tauranga fishing

Page  <1 321322323324325 414>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 10:19am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Got out yesterday with my grandson.  Tried off Omanu in 70 feet.  Nothing.  Headed out to a pin on Brewers.  On the way saw some sign in 140 feet and drifted and picked up four nice pannies.  At Brewers picked up a real good feed of golden snapper and big pink maumau.  In my humble opinion both better eating than normal snaps. Talked to some guys at the ramp who had anchored and burlyed "somewhere" off Papamoa in 50 feet.  Three limits of snapper. Close in for July.
Great day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 12:33pm
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

All done by 9:30 😉 fishing is still very good at the moment!! Only did one drift, just snappers today. Still just over the sand in around 20mtrs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sole M8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 1:00pm
Sole M8 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by 14footFC 14footFC wrote:

All done by 9:30 😉 fishing is still very good at the moment!! Only did one drift, just snappers today. Still just over the sand in around 20mtrs

OMG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 7:07pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice to know someone knows what they are doing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 10:55am
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

shot out on saturday, to our usual 'east of A bouy' area,  anchored up, pumped some burley, deployed a surface livie and a bottom livie,  Both got no interest for the hour and half they were out, managed a couple of throw back snapper, it was very hard going....   Moved approx 130m north to be slightly deeper in a hope that something might be doing there.   Pumped more burley, deployed the livebaits etc.  a Kahawai turned up in the burley trail, so rigged up a pilly which it promptly inhaled in typical kahawai styles, finally had something in the bin.  

the occasional small snapper followed then a couple of keepers in the high 30's, but it was very slow.  The livie on the bottom had obviously attracted somethings attention and promptly got eaten.  After a short scrap a king around mid 80's came up.  Over the next little while the deployment of a livebait ment a kingfish hook up was immenent.  In the end I pulled in my kahawai livebait which had spent probably 4 hours swimming around near the surface attraction no interest at all, and sent it down to just about the bottom, where a instant hooked up followed.  After a lengthy scrap which included going around the anchor rope, we manage to boat a new PB. at 116cm & 19kg 

ended up hooking 9, landing 7, and getting dusted by 2.  A fun time indeed.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 11:11am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done on your kingy Shane, sounds like you had a good little session on the kingy's. Did the two that dusted you bust you on bottom or around anchor.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 3:21pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I was on heavier gear than the ones I managed to land (they were all on a poseidon 450 on a 15kg offshore jig rod, sunset drag at 12kg), and on both occasions the hook knot ended up breaking where the line went around the eye (possibly a sharpish edge in it or something)  was 60lb fluro, and was running sunset drag at 19-20kg.  I fought one of them for 5-10 mins before it busted, it was obviously a good fish as it was ripping line off at that drag pressure with a fair bit of ease.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EarlyRiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 7:36am
EarlyRiser View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Wow! Fantastic days efforts!

Just wondering about your set up, running mono or braid main line?
60lb leader on both set ups?
"FELIX" Kingfisher Cat 5.1cc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 7:08pm
Titanium
Titanium

Shane one of the problems with Flurocarbon is that it has poor knot strength and I suspect this is the reason your knot failed rather than a sharp edge on the hook eye, or if you had snelled the hook on then it could be a combination of them both. This is one of the reasons I use significantly heavier flurocarbon than the main line and likely drags I may put on. Bad luck on those fish always the big ones that find weaknesses in your set up. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sole M8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 5:28am
Sole M8 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

That's awesome Shane. Great fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 5:06pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've been using the same fluro for 12 months+ and have never had any issues with it before.  I usually replace the leader and trace every 2-3 trips depending on how many fish get caught etc. I run Uni knots to hooks.

