$200 SP Combo

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $200 SP Combo
    Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 9:51pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I have a mate who fishes maybe 6 to 8 times a year.  He comes out with me quite often, and also likes Diversity charters.  He's looking for a versatile combo that he could use for both types of fishing. I'm thinking maybe a 4000 - size spin reel, and a 6'6" or 7' 2-piece rod, maybe 6 to 8Kgs.  It will mainly be used on snapper, but should ideally be able to tame a king.

Combo's Ive been considering recommending are a Shimano catana set, and maybe the PENN Slammer 702 rod & PENN Slammer 360 reel.  Any other ideas for a similar price?
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Photofisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 9:54pm
Photofisha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Okuma X factor 6-10kg 7ft combo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 11:35pm
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Originally posted by Photofisha Photofisha wrote:

With an EB30 reel, great sets for the money, i have caught hundreds of snapper and a few kings up to 20kg.

Has a bait runner too so you can stray line with it too if you want to.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 11:36pm
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Originally posted by Raging Bull Raging Bull wrote:

Originally posted by Photofisha Photofisha wrote:

With an EB30 reel, great sets for the money, i have caught hundreds of snapper and a few kings up to 20kg. Although i wouldn't recommend targeting kings with it.

Has a bait runner too so you can stray line with it too if you want to.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 8:19am
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

As per Raging Bull. I have had an X-factor and caught heaps over the last 4 years on it. It punches well above its price tag. 

Check out this link for a great deal.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2cold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 9:37am
2cold View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thats your ticket, well worth the extra $50, those salina's have the drag from hell. Knocked over a heap of kings on mine and have fished anywhere up to 15kg braid on it for some light jigging and flicking small poppers around with no worries. Really solidly built compared to the epix, has much heavier gearing (busted the main shaft and the oscillating gear in my 2 epixes, that said they were the earlier models which they had a few problems with, doesn't seem to be much of an issue anymore), all alloy body, sheetloads more drag than you'll ever need (and incredibly smooth even at very high tensions) and it's still a baitfeeder so great for straylining as well.

The X-Factors are a mean rod at that price-point too, just about indestructible, nice action and a ton of grunt. Being a graphite/E-Glass composite they don't have quite as much sensitivity or hook setting ability as the high-modulus graphite rods but they're a heap nicer to fish with than the likes of Catana's, Penn Pinpoints etc. Would have to be one of the best value for money rods around IMO, and that set at $250 is a steal Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fugu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 10:05am
Fugu View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

My X factor randomly snapped below the reel seat. Not sure I'd buy one again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2cold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 10:31am
2cold View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Must've been a rare faulty one or been damaged in transit by the courier or something. Have owned at least 3 personally and have thrashed and abused them with no issues whatsoever. Use the couple I have now mainly as spares for people on the boat, some of whom are fairly new to softbaiting and have seen some terrible, horrific and just plain wrong things done to them and they just don't seem to break LOL

Have sold more of them than any other rod in my summer job at a tackle store over the last few years, have no idea exactly how many but would have to be close to if not over the triple figure mark. Of those we had two back, on was shut in a car door and the other had ended up tip-wrapped during a multiple hookup and was basically cut through by the braid.

Did you take it back? Something like that would almost certainly be covered under warranty as they have a 1 year warranty on them and CD are generally very good with theirs, under those circumstances they would usually just send out a replacement rod
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Plastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 11:46pm
Mr Plastic View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I used 1 when i first started softbaitn 4-5 years ago. it sits on the rack at home now if anybody wants it $40 bucks would cover it plus postage. I spent way to much on the next set hmmmmm.
But you get what you pay for people!! Cheap usually means nasty with reels anyway...
Synit Prototype bender
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Photofisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 8:59am
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Fugu Fugu wrote:

My X factor randomly snapped below the reel seat. Not sure I'd buy one again.

Yeah sounds like a faulty job.
A mates son had his bent double on a eagle ray and managed to retrieve most of his line.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 7:18am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Looks like he's going for the $219 special at Smartmarine.  An Okuma Epix EB30 with Tuffline braid, and a Okuma X-factor 6-10Kg rod.  Sounds like a deal to me - jealousCry  He might get smoked occasionally, but hey - that's fishing.

Thanks for your help guys.

Should be given a baptism of fire aboard Diversity tomorrow - wish us luck.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Photofisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 7:58am
Platinum
Platinum

[QUOTE=Far Quirk]Looks like he's going for the $219 special at Smartmarine.  An Okuma Epix EB30 with Tuffline braid, and a Okuma X-factor 6-10Kg rod.  Sounds like a deal to me - jealousCry  He might get smoked occasionally, but hey - that's fishing.

Dont know much about the reel but those rods are good value.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ET487 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 4:56pm
ET487 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

Looks like he's going for the $219 special at Smartmarine.  An Okuma Epix EB30 with Tuffline braid, and a Okuma X-factor 6-10Kg rod.  Sounds like a deal to me - jealousCry  He might get smoked occasionally, but hey - that's fishing.

Good luck with fishing tomorrow. Friend and me going Sunday,hope you leave us some.Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 7:26pm
Monty View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm gonna sneak down tonight & weld big D to the jetty LOL Hope you have a great time team.