Braid

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2004 at 10:47am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

more so you can cast your bait....... lets you have a good metre or more of trace..... also this is easier to tie and stronger than a swivel if tied right.....

you can use it the other way round to tie your mainline onto the braid for when you top shot,  but will need 7 turns to stop the braid from slipping off the nylon......

i have some of Pioners Braid here which is colour coded in 10mt segments looks and feels excellent will let you know how it go's in the next couple of days.......

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2004 at 4:24pm
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats a real good knot,and almost,(within reason),you can match up up any breaking strain to any other,ie like as an example only,24kg braid mainline,with say some 40 or more kg mono trace...no worries,and still has awesome breaking strain retention...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2004 at 7:37am
Naki View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Next question.

Which braid do you guys use? True "Braided" or "Fusion". I personally use the fusion type as it seems a lot more subtle and has a slight waxey feel to it.

President of the "Pontoon Owners Club".
I started off with nothing and now I still have most of it left!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2004 at 9:30am
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Fusion braids are cheaper to buy, they can also "delaminate", I've seen this on a charter operator's reels - shameful really!  Fusion can also be quite wirey but for somebody changing over from mono, it might be preferred because it has a similar feel.

True braid I believe is best.  Limp and good for casting and finer diameter too.  There is much more choice available for true braid but don't be sucked into buying the thinnest line because it will have the least abrasion resistance and probably knot strenght.

Both lines are very sensitive with little stretch.

give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2004 at 9:40am
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My local shop doesnt stock braid (been and had a look). What size spools do they come in. Looking at 8kg braid for deep water straylining

I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote moonfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2004 at 9:54am
moonfish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Will  braid 'eat" the rod guides? if so, what guides should I look at for useing braid?

Planning to put 50lb on a 30 wide reel. I Have a 20-80Lb rated standup uglystick black tiger rod. It has metal (not ceramic) guides with a roller strpper and tip.

All thoughts (inc Chrisw and pioneer) welcomed

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2004 at 11:45am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Bushie use 10kg or 15kg braid and treat it like 8kg no forgiveness when it comes to braid mate.......

moonfish braid is not as bad as some make out at eating guides....... there was a batch of chrome guides made of brass but most are now stainless steel...... the brass ones have long gone.....

Naki Chriss is right about fusion braid..... you can get round and flat braids also coloured braids..... these last a lot longer....... try and look at it like this braid is made up of thousands of short strands and just laying them side by side then put a coating on the outside to hold them together is not my idea of being very strong...... where as the other is plaited or woven together has got be a lot stronger...... it takes about 12hrs to make 1000mts of plaited braid so you can see the extra cost........ 

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2004 at 1:02pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Like what Lethal said, it also depends on the metal that has been used. When I was a wee lad, I remember even NYLON cutting into the guide of my $15 rod! So far, with the newer materials in guides nowadays, I haven't heard of anyone complaining about them getting chewed up.

Also agree with Chris...for example, with the fused line stuff, I find that you will also need to be much more careful on the way you tie your knots. I found that with a knot like spider hitch, the pulling of the line to tighten the knot scraped off a few fibres before the final knot position. Well, I found this with one brand of fused line anyway. With real braid, it wasn't a problem.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2004 at 2:17pm
Naki View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have used fused braid for a couple of years now and haven't had any issues with knots. I find the best knot for joining braid to itself is a double uni knot, but using 2 loops.
President of the "Pontoon Owners Club".
I started off with nothing and now I still have most of it left!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2004 at 2:39pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Naki im not sure which type you are using but from what ive tried in fusion braid even a sinker sliding back and forth along it removes the outer covering in time...... biggest down fall is when you get tangles, it is normally totally stuffed.......

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nsane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2004 at 2:58pm
Nsane View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

just a simple question..

if you are using a 24kg braid, would it mean you have to match it with a 15-24kg rod?  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2004 at 4:37pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Nsane, simply YES!

But I don't, as Lethal suggested earlier, fish it like it was a very strong 15kg line.  We all like to have big safety margins in our tackle.  But if you intend to fish it to its 24kg limits, then put it with a 24kg rod.

