DIY Lure Building

Page  <1 9101112>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JOLLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 11:43pm
JOLLY View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

They look great Murph!
I made a few earlier in the year, addictive.

I did a few inserts, eyes & heads with fine glitter & lumo powder pigment. Just kept moving and rolling the mould until the resin started to go off, distribution was ok. Used pearled automotive pigments also, I just need more time to put them together and finish a descent spread for this summer.

A few questions to start,
Do you only weight the angled face heads?
How much and where?
Is that lead between the eyes of the lumo one with no insert?

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 6:55am
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

If you're casting in polyester resin you will have to clean up the lure so a perfect mold isn't all that necessary, however if you plan on using polyurethane at any stage you will want your mold to be as perfect as possible as the lure will cure perfectly water clear without the need for sanding or polishing.  This is where you will need to be sure that there are no flaws caused by bubbles in the RTV.

I've made the angle faces with and without adding weight, I've made several lures with varying amounts of weight to test later in the season and see what works best in various conditions.  Its a case of trial and error for me at this stage.  I've worked out a way of positioning the ballast so that its about 70 / 30 in favour of the underside of the lure to create a keel and aid stability.

The cup faced lumo green one you are talking about simply has a small sinker fitted over the leader tube and I used that to position the eyes onto.  I think though the general theory is that cup faces don't need any added weight, most of the ones I've made don't have any ballast so that one was just an experiment to see what effect the added weight as on the lures action.

You can add colour to your lures simply by raiding your wife's nail polish!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 9:39pm
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Here's one of my keel weighted shell inserts ready to go in the mold.......

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JOLLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 8:14pm
JOLLY View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Are they resin blocks- the inserts that is?
What RTV are you using?
Are you using brass tube so you can turn it effectively in the lathe, is there a way of doing similar with plastic tube?
Can't wait to give it another burst, inspiring stuff!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 8:35pm
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

These ones are polyester resin but I'll be trying out some polyurethane in the next week or so.
You can get RTV off TradeMe but I've found the better quality stuff is from Topmark Products.
Yeah the brass tube forms an effective leader hole and also allows the lure to be turned on a lathe.  I don't know about plastic tube as I haven't tried any. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 6:30pm
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

So here's the insert above now embedded in a lure.  I've been experimenting with various colours and quite accidentally created this effect in the top hat, what do you folks reckon??

Only problem I'm having at the moment is small air bubbles attaching to the eyes, starting really brass me off!!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 6:32pm
C A View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

epic dude, thats fish candy right there!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jaypeegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 7:13pm
jaypeegee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Murph Murph wrote:

These ones are polyester resin but I'll be trying out some polyurethane in the next week or so.
You can get RTV off TradeMe but I've found the better quality stuff is from Topmark Products.
Yeah the brass tube forms an effective leader hole and also allows the lure to be turned on a lathe.  I don't know about plastic tube as I haven't tried any. 

What brand polyurethane will you be using and how strong do you anticipate it being?

"You don't have to be smart to laugh at a fart, but you have to be stupid not to."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 7:17pm
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I've just got a kilo of polyurethane from Topmark to experiment with.  I won't be making the lures out of polyurethane, just the inserts.  You can get water clear polyurethanes but they are very expensive and you need to de-gas the resin in either a vacuum chamber before pouring or in a pressure pot post pouring, or both, so it is a little more of a complicated process.

The polyurethane resin I'm trying out has a shore hardness of 65 from memory.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 8:50pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I had bubbles in some of my heads. Tried a different style eye and problem solved. I put it down to air being trapped behind the eye and being released during curing??.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 10:16pm
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Yeah I've got other eyes as well that don't seem to attract the bubbles but I like the look of these eyes so need to figure out a way to do it without getting bubbles.  I might try mixing a some hot resin and painting it on the insert and eyes to seal them before pouring the lure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 2:32pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Ynot, if you haven't already you should look into getting a copy of Jim Rizzuto's book called "Lure making 101 - 102".  Get onto the bloody decks forum and message him about getting a copy of the book, he's a real nice bloke and is full of good advice.

Hey Murph, Jims book arrived this morning in the post, looks great. I have some reading to do on his style of lure making, and I also got some of his chronical books also.
By the way what have you named your vessel, or have I missed the big announcement?
Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 2:40pm
Jet_ski_fisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Murph that blue head lure can be dressed up to look like a  Saurie 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 6:45pm
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by yknot yknot wrote:

Hey Ynot, if you haven't already you should look into getting a copy of Jim Rizzuto's book called "Lure making 101 - 102".  Get onto the bloody decks forum and message him about getting a copy of the book, he's a real nice bloke and is full of good advice.

Hey Murph, Jims book arrived this morning in the post, looks great. I have some reading to do on his style of lure making, and I also got some of his chronical books also.
By the way what have you named your vessel, or have I missed the big announcement?
Big smile
Cool, its a good book and he's full of good advice.

After changing our minds several times over we settled on "G-Force" for the boat name.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 6:47pm
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Built_to_fish Built_to_fish wrote:

Murph that blue head lure can be dressed up to look like a  Saurie 
Yeah there must be a few people thinking that way too as I'm having trouble keeping up with demand.  I've had people from the States and Tahiti wanting them as well as a few Kiwi fishos as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 6:32pm
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Latest colour........

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 6:39pm
ReelAppealLures View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's a tidy example Murph! Looks good mate... The black hat goes well with the purple... Are you mic' ing the heads and getting them as close as possible? or just free-styling? 

I'm no closer to even pouring a single head yet, but it will happen... I have a few shapes ready to mold however.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reel-Appeal-Lures/300309486704362
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 6:46pm
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

They're custom lures, each ones a little different from the last!!

The basic shape works well, if I want to vary the action then I'll take measurements and adjust accordingly however each one that I've tested has performed equally as well.

I've put that last blue one aside for you if you want it mate, just PM me your address and I'll send it away to you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 6:49pm
ReelAppealLures View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

They're custom lures, each ones a little different from the last!!

The basic shape works well, if I want to vary the action then I'll take measurements and adjust accordingly however each one that I've tested has performed equally as well.

I've put that last blue one aside for you if you want it mate, just PM me your address and I'll send it away to you.

That's cool Murph, I like the way people freestyle the shape with lures... every now and then you get one that is the "one" and can't be replaced...but can be lost.

PM on it's way! Wink
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reel-Appeal-Lures/300309486704362
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 7:08pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Aswome, will look great all dressed up. How did you get around the challenges you were having with the eyes?
Page  <1 9101112>