tauranga fishing

Page  <1 337338339340341 414>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 3:52am
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I normally only get gurnard by luck (all of my fishing is like that). When trying to target them I use 18R longline hooks and try to let them hook themselves rather than trying to strike a set with a standard hook. I’m normally fishing on the sand east of two mile reef. Maybe there is a better method as I’ve never had a bin full of them though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Anticipation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 11:47am
Anticipation View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Guys,
I struggle to find any livies in the harbour.
Had luck with the change of light in the morning off the end of the container wharf, but can only rarely get on the water at that time of the day - usually a bit later.
Any suggestions for finding them during daylight hours would be really appreciated.
Cheers
Jim
If you think you can do something, or you think you can't - you are probably right
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SliderC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 11:52am
SliderC View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Same here, I have even been finding it hard at Change of Light.
Last time we managed some Kawaii in by the old mount wharf, however prefer finding Mackies. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote badger99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 8:38pm
badger99 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

oh gurnard :)
3 years ago we got 15 between tay st and rabbit island
now its only luck... normaly  randomly catch 1 on the matakana sand bar. have caught 2 in the harbour recently...
ive never tried it but maybe a trace off a sinker with a crab softbait and drift. sinker supposesd to stir up the sand and make it look like the crab stirring it up.
a mate reckons take a bird cage out and if you get one put it in there and send it  down, he rekons theyll grunt and attract other gurnard, but hes a bit of a joker.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 10:05pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Badger99 I used to do a similar thing with a 2oz sinker about 2 or 3 inches above a worm hook with a soft bait usually a small grub in new penny colour on the worm hook. Used to get quite a few gurnard on this rig plus plenty of snapper. I used to let it out well back from the boat and just left it in the rod holder whilst we drifted along normal soft baiting. Have not done it for a few years now as don't do much soft baiting anymore.
Also from what I see at competitions with gurnard as a species the numbers have dropped dramatically off Tauranga and there is only one reason for that and that is the trawlers coming in at night along the beaches while everybody is tucked up n bed. Just have to ask anybody living in the beach front houses they all say they see the trawlers coming close in late at night.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 8:58pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Did a night up Bowentown harbour last night. Full on, didn't stop. Fillets were really good with the bigger specimens having that really nice pre winter fat. Not a single white mushy flesh fish to be seen.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 9:41am
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks Mahem, I will give that a go.
I don't usually have a problem catching small Kahawai or piper for livies during the day in the harbour. Tiny hooked sabikis from sunnies or the warehouse with bits of squid or fish guts on by a wharf. You are supposed to catch them with nothing on the hooks but I never have. Put a heavy sinker on, like 8oz to stop tangles and leave the rod in the holder. The rocking boat will do the rest. Try different sabikis. Some do not work for me at all. Couldn't get any on a black magic one after 3 trips and I don't have much luck on the multi coloured ones. The really cheap tiny yellowy gold or sparkly ones work for me. I never get mackerel during the day though. My friend does early morning under the spotlights of the container wharf with a sabiki without bait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Anticipation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 9:22am
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Ghostbuster.
Appreciate your advice.Thumbs Up
If you think you can do something, or you think you can't - you are probably right
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Anticipation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 9:23am
Bronze
Bronze

Sorry - make that Coastbusters Embarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 6:58pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Gurnard off Papamoa seem scarce lately. Always used to catch them randomly softbaiting in the kayak off the sand but last few years barely seen any.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mayhem_Fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 7:04pm
Mayhem_Fishing View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks everyone for the gurnard comments. Didn’t actually try for any as we were having such a mean snapper session

I’ll get a report up shortly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Mayhem_Fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 7:36pm
Mayhem_Fishing View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi everyone,

We were fishing in the Aotea electrical mount snapper classics last weekend. We did pretty well, Dad took out first with a 79cm snapper and I took out 3rd and 6th with a 74cm (8-8.5kgs a new PB for me, felt pretty cool to release him) and a 70.5cm snapper. All those snapper were released. Tons of 1-2kg snapper around and a few around the 3-5kg mark.

Didn’t have any/much current so we fished a bit deeper, because what we’ve found is in really shallow water if you don’t have current your berley isn’t as effective.

Staylining big baits (blue mackerel and bullet tuna worked well) were very effective, I got my 70cm one on a live bait. Livebaits worked well but had quite a few by catches of kingies and John Dory (still very welcome!!)

Saw what we think was a sunfish jump clean out of the water about 10m away from us, was very weird and are still just guessing if it was one or something else that was big and weird looking!! Lots of skippys jumping around us through out the day too.

Was an epic day out on the water and i won’t forget that snapper for a while
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 9:03pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tip of the week:
Do not leave unused bait in a bucket outside for a couple of days
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 10:57am
Titanium
Titanium

Well done Hayden, was just talking to your old man, he said you guys had a hell session.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 3:34pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

Well done Hayden, was just talking to your old man, he said you guys had a hell session.

What do you guys reckon about the weight estimate of Hayden's fish?
It was in very good nick, and measured 74cm...

Cheers
Proud supporter of Ronald McDonald House & the team at Legasea

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 3:53pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Maybe 18 lb or slightly larger. But by the size of the grin its a 20lb for the lad.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 8:06pm
Comfortably Numb View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I got six piper this weekend passed ...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 10:22pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by fish-feeder fish-feeder wrote:

Maybe 18 lb or slightly larger. But by the size of the grin its a 20lb for the lad.

haha, yeah its hard to deny him the claims of a genuine trophy! But he has learnt how to hold the fish to the camera to enhance the appearance! 
Proud supporter of Ronald McDonald House & the team at Legasea

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 10:27pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That is one HUGE snapper!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 6:39am
Titanium
Titanium

Speedy it is always hard to tell in photos like that where the fish is pointed towards the camera making them look a lot bigger than they are. One of the things I look at is how the hand fits around the tail. In this photo bearing in mind Hayden is only 13, his finger and thumb are almost touching suggesting to me the fish is probably 17-18 pound, unless he has big hands with long fingers etc. A very nice fish alright. Mike the easiest way around this is to invest in a decent set of scales and weigh the fish in the net just after you lift it into the boat, only takes a few seconds (don't forget to deduct the weight of the net though LOL).
Page  <1 337338339340341 414>