Importing boats from U.S.

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Force5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Importing boats from U.S.
    Posted: 25 Sep 2010 at 8:22pm
Force5 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Seems to be some great prices on boats for sale in the U.S. at the moment.
Has anyone had experience importing boats that can give a breakdown of all the costs that must be considered (freight, duty, GST, regulatory, compliance etc etc). Any pitfalls to be avoided? (different models of motors/ electonics etc).
Best to go through an importing agent? 
Sorry if this has been done before I had a search for the topic but couldn't see anything.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2010 at 10:47pm
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Boat exports need to be signed of by a licensed transfer agent, who can handle the coastguard release papers.  Owners can't release the boat, so if you send the $ the owner walks and you don't get the boat.  Not everyone can do export permits.  They do charge too, so pays to get someone that isn't going to stuff you around...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 2:53pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Force5 - we looked at bringing in a 48 foot displacement vessel from Florida and the freight was NZD$85k
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Force5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 5:06pm
Force5 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for comments, looks like some serious investigation is required before I even think about starting to search for boats,  there is a 10% duty and then 15% GST to stick on top of everything else so maybe the prices wont look so good after everyone has had a piece of the action
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wanabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 9:23pm
wanabe View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

About 8 years ago some guys where bringing Bayliner boats in, and there key was to have a rep in USA so he could get the best deals, and they used to put 2 boats in 1 container,  then they shipped them on closed in boats as the sea spry was to hard and they had lots off damage not sure if they still do it.

some good looking rigs though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steve63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 9:06pm
Steve63 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I brought a 34 foot bayliner into the country from Oregan about 5 years ago. The exchange rate was similar to current. I did save money but there are pitfalls/hidden costs and it takes careful organising.
You don't say what size, style or brand of boat you are considering and this could definately change the economics or strategy. But heres a few things I learned.
If you buy privately you need to use an escrow to protect your money, not all states require a coastguard release so check that out carefully, you'll probably want to find a local to undertake a survey and seatrial unless you are sufficently skilled and intend to incur the cost of flying up to check the boat out yourself, inland frieght can be expensive so as much as it seems attrative to buy a freshwater lake boat it is probably best to buy close to the seaport you intend to ship from, unless the boat has a trailer you'll need to have a cradle constructed, I beleive duty is 7.5% not 10%, International frieght costs have risen significantly since I brought ours in and some ports are more cost effective than others, last I heard a 40footer would cost around USD40k for seafreight,
don't forget to add insurance costs and NZ port charges...I got pinged $3k demurage at port Auckland becuase the bilge had water in it and it sat on dock for 5 days waiting to be cleaned 

I guess it also depends on what is your primary objective.....eg save money on a boat for yourself or make a buck on resale....the later is tough as NZ boat buyers are very conservative and selling a US boat is in my experience definately tougher than selling an NZ or Aussie made boat . 

Overall this can be a positive and worthwhile experience but it is not without its risks. Be prepared to research very carefully or get burned.

PS I subsequently owned a Genesis which I found much better suited to the kiwi way of boating and when I went to sell it simply came down to getting the price right rather than having to battle potential buyers perceptions and misconceptions.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 9:00am
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

I know a few guys that have bought boats in from Japan, certainly get a lot of boat for your buck but i have not done it myself. Tau website has second hand boats.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CEEBEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 2:52pm
CEEBEE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would suggest you look locally....plenty out there at the right price and you know what your getting cause you can go see it / sea trial etc and haggle prices.
I STARTED THE DAY WITH NO FISH AND I STILL HAVE PLENTY LEFT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 4:09pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

^ That is what we decided in the end. Bringing a big timber boat in from the USA seemed really cheap until we got seriously involved in the hidden costs and still there was the risk of the vessel being unsound.

Strangely, the Yanks seem to like electric (110V) galleys.

A cheap 48ft Grand Banks was USD$90k, plus getting it here (add NZD$100k?) and then conversions to gas, hacking out rotten timber etc. (NZD$40k?). After a while the local NZ boats @ NZD$400k and in stunning condition started to look OK.

