tauranga fishing

Page  <1 323324325326327 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 9:26am
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Coutta Coutta wrote:

They were really shy to the extent that a baitrunner wound right back would make them drop it. 

I found that alot years ago, thats when I took up straylining with small overheads and my fishing took off from there....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mad37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 7:53am
mad37 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey team , cousin and I shot out Saturday for a shot at the very gentleman hour's, about 9 ish I think it was . While the water was no way flash it was better than predicted, so headed straight down to our spot around motiti got thrown around a little bit on anchor but was still more enjoyable then the couch!
Had a good burley going and a variety of baits both on ledger and straylines to end up with 12 snaps most between 38 and 45 and a big red pig fish released to carry on with his life,was a little bit of a cold one but still a good day really
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 4:29pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Boat in the water at about 8am today.  The sea was flatter than my duck pond on opening morning.  Dropped the pick in about 65 ft out from Omanu and put a small burly pot on the bottom.  Fished lightly weighted baits well back from the boat and pulled two limits inside two hours.  Using 8/O hooks stopped the little ones and all fish went between 35 - 45 cm. 
S##t, its great to be retired.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 6:20pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Coutta Coutta wrote:

Boat in the water at about 8am today.  The sea was flatter than my duck pond on opening morning.  Dropped the pick in about 65 ft out from Omanu and put a small burly pot on the bottom.  Fished lightly weighted baits well back from the boat and pulled two limits inside two hours.  Using 8/O hooks stopped the little ones and all fish went between 35 - 45 cm. 
S##t, its great to be retired.
.  <div id="UMS_TOOLTIP" style=": ; cursor: pointer; : 2147483647; : transparent; top: -100000px; left: -100000px;">

Nice work fella. Most of us have to take leave to fish week days.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kindred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 7:56pm
kindred View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Saw a few boats heading in when I was going out about 10am ish - wondered if they had done well, went to 50m terry spots and got 6 fish then got slammed with coutas - seems like it was better in close
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 9:26am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah I remember those days Dave and its only recently I've realised how bloody inconvenient having to go to work was.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 6:29am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Looks like the Port of Tauranga nowcast is frozen again.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 3:08pm
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah Uncle I checked it at 4:30am and went back to bed! Was grumpy as when I got up!! Had to sell the boat but got a yak, couldn’t stop fishing!! Very cool but it’s a bit of getting used to. You got the f14 yet mate?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 6:05pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Tough day for us yesterday out of Bowentown. Turned left and headed up to Houmanga Bay. Spent the day in perfect conditions but only managed 1 gurnard, 1 blue cod and 2 snappers. There were some big schools of Kahawai round so they saved the day and we boated half a dozen of those before heading in.
Rubbing salt in my neighbour came past when we were cleaning the boat and said he had bined up by by 10am that morning on good sized snapper along Matakana.

Can anyone tell me where the so called fire break is on Matakana? I've tried numerous times to find it but can't see anything that I comsider a fire break.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 7:06pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by 14footFC 14footFC wrote:

Yeah Uncle . You got the f14 yet mate?

Yes Dan, up & running, lovin' it Big smile
Have named it "Sabiki".
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 7:10pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by Waihime Waihime wrote:

Can anyone tell me where the so called fire break is on Matakana? I've tried numerous times to find it but can't see anything that I comsider a fire break.

John, I think the firebreak is overgrown & not really visible any more.
From memory, it was on the Tauranga side of Karewa, about one third the way along Matakana.
Marligator would likely be able to give a more accurate placement.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 7:08am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have a good look on Google Earth
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 11:20am
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I thought the firebreak was the line that waste water pipe ran down??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 9:36pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks everyone. A bit more research is required by the looks of it. Looked on google earth, but can't work out whats a fire break amd whats a road!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 10:27pm
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

If you have a chart plotter look for the pipe and come back towards the entrance.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwikoro. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 12:51pm
Kiwikoro. View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The old Fire break was a block that was cleared directly behind the Mill up Hunters Creek,cleared from the Mill right through to the beach and the other mark to use was the first track to access the beach through the trees used by the Mill workers to go fishing and net for Sole.The track is still easily visable from the water and is about 6km from the Entrance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 1:23pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Cheers Darren, that sorts it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwikoro. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 3:17pm
Kiwikoro. View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

No worries, you also have to remember we were using the ‘Firebreak’ as a landmark reference nearly 30 years ago before we all had a GPS on board.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 8:06pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Darren, I've always been looking for just a road or small clearing. My neighbour tells me the snapper still know where it is!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 6:18am
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Has anyone been out lately? Been so busy with work, haven’t been but interested in how others may be doing?
Page  <1 323324325326327 413>