BP, you have to hammer the counter at your local tackle store to stock what YOU WANT!  Not what they want you to buy.  Call Strawberry, he has all the gear.

give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote VIKING 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 10:17pm
VIKING 3 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

AB-FAB

I have 3reels spooled with braid , 2 Abu,s and a Penn 345.

The best braid i found was spiderwire, 25% the size of nylon as opposed to 33% for most others .I first brought some 25kg about 10 years ago from cabellas in the states ,that 500yards is now down to about 300 and the moss green colour is now white.I have also down graded it to my abu1000 and a 15kg rod even though it still breaks above 20kg

Ibrought some 80lb some years ago in auckland but i cant find any more some help on that would be great .Anybody?

I tried Fusion , it lasted 2 seasons before i threw it away .For what its worth

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 11:45pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

24kg line is 24kg line. I would recommend though that you get yourself a VERY flexi-tipped rod, as you want the flex of the rod tip to help keep the pressure on the fish and reduce slack line from head-shaking and rough water.

Been playing with some Berkley 15-30kg rods lately, dunno the series numbers or anything, but they are Blue colour, and are bloody awesome little rods. Tip folds away sweetly, but rock-solid the more you load it up.

This is about the only half-reasonable pic I have of the rod at the moment, with my AVET reel on it.

The rating, 15-30kg, certainly covers the right spread for a 50lb braid set-up.

Oh, yeah... type of braid. Personally, I really like Fireline, a fused braid, NOT Spiderwire Fusion though, which is awfull stuff. I have normal braid on most of my puka set-ups because it is a little thinner than fireline, but for casting from a spinning reel, fireline is the ONLY option worth bothering with IMHO.

I also like using fireline on overhead reels as well if thickness is not an issue, as fireline feeds off a rotating spool slightly cleaner than normal braids do, which tend ot stick to the spool and can cause backlashes if you don't watch what you're doing.

Fireline is all fused, fused right thru, whereas Fusion braid has a fused outer layer over a braided inner core I think... and in very short order especially if there is any abrasion on the line, this outer layer will tear and peel away, leaving a severely weakened line behind.

So..... If you want my advice, if you have a large-ish reel, as well as a heavy spinning reel (like for poppering or something), get a 1000yard spool of 30 or 50lb Berkley Fireline. If you want to get max amount of line on a smaller reel, then go for one of the normal braid options, like ....ummmm... well, there are lots of types out there.

cheers, Stu.

It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2005 at 10:37pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Who stocks the 1000 yard spools or are they a special order type product? I have seen them on the berkley site Stu just no ones seems to stock them... well not down this way at least. Any suggestions?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2005 at 11:09pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

check tradse me dude a guy is selling big spools on there have got stuff off him and he is very good to deal with.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -mAdfis HO- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2005 at 11:33pm
-mAdfis HO- View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Moocha. Hunting & fishing in Tauranga have 1000 yard spools of the stuff for about $80-$90. Went to 4-5 shops in Hamz searching for it and berkley 60lb vanish flurocarbon. Fish city had fireline in 125 yard spools but had it in only 6lb 8lb 10lb and 80lb and only little spools of 10lb-20lb vanish, they had suffix fluro but **** paying $80 for 27 yards. Bloody hopless. Found everything I wanted at the first shop in Tauranga so now I'll be doing my shopping over there. I'm guna put 30lb fireline on my 6500.

BA. What type of fish is that & where was it caught? I Tried braid (20lb spectra, i think it was) on my trinidad and it just digs into itself on the spool so it's crap for casting alright so went back to 8kg mono. What egg beater & rod you using for casting poppers, penn reel? A Kilwel Jellytip rod would be a good rod to match I think.

FiShInG rOcKs! ChEeRs -mAdfis HO-

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2005 at 10:37am
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Damn Hunting and fishing down in Alicetown in Wellywood only have the 300 yard spoolf but they are like 100 bucks.... very very odd how can it differ so much . I want  a 1000 yard spool to load on to the Saltist with a little left over  for loading onto the old baitrunner for casting poppers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2005 at 8:23am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Don't know if I'm too late on this but these are good prices.
http://www.fishingkites.co.nz/fishingknots/spectra_fishing_line.html
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Page  <12