Squid in wellington

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 7:35pm
mole View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah should be worth it, some of the divers iv been harassing say that there's good no's of the wee beastes  around but more from November onwards. you seen many round dekay?  thems freeking huge scollies. see any mokes mooching round the beds?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 8:55am
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've only seen one squid in wellington and that was about 1km around the south coast 4wd track. I had dropped my gun while harassing crayfish so I could not shoot it. About 3m of water over weed and rocks. It shot off pretty damn quick. I don't tend to dive in the harbour that much, the moki I have seen around  the scallop beds are usually small and right on the weedline, normally only 4-5m from the shore. I do see quite a few moki diving around the south coast but I have given up spearing them for the most part. Mostly they tend to be very specific where they hang out and normally over very foul ground.

I'd love to catch some squid in Wellington, keen to find out where/when might be worth a jig...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 10:01am
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

we'll have to get a few bods together for a squid mish soon when the wind pisses off and the water is a bit warmer? i'd be keen for a sess. with some fish.nettersSmile maybe in a couple of weeks or whatever. weekdays,(evenings) all good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 10:11am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was in aussie last week, fishing flats off Bribie island, looked over the side to see a mass of HUGE tiger Squid just finning about round the boat, dozens of them in 2m of water - absolutley awesome sight, pretty large too around 400-500mm long at a guess. They would'nt touch a soft plastic, just eyeballed it then slowly swum off. Squid are awesome, would love to catch them on a regular basis as well. Have a feeling it's an untapped species for targetting.
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 10:16am
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm keen for a weekday evening egg after the kids are in bed, I could get there around 8ish. Have to sort out some gear. Agree that probably better when the water warms...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 10:02pm
mole View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

just made a mess looking at that moke has been too long.. between good fish.  the squid mish sounds like a plan.  didnt get out to nite will try next few days or so.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote red89mx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 11:21pm
red89mx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi guys sounds like a plan...could be up for a quiet harbour fish.  If no squid could always raid one or two of Andrews fishing spots.

I have caught a few sqiddos out Mana wide whilst going for Pukka a couple of years ago....they just hit the Pukka rigs on the way up.  So kept some for Kai and put the others on whole as fresh bait...and pulled up a couple of OK fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 11:51pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ahem.

We have nav lights too?

Make it so Prosport. The later the better TBH. We could all raft up and tell lies, drifting to our doom somewhere in the inky darkness.

DeKay can bring the snacks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 10:13am
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have nav lights as well but I think your flood lights might come in handy. Raft up on a calm evening sounds fun.

Would you like fries with that?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 9:39am
mole View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

tonites the nite i can feel it in me bones. got some more yamaSh*tas, a lonely squid attack and no work tomorow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 11:30am
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

what time you thinking Mole? i might try 7-9pm around oriental?

edit: or burham warf is really close for meLamp
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 2:41pm
mole View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

not sure yet, will be mooching round evans bay/seatoun somewhere. will drop by burham 9ish once the tide has had a chance to come up a bit.  flick me a txt 0211867009 will put sum $ on it .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 6:33pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've only speared one squid in the harbour - weirdly an arrow squid near Miramar wharf. I have speared broad squid at Makara and the South Coast
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 11:10am
mole View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

so that was crap lost ALL of my jigs . did get sum nice teris and trevs but no squid . back to the drawing board . 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paddyak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 4:20pm
paddyak View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i'm keen to join you fellas on a squid mission ... be it boat , kayak or shore.....well i dont have a boat but i do have a kayak .......and legs Tongue

will be wearing a a cheap rain kit from head to toe if on the yak ....heard a decent size bad boy can pretty much paint you in ink !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SINNER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 9:16pm
SINNER View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I used to fish for them when I lived in Perth, the best way we found re the ink thing was once you had them at the boat use a landing net and let them squirt there ink before you lift them aboard. also stops them falling off when lifting them in.

Steve
<000<< Here Fishy Fish <000<<
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 3:15pm
mole View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

gona try again this week.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 6:32am
TheBadger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Stop trying Aaron. Then you'll probably catch one. 
'Badger on the other hand, he's basically a bum'
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 9:13pm
mole View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

will get amy to have a go, as allways she will slay. when you back up?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 9:36pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mole, I was fishing alongside Stormbringer today and he was saying they used to catch some huge Arrow Squid of Mirimar Wharf in the lights on flasher rigs, keep trying!.... or go to Moore Wilsons and buy some, take some pics and tell everyone you've cracked the mythical Wellington Squid...
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Page  <1234>