Pouto Pt.

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 12:36pm
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

taa...is that white wagon a 4wd..  did you just drive down onto the beach ...  did you drive along the beach at all and how far..??

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 6:03pm
taa View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yup she sure is a 4WD.
Yea we did go out abit further but no further than 1km as the water was getting rougher.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Welsh Contingent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 11:04pm
Welsh Contingent View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi wonderful people, and apologies for resurrecting an old thread.

A colleague recently mentioned Pouto Pt, but I know little about it and with it being a 3 (ish) hour drive was wondering if anyone had more info.

I have 3 young Fisher-learners in tow, so wondering how safe it is with both mother-nature and locals, as the littlies enjoy casting and then running riots.

I do have 4wd, but not overly experienced off roading, so is the beach relatively forgiving?

Lastly it was mentioned to me that there are also dune lakes with fresh water fish, is that true and should you have a rod licence?

Sorry for lots of questions but intrigued to find a new great spot after several years going to Port Waikato.

Any info is greatly appreciated!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote slayliner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 8:55am
slayliner View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi all I'd be quite keen on a bit of info about the area too. We are shifting to Matakohe in a month . So are keen on exploring the Kaipara and surrounds by boat and 4wd. I too used to fish the Port and Kariotahi / rivermouth.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 12:06pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I often go to Pouto with my mates for a weekend camping. The key is tyre pressures.

It can get bloody soft. I drop down to 15psi at times and my utes 2.7tonne with me in it and camping gear for myself.

The point itself can get real nasty, there are a few spots with quicksand and with the tidal movements you can lose a vehicle fairly easily if you get stuck.

Its hard work on any vehicle above the high tide line.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 12:41pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Also I believe the only access point now is from glinks gully. Its the way ive always gone
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote slayliner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 4:16pm
slayliner View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers for that
Page  <12