Bluff

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mike the spike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bluff
    Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 11:03am
Mike the spike View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi there,just wanted to know where to fish in Bluff(from shore),South Island
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mike the spike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 12:06pm
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote z_si Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 2:49pm
z_si View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've only fished off the wharf but you can get legal blue cod there. Also get a lot of baby tarakihi but wouldn't expect the bigger ones to be around. Heard of trumpeter, moki, blue cod, red cod, warehou, gurnard, skate, stingrays, conger eels, barracouta and various sharks there. A guy also told me they get crays around the pilons of the wharf. Apparently there's quite a few spots off the rocks around there where you can get moki and trumpeter as well but normally a lot of kelp and snags to get past.

For bait good old squid works well for a lot of different species including the blue cod and trumpeter etc but the stingrays love it and there's some big ones out there probably up to 200kg. For moki crayfish or shellfish baits are meant to be good but also prawns you can buy at the supermarket work
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mike the spike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 2:54pm
Bronze
Bronze

wow thanx that does actualy help alot bcoz i thought id only find dogs there,so will nuclear chickens be gud?wheres the warf?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote z_si Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 2:58pm
z_si View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Never used softbaits so got no idea really. You'll catch something if you put some time in just fishing a ledger trace with a bit of squid or something for bait. There's a few wharfes I think you can fish, both you can drive your car onto. They also get salmon off the wharfes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote z_si Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 3:02pm
z_si View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Those two places marked on there is I think where I fished, the first spot being the better one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mike the spike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 3:42pm
Bronze
Bronze

thanx im going tomorow so ill try them,ill reply with the results.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fatjimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 10:30am
fatjimmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

sweet.. bound to be troughy blue cod.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mike the spike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 11:25am
Bronze
Bronze

how many can i keep?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mike the spike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 11:00pm
Bronze
Bronze

i got nothing but i did get 7 Paua
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwis fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 8:25pm
Kiwis fly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I could have told you not to waste your time fishing off the wharf in bluff or even off the rocks as all the good fish are only caught by boat so get yourself a Frewza F14 then you will catch the good stuff...:-) Lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 8:59pm
chad View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not completely true, some good fish get taken off the wharf. The salmon are impressive!
https://www.facebook.com/nzsurfcasting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwis fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 9:47pm
Kiwis fly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Really? Wow.....I've ever only seen dog fish or a mongrel fish which I don't know the name of though they are a pest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 7:51am
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

one of my fishing buddies has caught gurnard from the wharf ... i prefer getting out on the boat myself