DIY Lure Building

Page  <12345 12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 9:46am
ReelAppealLures View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Bungel_ Bungel_ wrote:

I have stuck it out with the 1.6mm  316 Stainless Steel marine grade welding rods and have been able to sort out nice round eyes with 3 twists to neatly lock them. Have tested them to 40kg breaking strain on some digi scales. They didnt budge on 40kg so expect they will handle much much more.

Bought a few decent poppers the other day .. 100, 125 and 150gram designed for GT fishing and built to a very high standard. $100 + worth of lures, they are great to look at and see how the pros have done it.

I also got some .9mm 306 SS wire off an old coil for welding. Will give that a test out this weekend, but looks to be a little thin for what i want, even though it might do for strength, just looks thin. Also not being Marine grade 316 i will probebly not use it.

Will put some pics up this weekend as i will be adding some colour on sunday, hopefully. just need to give a few more coats of white

Purchased a marine grade varnish for the final product, Hope it works out. Would rather be using an ultra clear epoxy but its more than double the cost. and not even half the amount. Will use it for securing in the eyes and filling in around the eyelets once i have finished the through wire.

Sweet, look forward to seeing some pics Bungel. I wouldn't worry to much if things aren't Marine grade, the lure will be lost or in need of re-rigging swivels etc.. well before rust/corrosion weakens the wire. Just remember to wash and dry your lures after fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 2:58pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

RealAppeal
Your postings have really got me going, I have started making my own floating stick lures.
I am fortunate I found an excellent craftsman with a lath (as I have none) and he has turned for me some basic shapes to get started. I have had a battle drilling the vertical holes straight, but now have them in place.....the offsets will be filled with epoxy.
Next steps are placing in the lead ballast, the pencil ones will be in the tail and will be epoxied small lead weights, then I will shape them on the belt sander - put flat sides, sloping heads and then the paint job and placing hooks.
I have no idea which and what idea will work, but they will look good on the boat (tackle box or on the dash).

Your tips and excellent examples are great to follow, and I will keep you up to date with progress.
I need them to be finished before the Xmas cruise.
Don
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bungel_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 2:21am
Bungel_ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here is where i am at so far.

The set up with a bit of oak to test with.

Soon realized i would need a bigger tool test for the larger lures and that a Self Centering Chuck would very advantageous for doing the cupped faces. more $$'s!!

I did some tests on the trial wood i had bought for floatation - Oak and pine, just stuff i picked up from bunnings. The pine was really light and the oak way too heavy and sank. Checked out some other wood and found White Oak, heavy but had good bouyancy.

This is the first decent piece i started to work on with the White Oak.

After a little sanding.

After putting a bit of cup on the face of the popper - the main advantage of using a Self Centering Chuck. Have found them very hard to perfect and make deep, had a few pieces split on me and take chunks out when the tools caught.. might just need to speed up the lathe and sharpen the tools some more.

After a further sanding i took it off the lathe to start the drilling process - through wire, belly hole, tail hole for casting weight and one for the face to fit a grommet in.

Had a little trouble getting the two holes to meet up, but worked out. the wire threads through nice and tight. Was testing it out with 300lb mono thinking i might be able to use that if i couldnt get the holes to meet up properly.

Drilled a 10 mm hole for the casting weight to fit into.

Took the idea that someone had posted on here for making the tail weights from ball sinkers. They work out perfectly. Very solid and tidy when fitted in.

Now comes the painting part - and am still in the process of finishing off the lures but will show where im up to. Decided to go with some White Knight paints , called Splashes. All the standard colours in both oil and water based along with fluros. They are Acrylic Enamals, i went with water based. I also gave the lures a a few coats of 100% Acrylic wood sealer firstly followed by a light sanding.

I made up a little jig to make it easier to paint the lures and turn them. Much better than trying to hold them with a bit of wire.

After 3 coats of White.

Decided to give it a weigh at this stage with all the metal added in and only the final painting to be done. Came out at 120grams (White Oak), and the other one being 100grams (Pine). Very happy with that as those were the weights i was aiming for.

