Burley Machines - best option?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dirtyharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burley Machines - best option?
    Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 9:11pm
dirtyharry View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'm looking for a heavy duty burley making machine, it's gotta be a fairly high capacity as we'll be putting down large batches a few times a year when we clean out the bait freezer or when we have lots of alberts, mullet or KY.  The throat needs to be fairly wide as I would like to feed whole or split lenghtwise fish, don't mind beheading but don't want to fillet 100's of fish in a session plus dont want to waste the frames.

As I see it my options are.....
1) Garden mulcher
2) Insinkerator
3) Big F### off mincer

And it can't be too expensive as Xmas and the summer fishing season are approaching.  So guys what are you using and what are your suggestions?

Cheers
Harry
I waste most of my money on fishing tackle. The rest I invest in women and booze.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 9:17pm
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

4" drop feed wood chipper from hire pool for half a day. it never jams up and even when blunt (frozen fish does that) it still works a treat.
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Out 4 T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 6:35am
Out 4 T View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Garden mulcher. Used mine when my bait freezer broke and all my bait srarted to defrost. It's fast and has a good size opening so you can stick a smaller whole fish in or half a large one. Found the insinkerator slower and it also made a very fine burley almost like a paste
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 7:17am
tuco View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey Rumatibeach get a pic of your DIY one up here it's a classic!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 1:01pm
Zee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hay mate go for a mulcher with a bit of horsepower. not enough and you will spend half a day smashing up heads and frames etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZ_Nitro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 4:09pm
NZ_Nitro View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

hmmmmmm what can we smell? a wood chippa?
Always learning
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raumatibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 8:38pm
Raumatibeach View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by tuco tuco wrote:

Hey Rumatibeach get a pic of your DIY one up here it's a classic!

Say hello to my little friend

Get off my lawn....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dirtyharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 9:17pm
Gold
Gold

Cheers for the replies so far, sounds like a woodchipper or mulcher is the go, any recommendations on brand and model?
Raumatibeach - that looks mean, i guess you didn't get it from bunnings Big smile
I waste most of my money on fishing tackle. The rest I invest in women and booze.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 9:55pm
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

bugger, the price has gone up. still, if you've got some garden work to do afterwards, hire one of these. http://www.generalhire.co.nz/?c=5019
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bludog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 10:53pm
bludog View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just lay it all out on the lawn and put the catcher on the mower!Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 8:03am
Catchit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

"We gave Sir Peter a knighthood," Mr Key said, "And if we could give him a second one, we would."

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dirtyharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 5:18pm
Gold
Gold

I think I've seen the solution in the form of an electric mulcher, just gunna need to mod it a bit to take whole fish.

bludog - i like your thinking but I wouldn't be too popular with the whanau, besides the bloody cat would be in my way - at least until I ran it over Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raumatibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 5:21pm
Raumatibeach View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Those hoggers are wicked we used to put a whole skinned and gutted goat into one and it would mince it up bones and all.
Get off my lawn....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dirtyharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 9:40pm
Gold
Gold

The results are in and they're all good........

Out 4 T put me on to the Talon Trisecta garden mulcher, big ups mate, with 2200w of fish munching power it really did the job.  It did need a wee mod as the standard top is designed to keep fingers away from the blades.  I used a road cone I found by the side of the road and chopped the top and bottom off to accomodate whole fish - just watch ya fingers!!!!!

It will handle decent sized whole ky and skippies but it did occasionally jam up.  Filleting and chopping up the frames with an axe was faster, no worries with skin, scales or whole heads, just feed them thru.  And the texture/consistancy of the berley is perfect with just one pass.

First up take all your old bait.....

Chop the bigger  stuff in to pieces......

Feed thru the mulcher........

Anh hey presto, burley.......

The first go was a bit messy but it now takes about 1hour to make 100kg of burley, thats from getting everything out of the garage to cleaned up and burley in plastic buckets in the freezer.  The talon is easy to clean too, just remove the road cone and yellow tube and hose out and scrub the blades and outlet chute.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 7:02am
Catchit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

lol, you're a genius..Thumbs Up
"We gave Sir Peter a knighthood," Mr Key said, "And if we could give him a second one, we would."

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 11:54am
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

where can I get me one of those?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 3:58pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And the freezer for 5x buckets. Real man shed. Hope you didn't spill tooo much by the back door LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dirtyharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 6:53pm
Gold
Gold

Hey Krow, we've got a dedicated chest freezer for ice, bait n burley, the 4l red containers and the 10l paint buckets are all burley,  the first go had goo splatted up the water tank and over me Big smile.

Blindspot - Talon mulchers are $480 from Bunnings, the roadcones can be found around any roadworksLOL.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Out 4 T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 8:36pm
Out 4 T View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Glad it worked out. Like the mod. I did a mod to mine I put a platform on top of the legs so a bucket can sit square under the chute and not on the angle. My bucket kept on falling over and made a mess
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dirtyharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 5:42pm
Gold
Gold

Hi Out 4 T, we now use a 30l square plastic box that fits nicely under the chute.  Gunna get another roadcone and put it inverted into the existing one to form a funnel and stop the odd splat from flying out.
Page  12>