Tips for targetting monster canal trout twizel

Page  <123
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 6:39pm
mole View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

have a look at the tekapo river. down low . 
sometimes you are the statue ,sometimes you are the pigeon

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 11:43pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Drove past the canals last week!... seriously!!! Like a frikken circus... actually, even worse! Campervans lined up as far as the eye could see jostling for position, deck chairs, surfcasters with 24kg braid, radio's blaring... was more like a Grey-Power convention?!!... ... Guess that'll be me in 20 years!
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 11:15am
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We're heading there again in a couple of days. One softbait set, and light trout rods with 10lb braid. Lots of fun and a good way to get a feed and get the kids into fishing. 

I don't know if it's at the same skill level of catching large headwater browns on hand tied flies, but I love me some Twizel fishing.

What's the best lure/bait this time of year?

We have some deep diving Rapala lures, softbait and can set up the kids trout rods with shrimp easily. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 12:18pm
C A View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by flyfisher flyfisher wrote:

Drove past the canals last week!... seriously!!! Like a frikken circus... actually, even worse! Campervans lined up as far as the eye could see jostling for position, deck chairs, surfcasters with 24kg braid, radio's blaring... was more like a Grey-Power convention?!!... ... Guess that'll be me in 20 years!

bugger that, i go fishing to get away from people LOL was this by the salmon farm on ohau b?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 2:18pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Have to confess I am one of them Andrew.

First time I went there just to have a look & was just as scornful as yourself deciding would have a bite to eat then move on
somewhere else in the motorhome vowing I would never allow myself to fish under those condition as might as well go surfcasting off the beach..

Not long after that I saw the guy parked one ahead of us hook into a good size salmon which he duly landed so went to have a chat to him & he said that was the fifth salmon he had caught that day ( was only keeping the bigger ones ) along with two brownies that would have easily gone 8 lb or so.

Wandered back to the motorhome tempted to have a go but deciding against it as after all I was a flyfisherman, therefore not going to reduce myself to fish for salmon & trout using a saltwater setup with sinker & all.

About then the guy hooked into an even bigger salmon & that did it ........ could not get my sea fishing rod set up fast enough then scrounged a bit of bait.

Amazing how quickly a self appointed purist can be corrupted when some else is catching fish. Went on to catch two myself & two more on a following visit.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chad51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 9:04pm
Chad51 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Was fishing the Tekapo Pukaki canal mid march just gone and saw the same thing. One guy looked like he'd just stepped out the office as he still had his suit on. Was fishing with a surfcasting rig using prawns for bait. Had two cracking salmon in his bin though. 

I had a softbait and fly rod. Literally couldn't shake the salmon off your hook if you wanted to. Every other cast you were in. Wasn't til dusk when the bigger fish started coming out to play. Great fun on the fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Money Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 2:30pm
The Money Man View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

This one went 20+lbs.....can't get enough of it!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Money Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 2:35pm
The Money Man View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

31lber...best effort to date....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mickey21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 4:36pm
mickey21 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thats A Beast of a fish well done. How has the fishing been down there? i am heading down there this weekend.
Page  <123