tauranga fishing

Page  <1 273274275276277 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote maxtarakihi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 7:07am
maxtarakihi View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sure is.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote RAMCO600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 8:29am
RAMCO600 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

SOME GOOD ONES TOO
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 8:50am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In previous years I've found some good size snapper come in during September - October and then things tend to quieten down for November- December. I found snapper diggings over the weekend. Get into em!
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Just Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 9:09pm
Just Chips View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sounds like it should be good for the dinghy in a week or 2. Still have to go in the dark for snaps this time of year in the harbour?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mad37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 8:16am
mad37 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Can some please explain what to look for when looking for snapper diggings or a photo ( but not of the suroundings don't wanna take anyones fav spots )I've tryed finding info online but to no help bit of a newbie to all this cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 8:25am
Comfortably Numb View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi 
Small pits dug into the mud flats usually 
Similar in size to smaller pudding bowls 
Big holes are stingray holes
See if I can get a pic for you over weekend 
Time to get the lines wet this weekend 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 8:37am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Smaller round holes are snapper, more elongated holes are trevally and big holes are stingray.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mad37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 9:58am
mad37 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sweet cheers guys, seen plenty of what I had assumed, but hadn't known for sure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 10:26am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

Smaller round holes are snapper, more elongated holes are trevally and big holes are stingray.
x2 I generally fish the harbour after dark. Not sure if its 100% necessary but that's what gets my best results. Possibly because I fish really shallow water.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Just Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 8:08pm
Just Chips View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yea it's just that its not summer and boat traffic shouldn't be to bad so I'm not sure if we need to go in the dark. We have had our limit in an hour at 5pm on a cloudy day before but that was just luck. Don't like going in the dark lol. Just thought this time of year might be different
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 9:36pm
Titanium
Titanium

Went for a look up the top of the harbor this morning, water was a bit dirty from the rain over the last few days but still gave it a go. No luck other than quite a few small kahawai to about 2 pound which went back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 6:02pm
Comfortably Numb View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Had a look on Saturday - too much rain to really see any sign to be honest 
Saw nothing but I wasnt looking for long - was like a drowned rat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lerlamadrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 10:09pm
lerlamadrid View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys, I am new to boating and only been out atleast 4-5 times with my small 4.7m fiberglass boat in Wanganui.

My wife and I are considering in going to Tauranga instead of Coromandel for the Labour Weekend, I've looked at some boat ramps and found that Bowentown and Maketu ramps have bar crossings.

I also checked Sulphur point boat ramp at Marina Park which I think is one of the popular ramps, does this involve crossing the bar? I'm not comfortable at crossing bars which I'm not familiar with so don't want to risk anything. Any other boat ramp suggestions are welcome! Thanks!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mad37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 7:11am
mad37 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi there, no bar to cross going out of the mount being a main shipping entrance . You can drop in at either of the sulphur pount ramps there is also one at the base of the mount , one on the mount side of the harbour bridge and one up omokaroa all concrete ramps except the one at the base,hope ya have a good safe trip up here mate tight lines and happy fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 12:26pm
Titanium
Titanium

Lerlamadrid the ramp at the base of the Mount is concrete except for the last bit at a very low spring tide but even then it is hard sand so no problems. The only problem with this ramp is that there are not many parking spaces so if it is a really nice morning in a weekend you need to be there soon after daylight to get a parking spot or else you will have a long walk from further back along the street where you may find a parking spot and if you leave it until after say 8am you will not get a spot at all as all the parking will be taken up by people walking around the Mount or doing other things at the  Mount.

I use this ramp a lot, nice and quick to get out of the harbor, can be a bit difficult retrieving the boat if there is a strong southwester or southerly blowing as it is a bit exposed to that wind direction, especially if you are by yourself.

Also if there is a decent swell running and you are wanting to fish up along Matakana Island or go out to Karewa Island be careful as there is a bar to the left of the main shipping channel where waves peak and break at times (it is a good kilometer or so out from the entrance where the bar is), so if there is a decent swell running head out the main shipping channel past A Beacon (big Pole about 1 km out from the entrance) and then head back around to Matakana or Karewa Islands.

If heading east towards Papamoa, Motiti etc nothing to worry about even if there is a bit of a swell running.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lerlamadrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 4:54pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the reply mad37 and marligator,  I have not been to Tauranga but have looked at google maps. I might just use Sulphur Point boatramp if there's more parking space around that area? So is it basically straight ahead from Sulphur Point boat ramp towards The Mount out to the sea?

I'll take your advice and head east towards Papamoa just to avoid the bar crossing, does the water run deep around this area? here in Wanganui, I usually fish ~5-6 miles off the shore which is 30m deep. Thanks!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 6:54pm
Titanium
Titanium

Lerlamdrid if there is less than 1 m of swell then heading west along Matakana is no problem at all. There is a big sand bank between the end of the Marina at Sulphur Point and the Mount Entrance, so if coming out of Sulphur Point on a half tide or higher then you can go straight across to the Mount and out to sea, but if less than half tide you will need to follow the channel either left or right and go around the bank. Have a look at the Navionics website and zoom in on the Tauranga Harbor and you will see what I am talking about. http://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@11&key=hfydF_dbr%60%40
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lerlamadrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 7:57pm
Bronze
Bronze

I appreciate your input as I've learned so much from you. I Looked at the link and I can see how to navigate around the bank towards the sea, it's basically just following the white area. I hope the weather is fine on Labour Weekend, can't wait to fish at BOP.. :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lerlamadrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 10:33pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Marligator, I was planning to fish around this spot, any comments on this?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 10:42pm
Titanium
Titanium

Quite a few people fish around the spoil ground, although I have never fished it myself. Another couple of spots to try near their is the 3 and 5 miles which are patches of foul ground further on out from A beacon, if it is a nice calm day you will see boats anchored another mile or so past A beacon, that is the 3 mile and another mile or 2 further out is the 5 mile, both spots are good for snapper and Tarakihi.
Page  <1 273274275276277 413>