Tips for targetting monster canal trout twizel

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 2:20pm
C A View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

fish opposite the salmon farm. might be able to tempt some of the big resident fellas... if you are lucky! Wink 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 2:24pm
C A View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

sorry, the salmon farm in lake ruataniwha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 5:17pm
TheBadger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have any of you guys got photos of these behemoths you could post? Fishing the canals ain't my cup of tea, but I love seeing the photos of the fish caught.
'Badger on the other hand, he's basically a bum'
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MadKeen# Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 8:39pm
MadKeen# View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Davo Davo wrote:

any further tips for this would be appreciated...including photos or images of how to rig up correctly...I've never fished with bubble floats before! Would I use a basic ledger rig as per in the sea? Or be using the bubble float as an indicator?
Just been having an absolute blast catching sea run brownies in Southland on storm rubber lures...for a flyfisherman it took a bit of getting used to but this spinning game is loads of fun. Cheers, Dave
Hi Davo,

those Storm rubber lures are the deadliest thing I have found for both trout and landlocked salmon. I pulled an 8lb brown from the Waimak (not sea run) and a salmon on every cast at the bowl below the salmon farm in the Tekapo canal. Not heavy enough to fish around the farms with though as the current is almost almost to swift to get deep enough. With that said, if you want to hook one of the 20lb+++ fish bait is by far more productive. Use a long trace though to stop the bait waiving around too much.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sebarau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 4:58pm
sebarau View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

What size softbait/soft plastic lures? The shad, minnow or worm types work best?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 10:56am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I used copper coloured minnow ones about 3 inches long (Gulp).

Storm ones did get me heaps of fish...but not in the canals. They were just deadly in the lakes and rivers...

Enjoyed myself so much I didnt even break out the fly rod!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 11:37am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Am a bit confused here about reference to using a float.

The only time I have fished the canal/s & with some success
used a ledger type rig & a sinker heavy enough to hold on the
bottom in the current very similar to snapper fishing. The only
float incorporated was a small bit of poly foam on the leader to
hold the bait slightly off the bottom.

Given the strong flow of water could not imagine using solely a
surface float as reckon it would have shot past at the rate of knots
then swung to the bank in no time flat, requiring constant casting.
particularly as distance between anglers usually not that great. 
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 11:53am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

I my bush lawyering appears to be defined in the first schedule as:

natural fly
natural insect
natural spider
natural worm or worms
natural crustacean
natural fish (excluding fish ova, or any portion of a fish, or shellfish(mollusc)
uncoloured bread dough
any scented lure constructed of, or treated with, elements that have chemical attractant properties

Perhaps it means just about everything is authorised if there are no regional restrictions as long as they can be conceivably covered by broad definitions included in the first schedule?

IMO much of the regulations read similar to the Treaty Of Waitangi inasmuch
as is largely dependant on the definition you choose to apply.

My understanding of "natural" is/was anything that naturally exists where or in
the water you are fishing yet most use shrimp/prawn or huhu grubs none of
which would exist nearby.Nevertheless who is going to prove a certain fly, spider
or insect does not live in the region.

Uncoloured bread dough ..... does this include brown bread?

I very much doubt a fisheries officer has ever been there checking compliance
& reckon they consider escapees from a fish farm to be such an artificial
environment they are not at all bothered, which imo makes a certain amount
of sense ...

After all to the best of my knowledge non of our licence fees were spent stocking,
estalishing or maintaining the fishery therefore why spend on policing it ?
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 11:03pm
TS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Where are the trout from in these canals? are the canals draining lakes or are there gates at the lakes which stop trout coming from the lakes?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bluebird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 10:52am
bluebird View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

sorry to dredge up this old post but I think its still relevant!

I have been talking to a few people around the canals to get tips on targeting these monster trout, apparently the best month for them is June but they can be caught during summer and up to then with a high condition factor. June is good at the Tekapo end of the canal as they congregate there to spawn. The water is relatively very clear at the moment, which might help also.

Shrimps and softbaits are good if that's your thing. Glowbugs fished deep would work nicely as well, plus most other methods with a dose of luck.

I talked to the local ranger about soft baits and he said that soft baits are legal in the canals, along with any fish oil based bait/lure preparation

The salmon are starting to get very large in the canals as well (heard reports of 7kg+ fish being caught) and the methods I imagine would be similar for the trout. But the biggest I've seen is 3kg

The trout are wild but the food supply is supplemented from the salmon farms obviously. They filter down from Lake Tekapo and no doubt some would be born naturally in the canals (but I have no evidence of this).

