avet sx 5.3

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: avet sx 5.3
    Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 9:24pm
smizz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

just wondering if anyone uses them? how good are they any pros or cons? how much braid would it hold 50lb maybe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 6:42am
swordfishsteve View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi Smizz
I have been using them for a couple of years are think they are great little reels, however they do require regular maintenance due to their open drag design, I also import and Blueprint them for increased drag to suit jigging, they easily hold 300yds x 50lb braid, I have 1 x Blue and 2 Gold SX 5.3 in stock so you are welcome to view if interested PM me. Swordfishsteve
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 7:51am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Smizz
They're well machined and manufactured but need careful cleaning after use. I've had mine for a few years - originally got it for straylining and found it a joy to use and met my needs of a light, strong,  leverdrag reel. Now that I mainly use sb's with a smaller low profile reel or spinning reel it's been largely unused. I've just had the drags upgraded by Swordfishsteve, 300m of 50lb braid put on and bought a second hand jigstar 250 as my jigging setup for the Hauraki Gulf. Hasn't been on the water yet but the combination feels good - I sure hope it works as well when I eventually get out on the water!
cheers
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 7:42pm
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What sort of kg drag your getting out of buddy, I had a sx but  there never felt like their was enough
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 6:15am
swordfishsteve View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi Dave
I get around 10kg drag max with free spool out of the Avet SX 5.3:1 reels, they perform well however you must look after them and service regularly due to their open drag design and bearings are prone to seizing if left with salt water inside, Steve
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 9:46am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What do you think of the LX Avets? I really like my high speed version, but it could have a beefed up drag perhaps. I do need to get it serviced every other year as it seems to go thru bearings pretty regularly.Holds a ton of braid though and nice and light.