The masking process before colour is added and stickers.

Its been great thus far to get these lures made.

Will post up the final products when they are done, hopefully in the next few weekends.Big smile

here fishy, fishy fishy.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bungel_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 2:27am
Bungel_ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sorry about the image sizes, some sites they work on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HULK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 7:13pm
HULK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey RAL, can you please tell me what brand and type of epoxy you're using for your final gloss coat on your lures, or even just what type of epoxy i need to look for. Seems there lots of varieties of epoxy and its got me a bit confused.
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 9:54pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fishee, I intend using Epiglass 9000 epoxy resin, used it for boat building.
Mix it with micro-ballons  for filling and use as an adhesive and it sands very well. Dilute the same mixture with thinner (5% to 10%) and coat whole lure, for waterproofing.
Then use a special undercoat that sticks to the under coat and allows paint to stick on top. (I have some from Resene). After painting intend coating with single pack polyurethane and Uroxsys make a really good one of those. That is the plan, but I expect after my third go in about Easter next year I will have simplified it.
Personally I think full waterproofing with epoxy may not be necessary (some of my lures are from treated wood, so they will not need that treatment). You do not go fishing every hour of every day, the lures are only immersed for a short time and dry out the rest of the time.  So waterproofing may not be necessary. I will try anything and I am enjoying shaping these, it is a new hobby and hopefully will land a few big ones.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HULK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 10:08pm
HULK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks Don, I've been water proofing my lures by submerging them in pigmented sealer and it seems to do a fine job of sealing/undercoating them, also fill all the holes. I'm more interested in what to do after I've finished painting all the colours and want to gloss it up with something nice and hard and durable. Was of the understanding that this was done with some form of epoxy? Paint person at hardware shop told me that a polyurethane wouldnt stick to paint as it needed to penetrate the timber a bit. But never really know if they can be believed

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 10:34pm
Platinum
Platinum

don/hff,

My final epoxy coat is Envirotex epoxy ( google search will fill you in )

You could use 2-pak poly urethane, but to achieve the same build of finish as E-tex will be around 50 coats!

As for water proofing the lures before paint, the easy way is to soak the lure in a 60/40 mix of boiled linseed and turps. With not sealing the lure you run the risk of the wood splitting and warping.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 10:57pm
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Stupid question but is boiled linseed something you can buy or do you need to get the oil and boil it yourself??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bazzman58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 9:18am
Bazzman58 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Murph Murph wrote:

Stupid question but is boiled linseed something you can buy or do you need to get the oil and boil it yourself??

You can buy it from most hardware or paint shops.
We all have one that got away..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 9:52am
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for that info RealAppeal. Yes makes sense now. Your advise and knowledge make you the guru. Better get out in the workshop and begin finishing these beasts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HULK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 10:05am
HULK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks RAL, will post a photo once its all done. Think its about time we had some action shots put up here too as theres so many photos of nice looking lures but not a single fish attached to any of them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote danjer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 1:16pm
danjer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

This thread is enough inspiration for me! I'm gonna have a go! I'm a Cabinet Maker by trade and have done a lot of wood-turning since my grandfather taught me when I was about 10, Am now doing my building apprentiship so have access to all the products needed, Will post some pics once i'm underway!! I think i'm going to go buy some more poppers to try get my head around the whole weight placement and amount. Trial and error will be the way I guess. Any tips for weight placement etc?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 2:50pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by here fishee fishee here fishee fishee wrote:

Thanks RAL, will post a photo once its all done. Think its about time we had some action shots put up here too as theres so many photos of nice looking lures but not a single fish attached to any of them.