Here is a pic of me with a 9kg+ Rainbow Trout caught on 6 Jan on 6lb line. Saw a larger brown trout cruising, boy they are a sight to behold in the water, coming up out of the depths!

releasing it:

I reckon we should get a monster canal fish gallery going... anyone else caught any of these fish?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bluebird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 10:57am
bluebird View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

also I've heard that in lake pukaki at the Tekapo B power station outlet is a good place to target monster trout as they get the fish churned up by the turbines. But I have never caught any there myself... and I find it even less inspiring than the canal... at least at the canal you get an awesome view of Mt Cook!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr.Dundee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 9:49pm
Mr.Dundee View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers bluebird always wondered what the hell the canals were.You explained it well thank you.
So they are trout or salmon feeding of waste from a salmon farm?Is that correct?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 8:46am
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah thats bang on Mr. Dundee ... me and a buddy are planning a trip up there targetting salmon soon, although with the price of gas creeping up we may just head to Roxbrough and target the ones that have holed up at the base of the dam ...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davedude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 10:53pm
Davedude View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I fished up there recently. Started at 5.30 and fished till 9. Caught between 150-200. Lost count!! All around the damn at the end of the salmon farm. They took anything and everything! Most damage was done with shrimp! Had 2 hooks going and after the 10th (or so!) double hook up, i just used the one bait....AND still had a double hook up - while one was on others were going for the bare hook AND sinker!!! All the fish i landed were between 2-3.5lb.
Good strong fish.
On a negative side - people were absolutely raping the fish! Taking everything they caught and going way over their limits.
I even got abused for putting fish back as "they're just going to die!" so the expert told me.

Also hooked up on soft baits and lures. Lost a heap of gear on the grates of the damn however (as thats where the fish appeared to be most prolific.)

Need rangers up there policing the idiots.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Money Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 9:13pm
The Money Man View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone keen to take a trip to canal in the next two weeks?  If so please hit me up via PM.  This is the best fish I have taken....was just shy of 25lbs.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Money Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 5:35pm
The Money Man View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

I my bush lawyering appears to be defined in the first schedule as:

natural fly
natural insect
natural spider
natural worm or worms
natural crustacean
natural fish (excluding fish ova, or any portion of a fish, or shellfish(mollusc)
uncoloured bread dough
any scented lure constructed of, or treated with, elements that have chemical attractant properties

Perhaps it means just about everything is authorised if there are no regional restrictions as long as they can be conceivably covered by broad definitions included in the first schedule?

IMO much of the regulations read similar to the Treaty Of Waitangi inasmuch
as is largely dependant on the definition you choose to apply.

My understanding of "natural" is/was anything that naturally exists where or in
the water you are fishing yet most use shrimp/prawn or huhu grubs none of
which would exist nearby.Nevertheless who is going to prove a certain fly, spider
or insect does not live in the region.

Uncoloured bread dough ..... does this include brown bread?

I very much doubt a fisheries officer has ever been there checking compliance
& reckon they consider escapees from a fish farm to be such an artificial
environment they are not at all bothered, which imo makes a certain amount
of sense ...

After all to the best of my knowledge non of our licence fees were spent stocking,
estalishing or maintaining the fishery therefore why spend on policing it ?

Hey Bazza,

Just to let you know that MAF are down here at the cancals checked licences and complaince quite a bit.  I have been checked several times.

Just thought it may be worth noting

cheers

Anton
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 10:41pm
Dream View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Davedude Davedude wrote:

I fished up there recently. Started at 5.30 and fished till 9. Caught between 150-200. Lost count!! All around the damn at the end of the salmon farm. They took anything and everything! Most damage was done with shrimp! Had 2 hooks going and after the 10th (or so!) double hook up, i just used the one bait....AND still had a double hook up - while one was on others were going for the bare hook AND sinker!!! All the fish i landed were between 2-3.5lb.
Good strong fish.
On a negative side - people were absolutely raping the fish! Taking everything they caught and going way over their limits.
I even got abused for putting fish back as "they're just going to die!" so the expert told me.

Also hooked up on soft baits and lures. Lost a heap of gear on the grates of the damn however (as thats where the fish appeared to be most prolific.)

Need rangers up there policing the idiots.

Old thread but, went up to the canals last week and saw plenty of idiots taking way over their limit and undersized too! Shouldn't there be rangers surveying the area?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 3:30pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I'm off down the South Island in a week so I'm keen to have a fish and the canals sound like a must do. Anyone know how they are fishing? keen to have a river and or lake fish too, so any southern up to date advice appreciated.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hayden N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 7:17pm
Hayden N View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went up to the Tekapo canal today and it is fishing well at the moment, shrimp drifted near the salmon cages seemed to work best with nothing caught on softbait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 8:02pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I'm off down the South Island in a week so I'm keen to have a fish and the canals sound like a must do. Anyone know how they are fishing? keen to have a river and or lake fish too, so any southern up to date advice appreciated.

Fished canals 3 weeks ago,8 salmon in 2 hours all on frozen shrimps hard on the bottom,one was a nice fish,underestimated the weather and nearly froze to death so pulled the pin.very easy fishing and good way to get a feed
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Page  <123>