Jet Ski vs Boat

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZ_Nitro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jet Ski vs Boat
    Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 10:55am
NZ_Nitro View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

So I have a 19ft cresta craft, if i sold that i could get two jet skis and it seems fish just about anywhere? whats stability like on a jet ski when parked up fishing? i would suspect they roll everywhere?
Always learning
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sly-Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 4:31pm
Sly-Dog View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

NZ Nitro

The larger "three" person ski's are very stable.  I can stand on one corner and not tip it. (Only marginally under 100Kg).

While I normally fish by myself I have had no problem with another marginally under 100Kg person on the ski as well!

I also have a tow mat which I dont use now but when I did, provided more stabilty. This may be an option for you as well.

Best way to find out is come out with myself or another jetski fisher sometime.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZ_Nitro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 6:46pm
NZ_Nitro View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

i can see advantages on both sides but I can see potential with a jet ski
Always learning
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote T_CARP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 7:09pm
T_CARP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

keep the boat!.. unless you dont have/like fishing with friends... In my view thats half the reason you go fishing... hang with mates talk s h i t  etc. Not as much fun catching a good fish and shaking your own hand or yahooing  by urself. my 2 cents worth.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZ_Nitro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 8:59pm
NZ_Nitro View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Dont think i would sell it, its just that it came to mind thinking about selling it and buying two jet skis could mean easier to launch and in more remote places
Always learning
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 9:13pm
Phats View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Death to Below Death to Below wrote:

keep the boat!.. unless you dont have/like fishing with friends... In my view thats half the reason you go fishing... hang with mates talk s h i t  etc. Not as much fun catching a good fish and shaking your own hand or yahooing  by urself. my 2 cents worth.

While I can see the attraction I cant help agree. I go fishing to hang out with the boys ( or girls ), fish are the bonus
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote POWERSPELL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 6:45am
POWERSPELL View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

we do go out with mates we hook up on a forum  and meet on the water all my mates have skis sometimes we have up to 8 skis out ?? we all try area to find which are holding then we make the move with vhf and slay em normally its no prob to get 8 snap in 2hrs softbating gas bill is down to $30 to$50 max if i go 2 gannet or flat rock in my old boat try 100 bucks to noises and back wash down is a treat 10 mins.. if looking for a ski get only seadoo gtx 2006 up and same with yami seadoo has fresh water cooling as well had mine 2 years no probs..u will get out alot more with a ski than i did with my boat in summer 2-3 times a week after work cause its easy people that slag it have never tryed it or the boss wont allow make up yr own mind..and there very stable i fish 2 up 80% of the time and go out in up to 25knts to noises where u would get slammed in a boat no matter how big ur nuts are
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote T_CARP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 9:00am
T_CARP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by POWERSPELL POWERSPELL wrote:

we do go out with mates we hook up on a forum  and meet on the water all my mates have skis sometimes we have up to 8 skis out ?? we all try area to find which are holding then we make the move with vhf and slay em normally its no prob to get 8 snap in 2hrs softbating gas bill is down to $30 to$50 max if i go 2 gannet or flat rock in my old boat try 100 bucks to noises and back wash down is a treat 10 mins.. if looking for a ski get only seadoo gtx 2006 up and same with yami seadoo has fresh water cooling as well had mine 2 years no probs..u will get out alot more with a ski than i did with my boat in summer 2-3 times a week after work cause its easy people that slag it have never tryed it or the boss wont allow make up yr own mind..and there very stable i fish 2 up 80% of the time and go out in up to 25knts to noises where u would get slammed in a boat no matter how big ur nuts are

If you have enough mates take out 3 of use at a time... $33 bux each! sorted as auw!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 10:16am
Zee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Agreed boys. Boats all the way, take the family and mates out!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote POWERSPELL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 8:21pm
Silver
Silver

peolpe who havnt had both carnt commentClap

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote unlimited Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 10:12pm
unlimited View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

everyone has there own idea's, but for me it boat all the way, you have more room to get your gear sorted,do ski's have storage for a 20kg king, what sort of rang do they have, i could not think of anything worse then being on a ski at mayor or white and it chops up and having to get home,you can say that a ski will get back faster but i would rather close the doors up and kick back with the auto pilot on nice and warm
keeping it reel
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2-EXTREME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 10:38pm
2-EXTREME View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well.............the age old debate that keeps coming up time and time again. I will try not to rant and be biased and the best thing to do is look back through old posts on here and form your own decision along with what suits your circumstances.  (That was hard to type as I wanted to really say what I thought of anyone knocking skis when they don't know s%$t)

I will keep this short and sweet and is MY OPINION only:
I have been around boats my whole life with having at least 15 various rigs whilst growing up and once I could buy my own I have personally had 3 boats and now have had 4 Jetskis.
Boats are plenty of fun and have their place dependant on your circumstance and lifestyle. I will own a boat again one day, but I will also have a ski at the same time.

