Boat trailer D Shackle stolen

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moko Toa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat trailer D Shackle stolen
    Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 11:11pm
Moko Toa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

A great day fishing was spoiled when  upon return got the trailer backed down the ramp up to the waters edge and winching up only to find that some dirty rotten scoundrel had taken my D shackle. I was amazed that someone would do that and was worried now about getting the boat up the ramp safely, let alone home 100km+ away!

Such a small thing taken, caused so much anxiety.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rotowarriors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 11:25pm
Rotowarriors View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

there's some scum out there all right, some bugger stole the bulbs from my trailer tail lights once whilst parked at kereta. have lost a couple of d shackles now to the slippery buggers so always keep a spare in the truck. you know what they say, live n learn
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 12:59am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

trailer winch handles seam to be a novelty as well...

you might like to put a bolt and nut on your handle then belt the ends over so they stay put...

as for D Shackles, the best thing i did was spend some money on a quick release system, then make sure the D Shackle was well and truly tight and belt it over so it cant be undone...
of coarse these are just temp if they have a hacksaw....

quick release systems for boats here is the type i am talking about...
second one down is what ive been using...
i just tied some nylon cord to pull the pin for when your fingers are cold...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 5:46pm
Big H View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Get hold of park supplies ltd, they do a range of tamper proof shackles to stop people nicking swings and the like. Bout $5 for a stainless one and $10 for the special tool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fogdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 8:24am
Fogdog View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

had the same thing - bloody frustrating. What makes these scum think like thy doAngry
www.fogdog.co.nz - Just Add Beer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote edge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 2:57pm
edge01 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I always keep a spare d shackle in the ute for such occasions. You should take your winch handle off too when you go out. had one of them go missing to, which was very bad when we came to retrieve the boat. had to 'borrow' one off another trailer and then take it back once boat was retrieved. arseholes!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hogdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 3:13pm
hogdog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Times are tough when D shackels are going missing Cry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fozzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 2:50am
fozzie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Always keep a spare on me, had mine go missing before ,seems to be a common thing to get nicked.
Dont take life too seriously.....no one gets out alive any way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moko Toa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 8:51pm
Moko Toa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey thanks all for the ideas. Will consider all your fine suggestions in the future.

Just as an aside, I met a guy on the ramp whose boat trailer had been stolen. The thieves took his trailer, and left their old rusty one next to his ute. I felt for the guy and offered to hang around and help him teach the scumbags the difference between right and wrong (if ya know what I mean). Fortunately a call had gone out to the cops who were able to apprehend the trio of 17y/o boys up the road. Luckily for them the police were going to keep them in the clink for the night instead of making them return the trailer themselves. The cops eventually helped the poor guy get his boat home in the end, with his trailer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dean0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 10:30pm
Dean0 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

If the Magpies flog your D shackle. Using the one on your anchor may reduce anxiety for the trip home Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 6:36am
Double Shot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I came back to Hatfields one day, backed the trailer down and got set...just to find some scumbag had taken my D shackle and the hook from the steel cable (buggered if I know how) thank fully I kept a couple of shackles and just happened to have a spare hook....Always carry both on the boat...
Hey Lethal, great idea might do that setup myself...
70ml of 90deg C water pressurised through 13g of roasted finely ground tamped coffee for 25sec's to make a distinguishing sensory hit called a Double Shot    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YellowV198 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 6:08pm
YellowV198 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

the worst one for me was with our previous boat some kids up at birkenhead unwound the steel cable hooked it down around the drawbar and back onto my winch housing and proceeded to bend the crap out of my wire guides and winch housing.

Got the boat back on but had to replace my winch... little CensoredCensoredNuke