawai) and hang him under a balloon close to where I caught the livie, but nothing. Ever. I only fish from lunchtime til just after sunset - they are the only times I can get out because of work or kids sports.

We've caught a few up to around 15kg in the entrance on livies. My method is not to anchor, but idle the motor in forward (or reverse depending on speed of the current) next to one of the channel makers. I find the outer ones work better - but others may disagree. Run the livie on a circle hook (bridle rigged) on 100 pound leader, and about 10 ounces of lead above the swivel (running sinker rig).
Would be difficult to fish this way solo, but if one person is driving, and one or two people are running baits then it works okay...
Cheers
Speedy

Proud supporter of Ronald McDonald House & the team at Legasea

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 10:17pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Long time no post or fishing but going to head out Friday, any fish being caught down motiti ways lately? After a few snaps
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 10:34pm
Gold
Gold

I'll give that a try, thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 11:12pm
Titanium
Titanium

Coastbusters, as Speedy says those markers can be productive, but also just drifting through the entrance on the edge of the shipping channel also works on the Matakana side as does through the deep hole in the middle of the entrance. The only problem with the deep hole is that it is quite foul and there is a hell of a current and you need somebody good on the wheel to keep the boat and hence fish in the deeper water or else you will smoked by bigger fish, I use 37kg braid when fishing the hole. I have been smashed off by a couple of big fish which I just couldn't stop on 37 with about 15kg of drag. Further up the harbour just try drifting past the channel markers with a livey, or even bridle rig a livey and run about a 6 oz sinker above the swivel and just slowly troll it along the channel edge or around points like the Motuhoa Island end of Rangiwai, or Motuhoa Island itself etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 4:13am
Gold
Gold

I will try these, thanks. Where is this deep hole in the entrance and how deep is it? My chart just says it is all 12m deep.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 6:09am
Titanium
Titanium

It is about 33m at its deepest, this is also a good spot to jig for kingys, it is well worth while having a sound around this area as sometimes you will pick the kingys up on your sounder or find a school of baitfish and that is where the kingys will be. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 9:14pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ok thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 1:28pm
Gold
Gold

Cool. Good to know, thanks. Are they there all year or just summer?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 6:44pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got some today all good
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 7:08pm
Titanium
Titanium

They normally turn up after xmas until now and then there is another fairly short run in the spring.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 10:24am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Bit of a hard day yesterday. Started fishing about 8am off Matakana inside Karewa. Put some burly down and fished through to the top of the tide. Ended up with four snapper, all over 40cm, a good trev and heaps of big kahawai. Kept four for the smoker. Boats were moving around all morning but staying in one spot at least gave us a feed.  Conditions were great so no complaints.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 7:28am
Gold
Gold

Got a good 48cm snapper and a few kahawai inside the harbour by Rangiwaea island yesterday.
Page  <1 341342343344345 413>