tauranga fishing

Page  <1 340341342343344 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JasonEdward62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 12:54pm
JasonEdward62 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Heaps of skippies Sat late afternoon WNW of Mayor just North of track to Mayor. Seems to be a hot spot for them as we've found them their a few times. Caught 1 on the way out after seeing dolphins but didn't stop to troll for long.

Just 1 small snapper after an hour and half berleying in 18 m, then a snorkel at Mayor for 7 legal paua among the many smaller ones - all well tucked under rocks - and an unlucky decent sized female cray. The cotton gloves I was wearing were fingerless (bad choice) so ripped up hands bagging the sea weta but what can you do?

More trolling on the way back at the same spot with overcast and light levels falling and they were biting very hard, couldn't set gear before it was nailed. Left after 8 more in about 30 mins. Bait freezer a bit chokka so had to fillet and salt them keeping frames for berley. High time I had a big berley session as the old berley freezer is chokka as well...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cliff M-F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 9:20pm
Cliff M-F View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm taking a young fella out with me on the jet ski next Saturday, for the Tauranga Sports Fishing Club TAKF comp and weather permitting may head on down towards the Bowentown entrance to see how that is firing, unless anyone has any ideas of places closer to the Mt entrance?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 10:15am
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cliff, did pretty well last week drifting off Pap Beachabout 2kms offshore. Pretty sure Matakana island area is fishing good too. Micro jigs and kaburas were outfishing the softies. Cheers, Steve.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Best Intentions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 12:50pm
Best Intentions View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Had a good day with two excited grandchildren at Motiti on Saturday.  Was very calm and we came home with 4 snapper for the table.  Interestingly the boat longline we put out came back with all of the baits untouched and no fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote alan syme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 9:35pm
alan syme View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Went out from Bell Rd today looking for kings at schooner, got blown out by the wind after a few non eventful drifts. Changed tactics and went lure drifting off the sand on the coast for snapper. Got a feed with sliders outperforming soft baits. Highlight was a 62cm snapper which was a good fight on the light gear then released for another day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 7:42pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had a work trip out bottom bashing today, caught some good turkeys out the back of astro had a stripey follow a couple of mine up out of 90ms. Cool to see.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 1:53pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Downtown Downtown wrote:

Had a work trip out bottom bashing today, caught some good turkeys out the back of astro had a stripey follow a couple of mine up out of 90ms. Cool to see.

Lol - that would certainly get the pulse racing! And it’d be Murphy’s bloody luck that you then hook it on the terakihi gear!!!
Proud supporter of Ronald McDonald House & the team at Legasea

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Best Intentions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 8:35am
Best Intentions View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Went out the Kaituna cut on Wednesday to Motiti.  All we caught were very large Kahawai that resulted in some horrendous tangles.  Sometimes I wish I was still using nylon because when braid tangle it's a real pain.  All Kahawai were caught on the bottom with no signs of schools on the surface.  There was a purse Seiner spending a lot of time on the Maketu side of Motiti.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 8:39am
Comfortably Numb View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Any harbour luck of late
Might try tomorrow 
Cheers
CN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SliderC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 10:18am
SliderC View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Heading out tomorrow and was looking for some advice on where to find Live Bait.
Last couple of times we have only been able to really small Mackerel in the Harbour.
Is anyone else having this issue.
feel free to PM me. 
cheers 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 8:02pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Harbor full of small to medium kahawai at mo - nothing else in our burley trail the last 2 nights (no macks or others as usual). Did get good snappers but had to work for them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 5:49pm
Silver
Silver

Reel ... nice day out on the water today.
Like glass and KY jumping everywhere. Especially in shallow current. 
No roe now. 
Good haul, no snaps thou. 
Cheers
CN 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 8:41am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Now I'm retired I can avoid the Sulphur Point ramp on a weekend but yesterday looked too good to miss.  Had the pleasure of meeting Uncle for the first time. He gave me one of his new Kobura skirts to try out. Never got to use it as the bait fishing was too good even though I spent most of the time unhooking Lynnes fish and rebaiting her hooks. I must be one of those sensitive new age guys I've heard about.
One short of a couple of limits but only because I couldn't be bothered pulling out another skippy or cutting up one of the kahawai I'd bled for the smoker.  Off the water at 11am so missed the rush.
Great day and nice to meet you Bill.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 9:35am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Good to meet you too Kev.Big smile
We had a good day also so were back at the ramp shortly after you.
Launching & retrieving was all straight forward, no hassles so pretty good for a busy Saturday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 5:25pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Is anyone still catching kingies in the harbour during the day? I havent been on the water in couple of months, and just want to know what is still hanging around the harbour during the day - Snaps, KY, kingies, trevs etc? Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 5:03pm
Silver
Silver

Hi 
Last weekend I had a great time with big KY
Couldn't get a livie to save me 
Reckon there were some kings around to - big splashes 
Did you have any luck?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 7:38pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'm going out tomorrow, hopefully.

Big KY in the harbour? Where abouts?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 10:31pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Comfortably Numb don't be afraid to use big kahawai for live baits for kingies, a 10 kg kingy will quite happily take a 1.5 kg kahawai.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 8:31am
Silver
Silver

Just off the points by Bowentown and on the other side of the entrance 
In quite a bit of current too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 8:33am
Silver
Silver

Thank you big KY = big kings
Need a bigger rod! Darn it, TLD15 or 25
Page  <1 340341342343344 413>