I agree, but can't get out fishing enough!!LOL

I am hoping Falco has a couple of succesful pic's when he gets back from Samoa. These lures were made for him to try out in Samoa. Fingers crossed as I didn't get to swim them it was a rush job.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bungel_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2010 at 2:37am
Bungel_ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The real buzz will be when i see some mates land a few fish on the lures i have made them. Cant wait!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HULK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2010 at 10:20am
HULK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi RAL, Have done my latest stick bait with envirotex epoxy like you suggested. Sure makes it look the part but have you noticed that it doesnt dry rock hard? can still dent it with my finger nail although the mark does disappear after a few mins. Think this may be a property of the product but just wanting to check that its not just me?
Also how do you apply it? being so expensive I made up the least amount possible and resorted to trying to pour it on then spread it around to try make it even, its pretty self leveling so wasnt too bad, imagine a full dunk would be best but I'm too stingy to make that much up at once.
Will put up a photo when I can be bothered plugging in my camera
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 7:11am
Platinum
Platinum

Hi RAL, Have done my latest stick bait with envirotex epoxy like you suggested. Sure makes it look the part but have you noticed that it doesnt dry rock hard? can still dent it with my finger nail although the mark does disappear after a few mins. Think this may be a property of the product but just wanting to check that its not just me?
Also how do you apply it? being so expensive I made up the least amount possible and resorted to trying to pour it on then spread it around to try make it even, its pretty self leveling so wasnt too bad, imagine a full dunk would be best but I'm too stingy to make that much up at once.

Good stuff,

E-tex will take around 3 days to fully harden and will go rock hard.
You may want to check that you are mixing exactly 50/50 with Part A and Part B...

As for applying the epoxy I use a resin brush, found any where that sells brushes and acetone for clean up, but I know Murph has had luck using a sponge brush also.

Mixing a whole lot to dip a lure in would be a huge waste don't do that!!Shocked Just paint it on like you would with any normal paint, I presume you are hanging them to dry? keep flipping the lure end for end whilst the epoxy sets up... also you may need to keep the coats a bit thinner if you hanging them and not rotating the lure whilst it drys.

In the picture above of the 2 poppers you will see my proto lure rotisserie. It has a 5rpm motor that drives the lures around whilst they dry, the spring holds the lure so it doesn't flop around as that will let the epoxy sag on the flop side. You can apply a thicker coat when they are spinning but don't go too crazy as the epoxy will sag... Don't be too concerned though, I have made more mistakes than lures! and it really sucks getting to a finishing stage and mucking it up so just keep mucking around and experiment you will find something that works for you... 

Good luck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HULK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 11:25am
HULK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by ReelAppealLures ReelAppealLures wrote:

Good stuff,

E-tex will take around 3 days to fully harden and will go rock hard.
You may want to check that you are mixing exactly 50/50 with Part A and Part B...

As for applying the epoxy I use a resin brush, found any where that sells brushes and acetone for clean up, but I know Murph has had luck using a sponge brush also.

Mixing a whole lot to dip a lure in would be a huge waste don't do that!!Shocked Just paint it on like you would with any normal paint, I presume you are hanging them to dry? keep flipping the lure end for end whilst the epoxy sets up... also you may need to keep the coats a bit thinner if you hanging them and not rotating the lure whilst it drys.

In the picture above of the 2 poppers you will see my proto lure rotisserie. It has a 5rpm motor that drives the lures around whilst they dry, the spring holds the lure so it doesn't flop around as that will let the epoxy sag on the flop side. You can apply a thicker coat when they are spinning but don't go too crazy as the epoxy will sag... Don't be too concerned though, I have made more mistakes than lures! and it really sucks getting to a finishing stage and mucking it up so just keep mucking around and experiment you will find something that works for you... 

Good luck.
Thanks heaps for that RAL, Will give some of those ideas a crack next time. Each lure is a big learning curve but they are gettin better and faster each time so as long as that trend keeps up.....
Should be fishing them this coming weekend so that'll be interesting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HULK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 12:31pm
HULK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Heres a photo of my most recent stick bait, colours look a bit munted in the photos.
Its silver fading into blue with metalic charcoal detailing. All done with spray cans. soon see if the kings like it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 7:53pm
Platinum
Platinum

Sweet man, make it swim and it should catch fish for you. Take notes also and make changes if needed...Colour won't matter as size and action is more important.

Fish em hardBig smile
Page  <12345 12>