tauranga fishing

Page  <1 326327328329330 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 10:18pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Went into the harbour today. A bit windy. Anchored up off Panepane point and got 5 massive Kahawai. Good fun on light gear. They were all in great condition, nice and fat with very full bellies. Still no sign of snapper for me yet!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SpermWhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 8:56am
SpermWhale View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Also went out yesterday and not even a nibble! (was windy!)

I normally fish outside the harbour, but have made a pact with myself that the next 5 trips I have to fish inside the harbour. I want to get my head around how to fish inside and the only way to do that is to get hooks in the water and try different things.

I was anchored here last night (photo below) from 6pm till 8.30pm (high tide was 9pm) 3.6m of water, burly down stray line out the back in the rod holder whilst i worked a softbait for hours.

Not asking for spots from anyone but my question is: Does fishing inside the habour have a season?
Could someone give me a guide to the months when 'typically' the fishing is hot in the harbour and when it is a bit harder to find the fish.

Wondering if my spot was rubbish or maybe in a different month that spot would of fired.

I am going to try get out again Sunday or after work next week. (might need more than my 5 trip goal to find these fish!)

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 10:40am
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Catching the little fish for live bait is the easy part. Just get a sabiki rig from sunnies or the warehouse, put some tiny bits of bait on and dangle it in the Berley trail, either weighted or not.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kiwikoro. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 1:10pm
Kiwikoro. View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Spermwhale,
Change of light and during the night are my preferred and more successful times to fish the harbour,most of my spots are incoming but I do have outgoing spots too.Wind with the tide usually dictates where I’ll be sitting.
I prefer to fish on the edges of channels,2 hrs either side of the tide seem to produce but I tend to fish right through the run in.
To start I use a strayine rig,slowly adding weight as the tide picks up or even cast out my line then adding the weight to have my trace wafting around out the back.Then taking weight off again as the tide slows towards slack tide and once again straylining.
I berly the whole time,frozen is ok but cloudy, I prefer a chunky Berly mashed while I’m fishing seems to work better,even cubing(small cubes)bits of bait is the go.
As you can see fishing in the harbour keeps you busy the whole time.You can’t just put a bait out and sit back if you want to be successful.
Full moon and any wind with a bit of southerly in it can make it a bit less productive.But you’ll never catch a fish without being out there trying.
Take a run around the harbour on a spring low tide you will learn a lot about where fish will feed and travel.
There’s some good fishing to be had in the harbour if you put in the time.From now right thru till about June.
Just remember it’s fishing not gathering so don’t be put off by a fishless trip, it happens to us all.Even if some tell you otherwise.
Good luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote maccasparks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 9:02pm
maccasparks View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

And don't be afraid to shallow - as in >1.5m .  It took me a few no fish trips to sort it but once you sort it it's all good . Sold the 12fter so haven't fished the harbour for a couple of years ......  good times.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SpermWhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 1:40pm
SpermWhale View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Kiwi Koro and Maccasparks, appreciate it. Good to know that there is a bit of a season and fish will start flowing in a bit more from here on untill June. Interesting to know the nights are productive which i guess makes sense if you lads are fishing in 1.5m of water!

I will keep at it and as I have said have made a pact with myself that i have to fish the harbour the next 5 outings. Pretty determined to just put the time in, I know once I have my head around it all the results will be great with after work missions well within reach.

Any one fished up Matapihi ways? or outside Harbourside restaurant? Would be cool to tie up there order some hot chips at night with lines out the back hahaha.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 3:33pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Best time is mid February thru May - nice and fat. December & January too high a percentage with white soft flesh and some of those very skinny as well. As an experiment a week ago I tried my well proven March spot - a dozen small to medium kahawai and not one snapper. Maybe a different trick for this time of year? Bowentown end is me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pullasiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 3:41pm
Pullasiki View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yea heya, We’ve had a few insane nights end of jan but end of feb - May is the best. We tried kauri point where its 10m and got a nice snap during mid day (fluke) last Friday.
I would write an essay but too busy. Bowentown is where I fish and ive worked out a few primo day time and night time spots there over a fair few years fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 4:31pm
Comfortably Numb View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi all
Those look great maps, any tips for Bowentown end please. Inner harbour locations please.
Cheers
CN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 8:39pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here's my 2c worth. Incoming tide.
Just after a low tide I will try and position the boat in a feeder channel that heads up on to the flats. These small channels will have current an hour into the flood tide about .5 deep. Berley of course, no specific type. 2 x lightly weighted or no weight at all straylines. 1/4 to 1/2 oz max ball sinker sliding on trace. Try casting around on different angles and lengths. Can be left in the rod holders with slight amount of drag on. Keep a close eye on the rod tip, bites are sometimes subtle or violent. Once the flats are covered, get up further if fishing has slowed. Starting again with no weight.
Talking with others fishos and reading post's are good but time out there doing it, is what will count. Night fishing isn't essential but I find it much better especially between 10pm and 1am. I'll post something later about fishing the outgoing tide.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 10:00pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Outgoing tide, I tend not to fish the first couple of hours as I've found it not too productive. This is now the time to fish the channels and their edges. I'll look for a channel that is close to the flats and will have a depth of at least 2m at dead low. In the last two hours of outgoing, the fish, especially snapper will congregate in this area waiting out the low tide before the flats are available again. I'll have 2x straylines out the back, slightly different lengths, just enough weight to get them down, 2x ledger rig's in close off the back corners with enough weight to keep them not to far away from the boat. Often good fish are caught right by the boat. Keep fishing right though to the low and also during slack tide. Definitely no weight at slack tide. Try flicking a couple of baits around, unweighted, and just let them be taken where they want to go.

