Braid

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Milan Radonich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Braid
    Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 10:25am
Milan Radonich View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have been told that braid dosent rot and last for years.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 10:42am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I'm still using some of the first stuff to come into the country. At a guess it would be 10 years old!

I'm a big fan of braid & now feel like I'm not fishing if not using it.

I understand it is UV resistant, certainly seems that way.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stormbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 10:43am
Stormbringer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yep ditto, I have had mine on for about 14mths and it seems sweet .. BUT I have notice in certain places slight nicks in the braid like its been rubbing on something  but that could be anything

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 10:47am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah Naki, braid lasts for yonks, no worries. Certainly not UV degradable like nylon. I reckon if you don't get 10 years outa it, there is something wrong somewhere.

cheers pal,

Stu.

It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 10:56am
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Love the stuff,i've had no problems,the odd ones, are of my own doing,not winding the braid back on the reel under suitable tension,results in the odd tangle coming flying of along the line, when casting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 11:00am
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sunlight has a very negligible impact on braid. Neither does it weaken in water like nylon or bothered by most chemicals that are bad for nylon. However, it will start to decompose at a lower temperature than nylon. Say around 150C as opposed to around 200C for nylon. So, if you have a stuck roller tip for example, it can start to damage the braid from the extra heat generated by friction.

For those who can get hold of the Western Australia Angler mag from around April/May 04, there's a very detailed article on this topic.

Another drawback of braid is that it has very poor knot strength (the previous fishing news issue has an article about this). IMHO, I think this is a major reason why it is so difficult to find IGFA braid and most braid are underrated (i.e. breaks at higher test than stated on packaging).

Hope this info is useful.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 12:54pm
Cookie View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If its backed with nylon, do you need to replace this then ??
Very funny scotty now beam down my clothes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 4:09pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Cookie, just replace the nylon backing and if you're too tight - reverse the braid.  Trim off the dodgy bits at the end. 

Best bet is to replace braid at the start of every season! 

give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coast to Coast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 4:13pm
Coast to Coast View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Jeez Chris, anyone would think you sold the stuff.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote groper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 4:30pm
groper View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

disagree with chris there.... braid is certainly fine for at least 5 years unless your out there everyday for a year... but like nylon inspect it regulary and there should be no prob...
I LIKE TURTLES ...........
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jo. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 4:34pm
Jo. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

how much is braid these days?
Capitalisation is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse.." and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse.."People First New Zealand
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 4:59pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Quote: Originally posted by groper on 09 September 2004
disagree with chris there.... braid is certainly fine for at least 5 years unless your out there everyday for a year... but like nylon inspect it regulary and there should be no prob...

From personal experience, the lighter tests I use (e.g. 10lb) will need replacing after a short while of heavy fishing cos I had to trim off the "dodgy" end bit once too often. There's just less margin for error when using such thin diameter.

Not all braid are created alike. I have come across reports of a certain 80lb braid that did not last more than one season without turning "furry" and breaking when it shouldn't have.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2004 at 6:52am
Cookie View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Chris  not so sure her indoors would take that to well mate

Very funny scotty now beam down my clothes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2004 at 4:42pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Why is everyone disagreeing with me and Pioneer? 

Sell braid.....!  who sells braid here...?

Cookie just tell the missus how many fish you'll be slaying, feeding her & the kids and also her parents (out-laws).  You'll promise not to drink, gamble or have sex for a week. 

give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ab_Fab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2004 at 7:23pm
Ab_Fab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

OK guys,

I have not tried Braid but would really like to. My dilema is what reel to put it on. I have a few reels (but probably not anywhere near enough!!). I previously always thought braid was for heavy deep water tackle only, but it sounds like it is good in the right conditions for much more.

Currently I have a TLD 25 with 15 pound, a Penn 225 with 10 pound, an Abu Garcia with 8 pound and a TLD 10 with 6 pound all with Nylon.  Do you guys have mutilple reels of the same type, one with Braid, one with normal? Any suggestions on what I should do is appreciated (I am leaning to getting another Penn 225 for Braid, thoughts?)

Cheers

Ab

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2004 at 8:05pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Ab_Fab...... top shot your 225 with some 30lb braid about 300m should do to find out if you like it or not........

first thing you will find out is you will have to learn not to strike so hard second don�t strike everything that feels like a good bite third your arms are going to hurt because the rod is bucking like its hooked up to someone jerking themselves off.......

Braid is great once you get used to it a very soft tiped rod will obsorb most of the action that comes from the fish fighting on the other end....... this also helps when striking the fish as the tip tends to bend first before it all comes up tight......

the other good qualities about braid is it repeals water this means it doesn�t create much drag in the water unlike nylon which absorbs water thus you end up with a very large belly created by the current which makes for hard detection of fish biting your bait....... less drag means less weight needed to reach the bottom which means harder for the fish to detect something wrong with the bait...... all good once you learn its capabilities�..

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2004 at 8:00am
cod View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

plus you need to learn good knots.
cod
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ab_Fab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2004 at 9:32am
Ab_Fab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Brilliant thanks Lethal and Cod!

Sounds like a good plan. I have my penn matched to a ugly-stick so that should work as far as having a soft tipped rod. My temptation though is maybe I should buy another 225 for the braid (I think Smart Marine still have them at a good price).

Probobaly not necessary to buy a new reel, but this is an excellent excuse!!!

I will let you know how I get on

Ab

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2004 at 10:12am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

here is a knot that will let you tie a trace to braid without using a swivel........

make a loop in your braid using a fig8 knot then use 5 turns not 3 as in this pic otherwise it will slip.......

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ab_Fab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2004 at 10:32am
Ab_Fab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Lethal !!!

A dumb question, why would you not use a swivel? Is it to maintain the "feel" that the braid gives you??

Cheers

Ab

Page  12>