Reality time though. My preference for using a ski is that I generally have time constraints with wanting to spend as much of my weekends with my young kids/family so something that I can have ready in 2 mins be on the water in 10, get out fast, catch as much as I need and back home again on a Sat/Sun morn with the ski washed down just as the kids are getting out of bed, is ideal for me. I am not one of those guys who takes the whole day to go fishing ignoring my family (thats just me). So quick fast trips are important for me to maximise my time, whether it be early mornings before work or in the weekend.

The other reality is many people with boats generally speaking don't use them that often, especialy if you get into 7m plus categories, even more so due to  time, other mates being available at the same time, and the share cost involved with running and up keep.

2.5 years ago when I first got into JSF there were approx 6 skis around NZ doing it. Now there are over 500 skis being used for fishing and when needed plenty of family fun. Many of the skis are now owned by previous boat/launch owners that LOVE it and wish they had done it years ago.

For me I have always fished with various mates from my boats, but I will say this now, I have fished with more guys and made more great mates than ever before since being on a ski compared to fishing of a boat.

Anyway I could go on and on with this topic for hours so I must stop here.

Boats are great, but so are Jetskis it all depends on your circumstance and lifestyle requirements, so don't knock it till ya tried it. One last thing if you do.........there will be no turning back as it is the most addictive, habit forming thing you will ever do that is legal!!
"DRY YOUR EYES PRINCESS THE PAIN YOU FEEL IS ONLY WEAKNESS LEAVING YOUR BODY"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OffTheHook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 11:35pm
OffTheHook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

well said 2-Extreme, i have owned 3 boats no skis, recently had a blast on a new skool seadoo man was it fun Big smile... the whole skis vs boats debate all depends on the person as our circumstances arent all the same. Ive been looking at skis for a while and id love to find a nice kawasaki ultra 250/260 for the right coin, will still own a boat though. I like the idea of being able to go out and make the most of a small weather window or on a mint weekday when your mates arent available to go fishing, Being able to cover ground faster (changing spots) would also make my fishing a whole lot more efficient....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote POWERSPELL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 9:49am
Silver
Silver

well said 2X the other thing is try and find 3-4 mates when u wana go out! also there always ya mate while the boats in the water once it comes out where did they go?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yammieski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 11:36am
Yammieski View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Here we go again, as 2-extreme says and I happen to agree, I have a 16.6ft Figlass, A 24Ft Atomix plus my Yamaha jet ski, i love to go out with mates and family but sometimes one just wants to get away on ones own, get in amongst the wash have generally chill.
So for me there is good reason to have both. family also use the ski to nail a few waves and tow the little ones around as well.
same thing as above, its differant strokes for differant  folks so to speak.
enjoy life while you can I say. Thumbs Up

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 11:54am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

d) all of the above Smile

Fishing is whatever you want it to be, how ever you want Thumbs Up

There's nothing like fishing with great mate(s), and there's nothing like being hooked up, 80nm offshore, out of sight of land in a tinny by yourself too LOL

Both. The boat for it's advantages, and a ski for it's advantages.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 12:33pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Can see strong arguments for both and which you decided to use would be totally dependent on ya lifestyle/circumstances plus needs for the actual day. Would be nice to have both, say a small hardtop plus a jetski. All the options covered then!

Like death2below, I have 3.9m IRB which is a bit of an inbetween the 2 really. Piss easy to get ready and launch by yaself but even more fun with a mate or 2 involved. Can do short quick missions easy as - I'm usually home by 10am most weekend mornings with good feed and a smile on the dial and less than $20 gas used.... On the other hand I can also do a full day mission further afield if I prepare well enough. Just can be a bit of a wet ride at times thats all. Plenty of room for heaps of gear too for those LBG missions and an easy way to come home with a couple of good sized kings rather than walking them out.

Chose an IRB over a yak a few years back after a lot of contemplating and glad I made the decision I did. Now I'm thinking of getting something like a small stabi and moving up to the world of front steering but still keen to be able to get out by myself if I want.

Decisions, decisions....
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 1:06pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Yammie and Espresso are on to it.  Have one of everything and then you have options!  Have a yak and 6.2m fizzer and the Ski is next on the list. There's days when a paddle will be my preffered option, days when the boat is best and days when I know a ski would be ideal - for the same reasons as 2-Extreme . Can't see a launch fitting into the plan until I have the time to use it and the nice people at lotto think it's my turn!

Everyone has different needs, circumstances and there's no right answer  - more a matter of what are the options at any stage of your life.
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 8:32pm
The Dog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

One thing to watch if you choose a ski is your undies will get all knotted  and ride up your date and make you anti and grouchy when a boaty on this forum says a boat is a better option.
Not sure why but seems to have been an issue for some time judging by past posts.
Might have something to do with the seat shape , ...........

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jetskifishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 9:37am
jetskifishing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

As said, each to their own on the right day... What ever the case, give the jetski platform a go if you get a chance, as there is definitly a fun factor about itSmile

Jetskifishing Monster Snapper Hunt, 15th-17th October 2021
Page  123>