As others have explained, there are plenty of methods to try, find what works for you and refine it. Some tips for night fishing shallow, .5 to 1.5m would be, keep quiet!!, keep lighting to a minimum, use berley, light weights, stick to the basics and don't over think it.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 9:14am
Silver
Silver

Thank you Kitno 
Especially for the low tide Intel; which has added another useful element to consider when waiting for the incoming tide. 
Will keep up the posts on how things progress.
Trying a few new spots this long weekend hopefully.
Cheers
CN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pullasiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 6:38pm
Pullasiki View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone been catching much in bowentown side of harbour? Waters warm enough but we just can’t seem to find them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 7:46pm
Silver
Silver

Had high hopes this weekend on the flats up ATH end of harbour
Saw so many stingrays, everywhere.
No snaps but some good KY.
Water is warming but I never do any good when I see the moon ride (today over Kati entrance) or when setting.
Too choppy on flats (w against tide).

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JasonEdward62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 11:58am
JasonEdward62 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Out last Friday night Athenree end of Harbour off the side of a big flat near the ski lane.
Berley from about 5.30 pm on the outgoing worked hard catching small fish returning 4 -6 just legals snaps and about the same number just under legal. Started catching around dark (as usual) ended up keeping two, one well legal, one about 40cm. Slow fishing and I expect we'd have been out of luck without the good salmon berley.

Much tastier fish and nice fatty filleting knife than the last 2 or 3 feeds of snaps we've had from off East of Tauranga to Motiti - those fish had no fat at all.

Sunday fished Mayor burleying hard with no luck in a few spots on E side of Mayor from 15 to 25 m.

Didn't see a snap big or small all day! Dammit!
Livies out all day as we berlyed but never saw a king. Dammit!

But picked up 13 turkeys on our favourite wee spot  - seems other boats sat right on top of the reef not getting much but we did ok on the edges...not fast tarakihi fishing but over an hour or so...

Then more berleying on top of Tuhua with a thousand other boats. Mate dropped a decent KY so we decided to target the schools of KY quietly sipping the surface all over the top of Tuhua. No takes trolling well clear of the schools so drifted and cast a nice skinny chrome lure with a wee rubber trout smelt following the chrome. No luck so switched to old faithful - a tiny blue and silver lure that always works the best for me. Hard work fishing the small spinner (and a top water lure hoping it would be munched or at least followed by a big yellow tail but no cigar for us) and only one KY landed but it was XOS and took out the Bowentown comp heaviest. I reckon the schools we saw were all very big KYs...

Nice day out but hard fishing for us with reports of slow fishing by all but a few decent snaps caught closer in.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kiwikoro. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 12:43pm
Kiwikoro. View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Another good session up the harbour this morning towards Motahoa,incoming tide,glassy calm.
7 very nice snapper and 2 kahawai.Returned the first fish caught on a new rod and reel and was rewarded.returned fish probably would have been the smallest of the day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 5:26pm
Silver
Silver

Proof is in the photos!
Nice job
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pullasiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 8:42pm
Pullasiki View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Fished Athenree side of harbour. up kauri point. Started fishing at a new spot at 7:20am. Nice cloud cover so expected good results. Bites were very tentative and shy but plenty of fish in the burley trail. Got about 5 from 30 - 40cm in 1.5 hours. Lost a really nice fish ‘maybe’ 8lb. Fish were biting like little peckers. Bites died right off at 9:20am. Salmon burley is go. Good fishing for October!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 9:06pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah went out Friday down town point ways And found the fishing pretty hard..... no workups like normal, heaps of sign but not much taking....
Glad I’m not the only one...
Maybe time to go up into harbour...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 5:37am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done KK, going by the tides over the weekend you must have been up the harbour real early, like 4 or 5am as it was a high tide at 7am up at Omokoroa yesterday.
Page  <1 326327328329330 413>