A year later and the same NZ boats are still on the market and the vendors are asking $350k or less. Local boats start to look good
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Force5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 9:02am
Force5 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks all for the comments. I have a close relative in Corpus Christi, Texas, who is a "small
" boat game fishing fan, i.e 28 footers with big twin/ triple outboards. So was hoping to find a boat close enough to him that he could check it out for me and also help with arrangements. I have been looking at around the 28-30 ft with twin inboard diesels shaft drives, these are reasonably rare in the states where they love their petrol power. I like the looks of the Rampage 28s and there are some out there at around $50K with diesels or $30K with petrols. Sounds like I can add easily 50 K, at least, to this to get it here. I think 'buy local' certainly stacks up.
Once again thanks for all your help.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote moomba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 3:31pm
moomba View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi there
Ive just returned home from vancouver canada where i spent many hours looking at boats and comparing prices i drove across the border to seattle as shipping from here was easier mainly due to the fact that there was no roll on roll off out of vancouver. I looked at all sorts of boats and still havnt decided on what im going to buy ive looked at ski/family boats and it seems no matter what you buy doing it this way will definitly save you money and shipping doesnt seem to expensive and land transport shrink wrapping etc is all included in the purchase.
Ive more recently been looking at fishing rigs as i have a mate who was interested in buying one and the prices are hard to believe and most of the boats are all fresh water only boats.
Are you still thinking about importing? Im definitly going to but just need to decide on a boat.
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gadzook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 9:17am
Gadzook View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'd work with an agent since they're more likely to be well-versed in all that's involved. I used A-1 boat shipping service a couple years back to have on delivered from the U.S. I don't remember the exact price, but it was when fuel prices were pretty steep so it was high (make sure to include overland transport costs to get to part too). Obviously the size and weight of the boat are big factors in the cost. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vam2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 7:05pm
vam2000 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

ATTENTION ALL!!

BOAT EXPORT USA IS A SCAM......PLEASE DO NOT BECOME ANOTHER VICTIM!!!

We were invoiced for 2 boats that Igors Tjutins later admitted were scams and the prices were too cheap to be real.  He then offered us older boats that cost more money and admitted that other boats on his website were scams.  When we started to feel uncomfortable and asked for our money back he told us he was charging us $2000 USD per boat.  There is small print on his website that he thinks makes this a legal thing to do!  When we insisted he refund the full amount he told us he would fight us in court using our money!!

So basically Igors Tjutins will invoice you for boats that do not exist.  When he receives your money he will tell you they are not available - sold or a scam.   He will try and get you to spend more money and when you ask for your money back he will hit you with his $2000 USD per boat charge.  You will then be emailed a "release form" to sign to agree to do this which of course you will do because you want the rest of your money back.  This is blackmail!!  He will then make every excuse in the book as to why he couldn't transfer your money that day which went on for 10 days + until we threatened to go to the police.  So he makes even more money on the interest on your money!  We are still fighting to get our $4000 USD back and the matter is now with the police.

Spread the word about this mongrel so that he cannot steal any more innocent boat buyers money!!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 9:43pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If purchasing from overseas ALWAYS use Paypal.
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 7:24am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I imported a digger from Japan and it went sweet but a lot of work.

My boat is a Japanese import also and similar ones are very affordable there, but risk abounds unless you fly over and check it out in person.

Even then it's tricky.

I would buy from Japan over the states though and I lived in the states for many years and travel there often.

Japan just seems cheaper all up and easier, if they have a boat you like etc.

Buy in N.Z first if at all possible as others have said would be my advice.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paulaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 3:13pm
paulaya View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Garry
Im not sure if you are still looking this topic.
Which company did you use to import a digger from Japan.
I am looking for the way to import a boat from Japan.
Thank you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 7:44am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I purchased the digger f.o.b. (Free on board) so the ship etc was all down to them.

We paid the money into a Japanese bank a/c and they released the funds to the vendor upon viewing the bill of lading (there's an acronym for this of coarse).

In terms of a customs agent in N.Z it's been a long time and I forget who we used but a few phone calls will find someone for you who handles this type of load.

I also have a Yamaha boat out of japan that a guy I know imported but once again a long time ago so info might not be current.

There will be more cost around this on the N.Z end than you expect if you don't do your homework, cleaning, and other charges...Both my digger and my boat were excellent deals in the end but more work than some might like to undertake in terms of B.S.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HuntGatherRepeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 12:50pm
HuntGatherRepeat View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I just used Taurus Logisitics out of Christchurch to import a boat from Florida to Akl but assume they will do anywhere. Did a RORO job and was all pretty straight forward once they had it. Overall 4 out of 5 stars. Only knocking them a bit as I let them organise cleaning, which was done upon export and had to be redone upon inport for MAFS and it's still horribly dirty. 

As another post mentioned, tried Boat Export USA and we're now having to go to court over the whole matter so suggest shying away from them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 3:18pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

But really at the US price of $119000 for a 1986 hull, 2000 engines, are you really saving much on an import?

There was a period a while back when it was in vogue, I remember a lot of those walk around trailer boats being imported (sorry brain fog, forget the brand).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote karuhi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 10:11am
karuhi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello everyone,
I too have been looking at importing a boat from the US, yes i have been looking at boatexportusa-some of the comments from a few years ago here are frightening me away from this idea.
Has anyone imported a 6-7m centre console (or anything from the states in the last little while?
the guy at boatexportusa (Gary) says an 8'6" boat will fit into a 40' HC container - does anyone here know this to be correct?
I have a brother on the texas coast who can at least check a boat prior to purchase but thats about it.
Also i have sent off a couple of emails to boatexportusa's NZ agent (Lucas Palmer at air transport world freight) and had no replies
The entire thing is starting to smell pretty dam fishy

Page  12>