Tips for targetting monster canal trout twizel

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips for targetting monster canal trout twizel
    Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 8:54am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just wondering if anyone could give me any pointers as to how to better target those monster fish in the canals round twizel.... had some fun a few years back with huge fish interested in my flies and lures, but no takers... any pointers would be appreciated as Im headed down that way in a few weeks. Cheers, Davo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chris Dore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 8:58am
Chris Dore View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

fish deep - the canals are often faster than they look. A high density line and streamer works a treat, or you can look for them along the edges in the evenings.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 9:15am
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sure, Went up that way last week. The tip is go to the canal near tekapo not twizel. The twizel ones haven't had a "release" from the farms for a while but the ones closer to tekapo have.

In terms of bait if you can find huhu grumbs, otherwise use frozen shrimps.

2 rigs I have used. First was a running rig with a small float on the running section to keep the hook above the weed and sinker above the swivel. The other is a float set up with 2 metre trace.

The flow is fast so be prepared to loose a few rigs.
regards JB
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 1:25pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks guys - that was very helpful. I will be sure to let you know how I get on. kind regards, D
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 9:08am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

gents - did a bit of research yesterday on line and it appears there is some confusion if you can use soft plastics or not in the canals...appreciate any advice on this...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 10:22am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Davo Davo wrote:

gents - did a bit of research yesterday on line and it appears there is some confusion if you can use soft plastics or not in the canals...appreciate any advice on this...

No expert on the canals but would fully expect s/b's are OK even scented ones
if spinning & bait fishing is allowed.

Personally I would not be concerned either way as got the impression most
of the regulars consider they don't even need a licence to fish there.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 10:56am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

No expert on the canals but would fully expect s/b's are OK even scented ones
if spinning & bait fishing is allowed.

Personally I would not be concerned either way as got the impression most
of the regulars consider they don't even need a licence to fish there.

Or abide by the catch total they are allowed.
Was appalled watching some blokes catching small fish and 'upgrading' their fish by throwing the smaller, dead ones back.

I did say something to one bloke only to be abused. Unfortunately my wife was with me, so bit my tongue ......... hardest thing I've done for a long time.

Ignorant *******!!
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 10:25am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks guys - could any of you post a pic of the rigs that you use so I can get a better sense of how to set up for the conditions? I've never used floats before..

Thanks guys, Dave
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote indigo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 2:22pm
indigo1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

+1 for shrimp
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 2:53pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

thanks guys - could any of you post a pic of the rigs that you use so I can get a better sense of how to set up for the conditions? I've never used floats before..

Thanks guys, Dave

No probs ... will go draw up a description of one of the locals' favs ...
ie a hand grenade in a burley bag.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 6:01pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

any further tips for this would be appreciated...including photos or images of how to rig up correctly...I've never fished with bubble floats before! Would I use a basic ledger rig as per in the sea? Or be using the bubble float as an indicator?
Just been having an absolute blast catching sea run brownies in Southland on storm rubber lures...for a flyfisherman it took a bit of getting used to but this spinning game is loads of fun. Cheers, Dave
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mudgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 8:40am
mudgie View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I've never fished the canals, but I learnt to fish using a float and worms, then progressed to a float and flies and now mostly fly fish. I generally use the clip on yellow and orange floats available in most shops. They are cheap and it’s easy to vary the depth depending on where the fish are. One secret I learnt was to put a small splitshot between the float and fly/bait which seems to reduce tangles when casting.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 10:03pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks mudgie - I'm doing the exact opposite...learnt to fish dry fly fishing and now learning how to lure and bait fish. Will post some pics if I score some nice fish! Happy new year to y'all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 7:38am
TS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What is the definition of legal baits for Tekapo?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 9:14am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I picked up a copy of the South Island Sport Fishing Regs 2010-2011 from a sports shop in Invercargill and under the central south island section for the Tekapo - Pukaki hydro canal it says that all legal methods are allowed. Para 2.2 of the same section says all legal methods may be used, and my take is that all legal methods includes the use of bait, which from my bush lawyering appears to be defined in the first schedule as:

natural fly
natural insect
natural spider
natural worm or worms
natural crustacean
natural fish (excluding fish ova, or any portion of a fish, or shellfish(mollusc)
uncoloured bread dough
any scented lure constructed of, or treated with, elements that have chemical attractant properties

My reading of this is that the "scented lure" part, would cover soft plastics which are nearly always treated with chemical attractants (if you believe the packets) - but interesting the definition of lure is "any authorised artificial fly or spinner or bait" (subject to any regional restrictions specified in the second schedule).

There are no regional restrictions that are specified in the 2nd schedule about the definition of a lure for the Central South Island Region (well that I could find anyways)...if I'm wrong could someone point them out?

Last time I went into a fishing shop Im fairly sure that none of the flies/spinners/soft plastics had labels on them saying they were authorised...which begs the question of what is meant by the definition of a lure! Perhaps it means just about everything is authorised if there are no regional restrictions as long as they can be conceivably covered by broad definitions included in the first schedule?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote big blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 9:20am
big blue View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hi davo,
                i fished the canals last year with softbaits and had not much luck, then one of the locals came over and gave me some prawn tails and i had a ball caught three and lost two others, i had a float on top and as soon as the float dipped strike, but beware there are some blimmin horses in there and its blimmin tough running down the canal wall after them.. good luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 12:29pm
TS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So what would stop you using a salmon pellet? I'm guessing it would be hard to call it a lure whereas the softbaits look like one?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 12:30pm
TS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Is shrimp a crustacean?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 4:53pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks Big Blue - very helpful advice. I will give that idea a go :-)

TS re your questions...Shrimps are crustaceans - last time I checked. Not sure what a natural crustacean is tho vis-a-vis an unnatural one! Wouldnt a salmon pellet be construed as bait? And if so, I imagine you could probably use them.

Just back from a fantastic session on the sea run brownies again. We got 6 between the two of us so are feeling pretty stoked, and are now in fillet mode ready for the festivities tonight. They look just like salmon on the inside!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 9:06am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks all for your helpful info on this thread. I fished the canals yesterday and this am and it really paid off. Loads of fishermen down there but not many connecting with fish. I caught fish on soft plastic bronze/copper minnows and on shrimps. Nothing over 7kg plus mark but plenty of good ones to be had - especially on the far bank and away from the farm. Thanks again!
Page  123>