tauranga fishing

Page  <1 320321322323324 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 8:09pm
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Shot out this morning, stunning day and the fishing was really good! Binned up by 8:30 but stayed as too nice to come back in!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 4:41pm
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Any one else getting out??? Fishing is very good!! Real mixed bag today, bloody freezing first thing but very nice conditions too. Softbaits doing best for me still but got a couple of jigs today too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Sole M8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 5:54pm
Sole M8 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Was thinking of having a look in the morning.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 6:37pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Shot out to Mayor this morning. Got absolutely plagued by little perch, then the daughter started feeling sick, so went in closer to the island and tried for Tarakihi, got a few but too small to keep, so headed all the way back in to 30mtrs and managed to get a reasonable haul of panny snapper. Wind got up a bit in the afternoon, but then it dropped off again for the last hour or so. Back at the ramp at 5.30. Not the greatest day I've ever had, but was still a pretty nice day out with a feed to boot!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 8:49pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

shot out this morning, started off with a play in the kahawai schools along off omanu with micro jigs and flutter jigs, nabbed 3 or 4 kahawai before I hooked up and instantly thought.... this isn't a kahawai.......  the tell tale continual small nods of a kingfish confirmed the thoughts. a good scrap and 15 mins or so later a nice fat 88-90cm king found its way into the net.  A few more kahawai later we decided that was enough of them and continued on our merry way along the coast a bit further.  Had a nosey around where we did ok last weekend, was a bit of sign, a few boats there but noting do so shot out a bit deeper to be in the vacinty of our usual 'east of A bouy' area.  Tried a bit deeper than normal, managed 3 blue cod and a pigfish before giving up on the undersized snapper and heading in a little shallower,   got the burley pumping and had some late morning tea/early lunch and a hot drink before lobbing some baits out,   First bait got scoffed and a nice pannie snapper went in the bin.  Continued to get some nice pannies upto 50cm and ended up keeping 11 before calling it quits when the wind started to pick up around 2:30ish.  The bin was nearly full and there was certainly enough fish in it for a number of good feeds for family and friends.  all in all a good day on the water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Won tong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 7:18pm
Won tong View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

good day on the tarakihi today behind motiti, fish coming up in doubles and triples frequently
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Eternal Optimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 7:32pm
The Eternal Optimist View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting, so hope I've done it right... Anyone have any luck out from Tauranga today? What a cracker day, was great to be on the water, but we tried a bunch of spots (Motiti, Middle Ground, 2 mile, 5 mile, Papamoa and a few in between) with only undersize snapper & the odd couter to report, as well as a few other non target species. :-( Hope others had better luck!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 9:01pm
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great weather all right, sea was flat and we barely moved whilst drifting east of three mile.  Came into a spot by the gut-way between Rabbit and the raised reef--7.2m of water--and I could still see the bottom.  I need to get the dive gear back out.  There was a boat with a couple, maybe three, free divers working the area between Rabbit and the outer reef behind it, as well as a big boat with a diver on the outside of the reef, no idea how they got on though.  I did the school run and hit the water around 9:00 and was back at the ramp with 6 snapper and 1 kahawai right on 1:00 (to get the boat and gear cleaned, fish filleted etc to do the pick-up run too).  Maybe by tomorrow there will be nothing left, but I would definitely say go if your thinking about it.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cliff M-F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 9:48pm
Cliff M-F View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Let me know when you're getting that dive gear back out Frank! It's been too long!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 10:02pm
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

It depends on my wife's work to be honest, but I'm hoping an opportunity will come up late next week.  Heart breaking to see how clear it was today and know that it will probably be murky again before I get there.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shea d Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 10:13pm
Shea d Hunter View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Went out Friday arvo to Papamoa, no sign, no bites, then middle ground tarakihi spot, no sign, no bites. Back to some sign in 20 metres off girvin Ave on dusk, no bites.
I talked with 4 or 5 boats at the ramp who were fishing earlier up matakana, who also struggled. First time in 5 years I’ve come back empty handed. However, it was great to be out there and great to see the kahawai schools everywhere. Out to the back of Motiti next trip
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 11:04am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks Hunter, you've made me feel a bit better.  I was out on Friday NW of Karewa.  In 30 metres where I've done pretty well recently. A good gurnard and a well legal blue cod for about six hours of fishing.
Maybe next time?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 12:11pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Got my grandson up for the holidays and looking at getting out on Friday.  Since I got my arse kicked last week in close, thing of heading to Mayor or Penguins.  Anyone been out there lately?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 1:33pm
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey coutta, I’ve been doing pretty week in close and might get out tomorrow, will let you know how I get on. Pic was a few days ago now but was around 20 mtrs off pap beach
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 4:17pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks Dan, very much appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 6:39pm
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I got on the water just before 10am, I was hoping that the wind was going to stay lighter but picked up a lot, I think it dropped off again later but i had enough by 1:30. I went about half way down pap beach in around 22 mtrs. There are still loads of bait fish in the area but the chop made it hard to spot any surface activity but did find some. Picked up some good fat snappers a nice gurnard and a couple of kahawhai but got smashed by loads of barracoutas!! Mainly all on softies again but the wind made it tricky, had to go heavy on the jighead to stay in contact. Yellow and browns and light greens were working for me today, 5 to 7 inch got the most hits but conditions were not the best for smaller so could of been why??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 11:24am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Took my 10 yr old grandson for a fish yesterday morning, tried Knoll first good current heading back towards the Mount which is how I like it, good burley trail going, sat there for 1.5 hrs for no bites other than a bronzie stretching Charlies arms for a while before it bit him off, pulled about 180m of line on its first run. Next sounded around 4 or 5 terakihi spots off Papamoa no sign on any of them, virtually no sign on the sounder anywhere, finally came up to a spot off Harrisons cut which always holds fish (usually small snapper) and burleyed back on to this spot, well tried as there was virtually no current (typical of Papamoa Beach) and he got 2 snaps and a Kahawai, so he was happy.

A mate of mine was out as well and he tried a number of spots from the Just before Motiti and Papamoa and the only spot he got any fish was a couple of km back towards the Mount from where we got our couple of fish, again a spot which always holds a lot of small snapper.

So all in all hard fishing yesterday. Of note was the number of little shearwaters in the burley, they were starving had a number grab the bait as winding in and not let go even when you lifted them out of the water and grab them. I have noticed over the last few years they seem to be getting hungrier and hungrier. I just think there is a lack of food for them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 6:07pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wish I could get out.... that would be nice
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cliff M-F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 6:48pm
Cliff M-F View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went out last Saturday, staying in the Harbour due to weather conditions, and went after some Trevs. I had heard they were up around Sanford's. Caught one, a P.B. for me - 64cm and just under 3.8kg (plus a couple of Kahawai)! I was pretty happy with that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Won tong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 8:43pm
Won tong View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

anyone know if there are many terikihi at penguins at the moment? would rather go there than behind motiti
Page  <1 320321322323324 413>