Squid in wellington

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Squid in wellington
    Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 6:06pm
mole View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

has any one picked up any squid in wellington?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Furstimer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 11:37pm
Furstimer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Tried along oriental bay but no luck...Heard from others that Burnham wharf is a good place but yet to personally do it...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 8:22am
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

tonight would be the nightSmile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 9:15pm
mole View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

lets hope monday nite works, will try obay  and move round abit. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 9:10am
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've been told summer is best but not tried for squid. Only seen one while spearfishing in the last 3 years.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 1:55pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've caught probably half a dozen over the last 15-20 years fishing the harbour - always during the day, mostly around Seatoun / Kau Bay and all whilst fishing for Tarakihi using bait or small plastics. The last one I got was when the screen blacked out on the sounder, I picked them for pillys and sent the platic down to see if there was anything under them, but they were squid!

They are amazing wee beasies, all translucent and colour changing, they try to blend in with the chequerplate ali floor on the stabi, it's facsinating!!! Then they will squirt you head to toe in horrible black ink THAT STAINS ALUMINIUM PERMANENTLY! well does fade over time.

I'd say they are relatively common in the harbour if you were to target them, I also saw one last year swim past the underwater camera I use on top of my burley bucket, it shot past after oogling the camera's LED lights and never saw it again. I brought some squid jigs but have not seem them for a year or so. They are quite aggressive they way they attack baits and jigs. I use them for bait, but have eaten the last couple and they were superb.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who targets them, in Australia, this is a huge past-time of local wharves.

Andrew
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 4:02pm
mole View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

gona have a go this arvo. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 9:21pm
mole View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

no joy. had some look at the jig but wouldnt hit it. Friday maybe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Furstimer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 10:23am
Furstimer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Awesome at least you had something chasing it! Whereabouts in the general area were you? :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 11:11am
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

just bought a yama****A jig off mole and will give it a crack soon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 7:28pm
mole View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

obay and some of the wharf bits in evans . will be skulking round this weekend depending on work etc. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jaypeegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 5:47pm
jaypeegee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Furstimer Furstimer wrote:

Tried along oriental bay but no luck...Heard from others that Burnham wharf is a good place but yet to personally do it...
Hey Furstimer and all

Whats the official story on Burnham wharf.

Is it a restricted/Private  area?

With al the gates and stuff it looks like a nogo.
But posts and such imply that it is OK to fisg off it.

Does anyone know for sure?? It would certainly put muy mind at ease.
Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 2:25pm
mole View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

forgivness is easyer to get than permission.....Wink   give it ago all they will do is move you on
 ive seen a few guys fishing there. will try it one of these nites. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 3:41pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

They are amazing wee beasies, all translucent and colour changing, they try to blend in with the chequerplate ali floor on the stabi, it's facsinating!!! Then they will squirt you head to toe in horrible black ink THAT STAINS ALUMINIUM PERMANENTLY! well does fade over time.

Andrew
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for that bit of info FF.

As a completely newbie squid fisher was intending to take my
new alloy boat out one night soon, when the weather is more
conducive.

However in light of your comments re ink stains may have a
re think & maybe take out the toy ten foot tinny instead. At least
I can slap another coat of paint over that if need be.

With my record the new boat will undoubtably get messy enough
in a relatively short time .... however don't want it looking like
the tray of a bitumen truck just yet. Furthermore it has a protective
coating of nylac inside & out hich could suffer from any vigorous
cleaning.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 3:42pm
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I want to know more about squid in wellington. I love eating them and would be keen for a few explorations after the kids are in bed. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 4:03pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by DeKay DeKay wrote:

I want to know more about squid in wellington. I love eating them and would be keen for a few explorations after the kids are in bed. 

Geez DK .... judging by the size of those scallops in your avatar
reckon you would be better off sticking to them.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 4:27pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tie a bucket next to the boat with a bit of rope so it dangles just above the water.  Drop your squid into one and let it squirt out all its ink Bazza. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jaypeegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 5:06pm
jaypeegee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by DeKay DeKay wrote:

Mate I'm with you DeeKay

ALways up for a feed of squid
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 8:52pm
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wellies harbour makes for some big bivalves. I'd suggest everyone stays away as they are toxic and inedible.

However, I love squid and would love to be able to catch them but is it really worth the effort in Wellies?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2cold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 2:08am
2cold View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

holy Censored that's a big scollie on the bottom right!! Good stuff
Page  123 4>