1 set up is a 15KG offshore jig rod, poseidon 450R with 65lb braid, 2.5m of 60lb black magic supple, game swivel with a 5oz sinker above it then short trace of around 80cm to the hook. it gives 12kg drag at sunset.

the other set up is a 270-350gm Fin-nor Jig rod with a Tyrnos 16 with drag upgrade (19-20kg at sunset)  it has 80lb braid, and then I run 2-3M of 80lb BM supple, game swivel (which the balloon is attached to with a rubberband) then 3m of 60lb Fluro to the hook. - this much drag in the shallows is doing battle with them, and your body can take a bit of a beating, gimbal is a must.  and I've nearly gone over the side twice haha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cliff M-F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 10:53pm
Cliff M-F View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Last Saturday I launched from Bell Rd, Kaituna River, and went down off Pukehina in 20m, anchored up and burleyed (something I don't normally do on my jet ski outside of the harbour). Caught most of my fish on Piper I had caught from the Omokoroa jetty previously.
Pic is upside down, but you get the general idea. I also released another Kingie and gave another couple of pannie Snaps to some retired friends down the road.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cliff M-F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 11:11pm
Cliff M-F View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Then since the weather was so good on Tuesday (and my wife hadn't returned from her trip away yet) I took the day off work and headed out to the Mayor Knolls in search of some big ass Tarakihi for the fishing comp at the Tauranga Fishing Club. Delays delays and no big ass Teras, but I managed a feed.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waza1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 8:19am
Waza1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello. I live near Onokoroa and looking for a good place to do some work on my out board motor. I use to got to a guy who worked from home over in Hamilton and he was real good with fair prices. Any suggestions?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 11:14am
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Katikati Marine 96 Lockington Road is about halfway tween Omokoroa turnoff and Katikati. Good straight up guy in my experience.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waza1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 5:32pm
Waza1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Ok sounds good thanks for your help!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 7:50pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Friend of mine caught 9 gurnard off the longline last night and nothing tonight
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 8:58pm
Titanium
Titanium

Had a shocker down Papamoa today, tried one of my Terakihi spots first. Plenty of sign on it, had a suspicion it was going to be mainly snapper, however first drop was a terakihi that fell of at the boat, no probs they are here so I will get more, but alas no that was it, just multitudes of little snapper. Moved in shallower to a snapper spot I have which always has sign on it and usually a never fail spot for a few snapper, but not today, no sign nothing. Shifted out to another spot which can hold terakihi and snapper, plenty of sign but looked like just small snapper and sure enough just little snapper again, but decided to stick it out as it is quite a big area of papa foul so got a good burley trail going hoping to attract some better snapper, but no all I got other than little snapper was a solitary small trevally which came home for a sashimi entrée. Essentially skunked, doesn't happen often but does occasionally.   

Weather was pretty ordinary, 15-20 knots southeast doesn't help the fishing nor does the constant light rain, but still was good to be out, hadn't been for a fish for a few weeks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 9:20pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

Had a shocker down Papamoa today, tried one of my Terakihi spots first. Plenty of sign on it, had a suspicion it was going to be mainly snapper, however first drop was a terakihi that fell of at the boat, no probs they are here so I will get more, but alas no that was it, just multitudes of little snapper. Moved in shallower to a snapper spot I have which always has sign on it and usually a never fail spot for a few snapper, but not today, no sign nothing. Shifted out to another spot which can hold terakihi and snapper, plenty of sign but looked like just small snapper and sure enough just little snapper again, but decided to stick it out as it is quite a big area of papa foul so got a good burley trail going hoping to attract some better snapper, but no all I got other than little snapper was a solitary small trevally which came home for a sashimi entrée. Essentially skunked, doesn't happen often but does occasionally.   

Weather was pretty ordinary, 15-20 knots southeast doesn't help the fishing nor does the constant light rain, but still was good to be out, hadn't been for a fish for a few weeks.

Ah so you are human like the rest of us! Lol, we had a work trip out a couple weekends back on one of the chuggers and just got plagued by small snapps while trying to get onto some teras. Maybe things are looking better for the fishery in 3-4 years time!! 
Proud supporter of Ronald McDonald House & the team at Legasea

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 10:24pm
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went out on Sunday (mid-morning) along with half of Tauranga judging by the number of trailers. We went about 3 mile out and struggled to get 4 snapper, a gurnard and a kahawai. Actually we didn’t catch the kahawai, my boy noticed something floating in the distance and we went to investigate as nothing was happening for us. We found 1 kahawai, pre-gilled too. If it fell off the back of your boat big thumbs up from us as it became our bait and caught our snapper and gurnard. I spoke to somebody at work and they did exceedingly well just a little further out ... should’ve been there yesterday type story.
Page  <1 321322323324325 414>