DIY Lure Building

Page  <1 101112
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 8:04pm
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Being careful mixing the catalyst into the resin, instead of mixing quickly I just stir a few times without touching the bottom or the sides of the cup, then holding the cup in my hand, tilt the cup at about 45 degrees and then turn it around about 20 - 30 times.  This way you aren't mixing very many air bubbles into the resin, seems to make a difference.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Apprentice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 9:02pm
The Apprentice View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Mate nice reading but can yo show how to do with lead jigs please

cheerrs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 9:23pm
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Sorry mate but I have no experience with making jigs however I think you will find that they are not just lead but rather an alloy involving lead, tin, zinc etc.  Straight lead would be too soft.

What I would do initially is get some copper pipe from a plumbing store, cut to length, squeeze up one end, pour in lead and then squeeze up the other end, drill a hole for the split ring and away you go.  Paint it, foil over it, coat it in epoxy or just fish it as it is, I reckon you'd catch fish on it no worries!!

I've used jigs until there is no shiny stuff left on them and they still get whacked!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kinghitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 9:41pm
Kinghitter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey RAL/Murph, (or anyone else in the know!) just looking at starting out turning some stickbaits. Have had a good read through here, one question.

I notice, Sam, your doing something a bit tidier on the front of the likes of the Haku's you have for sale at the moment. I see the poppers have a grommet, but wondering what you use on the stickbaits. I may have to front up some dollars to see the work firsthand!

I notice Murph you used what looks like wood filler to seal around the front loop/wire. Any problems with this cracking under load or is it epoxy of some sort?

Also when sealing the wood before painting, if water is getting through the hole around the wire, is this not such a big issue? Or should some attempt be made to sealing the inside hole after drilling?

Thanks in advance. And thanks everyone for all the discussion in here. Very helpful
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 10:26pm
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I only ever made a couple of stick baits, was just mucking around with them really so I can't really answer your questions.  Sam's your man!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kinghitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 10:30pm
Kinghitter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Murph Murph wrote:

I only ever made a couple of stick baits, was just mucking around with them really so I can't really answer your questions.  Sam's your man!!

Cheers, will wait to see what he has to say. Yours were nice though!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote leadernc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 4:44pm
leadernc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Murph Murph wrote:

Here's one of my keel weighted shell inserts ready to go in the mold.......

hello,
how do you mold your insert ??
i have lot pf probleme with my insert !!
thanks
JKL Lures
Born to catch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WildBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 10:17am
WildBird View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

When I was younger I used to paint barrel sinkers with liquid paper and just run those free with a single hook, sometimes glued/tied some shiny lolly papers onto hook. Something tells me I may have to up my game to compete with some of these lures! Good work all, love seeing ideas and results!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hellsborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 11:36pm
hellsborne View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys, I've made afew lures now and trying different methods as I go. The actual heads are comming out good but I'm just wondering how everyone does their inserts?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 7:30am
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

There are all sorts of ways to make inserts when you are starting out.  Look for suitable containers that you can use for molds at the supermarket and the $2.00 shops.  All you need is something the approximate size for your lure head, you can shape it on a sander if you need to.  All you'll need to do is figure out a way to form a leader hole through it or drill one once the resin has set.  Once you've done that you can decorate it with whatever material you like.

Go take a look at this thread, there is over 100 pages of lure making stuff there....

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/lure-making-and-head-shapes_topic80763.html
http://www.facebook.com/GForceLures
http://www.gforcelures.co.nz/
[email protected]
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EastCoastCapt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 6:09pm
EastCoastCapt View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just getting into pouring some really basic resin heads. Can anyone explain to me how to get that top hat color effect?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 6:24pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

There is a thread in the work up section that may give some more ideas also. Basically do it in two pours, pour first section, let it go off and then complete second.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EastCoastCapt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 2:39am
EastCoastCapt View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

@yknot thanks for getting back to me on that! I was scanning some great stuff on here but couldn't tie on the specifics on that, I'm guessing pour 90 of the resin and tip the mold? Make a partial mold then add to full? Or use a gate in the mold? I'm actually trying to make a surface resin head for a combination soft tail / through wired lure I already produce here in the states called the RonZ. So I've shaped a tail holder on the back of the lure instead of skirt ridges. But would love to pull off the colored back effect. Figured there was some type of additional pour just wasnt clear on the physics or process.
Page  <1 101112