tauranga fishing

Page  <1 339340341342343 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 6:18pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lizid, nothing wrong with your lure pattern that is for sure. The other thing I find with skippies is that if it is really calm they are often lure shy during the middle of the day, but will bite well early in the morning.

With respect to skippies for burley, one of the things I used to do when we were getting big skippies was to take the fillets off and burley the frames. That way you could get a heap of skippies and it wouldn't take up much room in the freezer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 7:10pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Marli, trolled from 11:30am til about 4pm - sea was lumpy. I normally take the sides off, lay them skin side down then remove the "hump" leaving about 3/8" of flesh on the skin. That "hump" plus head, frame and guts plus the blood from the bottom of the bin all goes into burley pile. The "bait" sides I cut in half, put into small freezer bags and squeeze most air out before freezing. My bait fishing is so efficient that I now have quite a surplus of these quality pieces. I have 2 machines for chopping then mincing up my "brew" and generally aim for 30 - 40% skippy, 20% old pillies and the rest being kahawai and pretty much anything else except snapper (policy decision). This year I have 40kg of minced hoki heads to mix in. Make 4 & 5kg bombs with only enough salt water added to allow mixing (very hard work that bit). Very very effective burly. Now and again have gifted one only to be subsequently pestered by offers to buy more from me - turned down.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 8:42pm
Titanium
Titanium

Lizid, sounds like you are onto it. When it is a bit lumpy they usually bite through the day s you must have been in an area with no skippies, they can be hard to find sometimes or just not there at all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 6:59pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Got on the water this morning at 6.30am in a 14ft tinny my wife made me buy for our trips to Houhora. (true) Way easier to tow for a short day than the Senator.  Started fishing at 7am about 500 metres up from the Matakana Bank in 50 ft.  All over by 8.30 with snapper from 35cm to just over 50.  Home in Rotorua and cleaned up by lunchtime.
Don't have to go far at the moment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 7:03pm
Titanium
Titanium

Well did some miles chasing those elusive skippies today, got 4 early on just outside Pudney and that was it. Spent some time around the 10 mole looking for kingys but only got rats. The tried for a terakihi but only got small snaps. So trolled back in and came across a heap of sign on the bottom in 60m, so down with the kabura and straight into small snapper got 6 32-36cm jobbies plus 82cm kingy which cam home with me, that took ages in that depth of water on the light gear. So all up a pretty disappointing day but got a feed anyway.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:18pm
Comfortably Numb View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hello all
As I write this I am in Japan, Tokyo.
Very interesting country, peeps are into their fishing/raw fish.
Couldn't find a fishing shop though.
We have it very lucky in NZ so ... fish on!
Kanpai!
CN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 12:31pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Coutta ... what / where is the Matakana Bank? Surely not where those island rascals stash their ill gotten gains? Anyone else ever witness them hauling their nets (that were right across the creek up Blue Gum bay) with 4 wheel drives on the beach?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 4:44pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by lizid lizid wrote:

Anyone else ever witness them hauling their nets (that were right across the creek up Blue Gum bay) with 4 wheel drives on the beach?

There was an old guy, known as Johhny Sausage who grew watermellons on the island.
He used to purchase old station waggons for the locals to net from.
When the vehicle was too rusted out to be useable, he'd buy a new one.
I never actually saw them in operation but well remember the ol' boy telling me how it all worked.
He used to cart around a small chillybin with a dozen cans to get himself through the first part of the day, lol.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 10:53am
Silver
Silver

Went out early but forgot the bloody bait ... 
Got some piper in the end and went for kings at a few spots. One had a sniff and that was all. 
Heaps of boats out there, Easter obviously. 
Sunrise and moon set made the day!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 10:54am
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 11:28am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Picked up a few ky and trevs in the harbour yesterday, couldn't get the snaps to play ball though.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 3:27pm
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went out to Rabbit and then 2 mile this morning. Kahawai were on fire and then I threw back two legal (but small) snapper as I thought the day was going off, then I only caught one more legal snapper Shocked. Back home by 10:30 though.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 5:03pm
Titanium
Titanium

had two of the grankids out for a fish this morning. Fished the harbour for the last hour of the incoming at a spot where we often get some good trevs, the boys each got a trev of 1.9 kg. As soon as the tide started turning we shifted to our outgoing tide spot up by Motuhoa and fished there for an hour or so without a bite, one of the few times at this time of the year we have not got any snapper. Shifted outside the harbour up past Karewa got some snaps up there and the boys each got a kingy 73cm, bit gutting for them they were not legal but gave them good scraps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote DAZA 2+1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 8:59pm
DAZA 2+1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Shot up Matakana yesterday for a crack at a few snapper and caught this 17kg 116cm kingie. Hard work on the softbait gear but managed to land it after playing it for just over 2 hours. Couldn't of managed it without help from my fishing buddy Phil. Awesome day out, never know what you might catch, Epic :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 9:44pm
Titanium
Titanium

Well done, nice kingi on the soft bait gear.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 9:49pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Excellent effort on the silly string DAZA.
Bet the arms were getting a bit shaky by the end.

I know about that 'cos I played one about 3 weeks ago, for approx 1hr 20 minsLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DAZA 2+1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 2:22pm
DAZA 2+1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

1Hr 20's a great effort there Uncle. Scotty Rod holder caught my kingie, caught on a microjig. Must of been the flavour of the day as we caught two kingies in quick succession. Lots of anchovies around so must of looked similar to the microjig.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 6:12am
Titanium
Titanium

Still plenty of skippies out there, saw them on Saturday in 30m between Bowentown and Karewa but they wouldn't take a lure, too calm. But I heard later a mate got a heap out at the Penguins and another person I now got heaps northwest of Mayou. I went out yesterday arvo around Penguins but no sign of any there except for a purse seiner stooging around out deeper, had a look out there but no sign of anything. Again I think too calm, but at about 2.30 the wind started getting up so worked my way back towards the 10 Mile, and got into the skippies right on top of the 10 mile, it was getting pretty gnarly so after getting 16 I started working my way back in picking the odd one up here and there until I got into the 5 Mile at which point I pulled the gear in and came home. Ended up with 25 skippies which along with the ones I already had in the freezer has got my winter bait sorted.
I have found that when it is flat calm the skippies can be very reluctant to take lures, but as soon as the wind gets up and it starts getting a bit rougher they come on the bite really well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 8:33am
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Marligator ... our last skippy hunt was a week ago and all we found between Bowentown and Karewa was masses of XOS kahawai of which we took a couple before continuing on our skippy circuit. No skippies so back to the Kahawai for another half dozen. Friday was a trip out to Mayor pins but sounder playing up in lumpy conditions kept us down to 6 gemfish and 1 modest bluenose. Stayed too long out there so had to hoof it back through vastly improved conditions and hoards of other boats (probably out there for the night). Did see what may have been a small workup at the 50 meter mark on the way out - 4 or 5 black fins in the mix a well. Were running late for main mission so after 1 circle to find they were moving very quick we kept going.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 12:48pm
Silver
Silver

Nice effort here!
You deserve that gem on that line and after that length of time.
Page  <1 339340341342343 413>