Rod advice please.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rod advice please.
    Posted: 25 Dec 2010 at 6:51pm
Busternut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Santa was kind to me this year, he went to a tackle shop in westhaven and purchased me a nice shiny new curado 300.

the elf at the tackle shop, strongly recomended it be matched with a starlo spinning stick. 3-5 kg

Santa was pretty bloody excited about the new kit and didnt really pay as much attention as he should of.

is that a suitable rod for that reel?

should i, oops santa go back to see the elf and exchange it for a proper overhead type of rod, or is the elf right, and thats the best bang for that buck i am going to get?

cheers in advance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2010 at 7:00pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I would go and see the elf's Santa and have serious words about exchanging for (a) an overhead-type rod (easily distinguished for this sort and weight, as the have a trigger grip); and (b) a heavier rod (ie 6-8kg or more).
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2010 at 7:16pm
Busternut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by PJay PJay wrote:

I would go and see the elf's Santa and have serious words about exchanging for (a) an overhead-type rod (easily distinguished for this sort and weight, as the have a trigger grip); and (b) a heavier rod (ie 6-8kg or more).
thanks. thats what santa is thinking.

any particular brand or rod?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZ Critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2010 at 7:26pm
NZ Critter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

offshore 6-8kg is the businessThumbs Up
"AOTEALURES" Hand Crafted In NZ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2010 at 7:36pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

t curve 5 to 8kg overhead or a 5 to 10kg overhead
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2010 at 7:44pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Presumably budget plays a part (+ or -) - or the rod you got would not have been the one you got.

So like Wayne, I would have thought a T-Curve would've been about right for your Curado 300.

PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2010 at 8:02pm
Busternut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

budget wasnt an issue. i told the elf i was happy to spend asm uch as needed to get a good combo

i will go get a t curve.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 10:40am
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

cant go wrong with the t-curve..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote River Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 10:43am
River View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Strange advice at the 'westhaven' shop, nice reel and should be matched with a decent rod; not sure where you got it from but they should have cracked a deal for the combo...
T-Curves are great, Offshores are great also.
Have a look round you probably want something that is quite light in weight to match the compact reel. 5-8kg or 5-10kg at the top end?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Elpescador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 11:33am
Elpescador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The so called elf was obviously pissed on egg nog if he sold a curado with a "spin" rod, go back tell him to stop smokin the good stuff and exchange the rod for the overhead version!Clown
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 2:53pm
Busternut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

went back this morning and got a sharp price on a 5-8 kg t curve. i took it out to the motuhe and cracked its cherry.
its fair to say, i am frikkin stoked.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 3:03pm
Busternut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

i should add, i am looking for a fishing "buddy".
strangely enough, people are dead keen to go fishing, untill its 5.00 am boxing day and its time to go, or 5 am sunday etc.

i am an easy enough fulla to get along with, and am quite full on when it comes to fishing.

my boat is moored at pier 21, any one keen feel free to pm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 10:51pm
pure--lure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi ZMT4509 I'm keen bro but i'm in helensville lol
http://www.facebook.com/groups/hibiscus.coast.fishing/