tauranga fishing

Page  <1 270271272273274 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Baked Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 7:00pm
Baked Fish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

In the Surtees, yes that was me.  You must almost live down there Uncle! you're down that way every time I turn left Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 7:34pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Ha, I wish.
But I do try to fish at least once a monthLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 8:32pm
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

How do you fine the surtees Baked Fish? I was down there on Monday too and saw you going past. I was in the fully open tinny about as far down as Karewa, would of still been a shade of blue after my run down!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 9:11pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Cheers for putting the jinx on me guys. I lost my wedding ring a few hrs ago while pulling out vines. The threat over me if I was to lose it, is to get it tattooed on! Feck.

Any luck evading the tattoo kitno?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 9:25pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Baked Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 4:51pm
Baked Fish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well, I like it. Small enough to launch on your own without drama but big enough to head wide, Mayor/knolls etc. I do like the roof and clears. On a rough or cold day keep it closed and there is no polar blast or spray to dodge or open it up on a hot day for the breeze.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 6:39pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Yes it certainly looked good from where I was sitting on Monday morning, "enjoying" the polar blast in my wee semi-open boatLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 7:57pm
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

was thinking much the same Uncle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Just Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 4:18pm
Just Chips View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

What's been happening in the harbour? Species? Anything?

Might go out Saturday arvo or Sunday morning. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mad37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 8:45pm
mad37 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Was thinking the same there chips , the maps are showing it to be a little bit ugly out side but still need to get on the water preferably grab a quick feed at the same time
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 9:45pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Just Chips Just Chips wrote:

What's been happening in the harbour? Species? Anything?

Might go out Saturday arvo or Sunday morning. Cheers

A neighbor of mine has caught a few snapper over winter but nothing of notable size. Kahawai have kept a small presence and recently some small gurnard. With the right approach you will catch a feed.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 5:54pm
Comfortably Numb View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sheet Uncle!
Must have lost weight for that to slip off!
Spring soon ... yay Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 6:06pm
Silver
Silver

Ahh I just realised 'kitno' posted the wedding ring comment ...
Still look trim however Unc. 
Chur
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 7:08pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Anyone got metal detector? I can offer an all expenses paid trip to the upper reaches of the harbour (over summer of course) if you find the ring. Precious.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote avidcrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 8:22pm
avidcrim View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all,

My names Dave, I have been reading all of your posts on here but first time poster!

Bought a steadicraft 545 at christmas and had a little success out and about, nothing major to brag about, normally go and sit off the mount in 20m, but last few times only bagged a few snaps.

Heading out this weekend with the old man Saturday afternoon, a couple of questions for you all...

1 - Weather - I'm still learning about all the swell wind etc - but this weekend it looks as good as ever? Swell is at 1.8 m on met service and marine weather puts is at .9m? it's a 1.8 m swell bad in light winds? How calm can we expect it?

2 - Where to go, I was thinking a left turn and up to Kaweru or right to our comfortable spot out from the mount? Who's having any success? Should I just fill the tank up and go hunting the work ups?

The fishing shows are all saying shallow water in some reef action? Suggesting 10 m water is where the snaps are hanging out?

Apologies for the big post but looking forward to getting to know my way around these forums!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 9:25pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm new to the BOP and are gradually learning about the area thanks to this site and meeting locals.
I'm in Papamoa, feel free to make contact and share information etc....cheers
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 10:07pm
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Dave, I'm new here too and still learning also. Looking at the sites I find trustworthy at this stage, Saturday still a while away. wind should drop off around 2pm, still a swell coming in from a east so I would think incoming tide would be more pleasant.

http://www.swellmap.co.nz/forecast-maps I use this one for the swell but also find the wind map really good and has a sea temp page that is useful.
http://metvuw.com/forecast/forecast.php?type=rain®ion=nz&noofdays=7 This is good too
http://www.port-tauranga.co.nz/Harbour-Conditions/ This is very good as its updated every couple of minutes.
http://www.nzcharts.co.nz/Chart/541 may need to use firefox and install software but its a good chart.

If I get out before Saturday will post anything useful.

Good luck

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 10:26am
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by avidcrim avidcrim wrote:

Hi all,

My names Dave, I have been reading all of your posts on here but first time poster!

Bought a steadicraft 545 at christmas and had a little success out and about, nothing major to brag about, normally go and sit off the mount in 20m, but last few times only bagged a few snaps.

Heading out this weekend with the old man Saturday afternoon, a couple of questions for you all...

1 - Weather - I'm still learning about all the swell wind etc - but this weekend it looks as good as ever? Swell is at 1.8 m on met service and marine weather puts is at .9m? it's a 1.8 m swell bad in light winds? How calm can we expect it?

2 - Where to go, I was thinking a left turn and up to Kaweru or right to our comfortable spot out from the mount? Who's having any success? Should I just fill the tank up and go hunting the work ups?

The fishing shows are all saying shallow water in some reef action? Suggesting 10 m water is where the snaps are hanging out?

Apologies for the big post but looking forward to getting to know my way around these forums!

hey mate in regards to the weather unless you have to do bar crossings or beach launch or get very sea sick i never worry about the swell i look at what the wind and chop is doing. anything under 10 knots will make for a very good day out. ( just keep an eye on the sites leading up to your planned day out as the forecast can change quickly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 6:18pm
Silver
Silver

Hi Dave
I don't fish outside the harbour (12ft tinnie) so can only offer limited comment:
Inside harbour:
Light wind good
I find best bite at incoming tide
If the moon is seen over the Kaimais not good
Edge of channels good
Light or no lead good
Look for snap sign at low tide - fish there! Even if 4 foot deep at high.
Winter - channels and points for ky
My best fish following above and inside harbour is 60cm smap, 95cm kingie.
All the best
CN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 7:48pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I went for a late morning fish today, could only spare a couple of hours but thought I'd nab a couple to feed this weekends visitors.
Well, I got skunked~~totally.
Not even one biteShocked

Is anyone handing out free refresher courses?
PleaseLOL
Page  <1 270271272273274 413>