Squid in wellington

Page  <1 234
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote danp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 10:10am
danp View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I foul hooked a decent squid about 4 weeks ago not far from shore in a boat fishing with bait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearsniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 7:44pm
Spearsniper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A few big ones out at Kapiti at the moment. We are putting spears into them regularly often.
www.spearfishingreview.info
"If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again"

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 12:20pm
Spaz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah I got a decent one the other day in daylight, on a soft plastic. Felt it nibbling at it, and took a while to get the hook into one of its tentacles but got it to the boat in the end, before it jetted me with water, no ink lucky enough...

It surprised me it was in the harbor feeding in daylight 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 4:25am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Anyone successfully egi ing squid in welly and keen to share their knowledge?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tigerfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 11:10pm
Tigerfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi fellow Wellington anglers,

I'm not sure what the status of this post is - there seemed to be a lot of interest in it initially, but nothing posted for a while. I thought I'd give a short update of my recent experiences, and resurrect this discussion for anyone who's interested in it.

I've started fishing for squid around Welly, doing short daytime sessions from the shore because of family commitments. I've been out 3 times in the last 2 weeks, and caught broad squid each time. They haven't been huge - the largest was maybe 20cm mantle length - but they've been enthusiastic about taking jigs.

I've used a Harimitsu Sumizoku 3.5 in the clear/pink EPC colour, a Gancraft Uo-Jya in the silver/blue baitfish colour, and a Daiwa Emeraldas Nude 3.0 in brown ebi colour. 

I've had success at Lyall Bay and Moa Point.

I used to do a lot of squid fishing back home in Australia, but the squid fishing in Welly is proving to be quite difficult. I haven't been able to find squid in the same numbers (or sizes) as back home. The terrain is also a bit different, with much shallower water and lots of thick kelp.

In Australia I usually fish open, seaward-facing ledges and rock platforms facing deeper water, and avoid calmer bays and estuaries. In my experience, squid really hate rough conditions, so Wellington's weather makes it difficult (and sometimes dangerous) to fish those kinds of locations (e.g. Moa Point) unless the weather's been settled for a while.

I might have to change my approach here in Welly, given the wind/storms, as well as the abundance of sheltered areas (e.g. Shelly Bay). I'd also lie to check out some of the wharves and boat marinas that have lights on at night, but I just haven't had time yet.

So, I guess it's a start, and proves that it can be done around here. 

Anyone else had any luck since the earlier posts and discussion?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NomadAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 9:02pm
NomadAngler View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Tigerfish,

I'm just trying to start having a crack at the squid in Wellington, but also have family commitments like you.  I have caught two over the years, both by accident, and both off Clyde Quay Wharf.  One took a stray lined pilchard and was about 40cm, the other I caught on bait flies and was about 15cm (and the little one inked me!).  Both were caught during the day.  I have also seen them around the fringe of light pools at night regularly over the years. 

I've only got the one Black Magic squid jig to start me out.  Can't remember the colour or size off the top of my head, but it's likely pink or orange.

Keep us up to date with how you go, and I'll post if I get anything.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 9:09pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

great to see the thread get goin again. in 3-4 wks i waa planning on giving the squid another go. keen as to swap info etc (maybe pm is best?) i was goin to gv the harbour a gd nudge this winter. cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NomadAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 12:53pm
Bronze
Bronze

I'm keen to dish out whatever I discover, I'm only in it for the photos.  I'm a total beginner with the squid, so can't contribute anything at this stage!  Good luck on the squid hunt.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tigerfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 12:34pm
Tigerfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Nomad,

Apologies for the late reply but I've been busy with family etc here and in Australia.

Have you had any luck with the Welly squid yet? I haven't fished for them since I last posted under another thread "Wellington squid using egi" or similar, but I'm going to try to get out again soon.

Please let me know how you get on.

Regards.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NomadAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 5:32pm
Bronze
Bronze

No worries Tigerfish.  I haven't had too much opportunity to head out, but when I have I've been focusing on other species.  I did have a go yesterday though, but found the sink rate of the jig I have is too slow for the deep water I was fishing.  Will have to try a shallower spot or get some heavier jigs.

Started micro jigging, but was surprisingly quiet.  Changed to softbaits and got 2 trevs and a kahawai, then finished with a crack at squid.  Good to work through a few methods in the session.  Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tigerfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 3:43pm
Tigerfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great stuff. I've been out twice for squid in the past two weeks, in what I thought would be perfect conditions, to the same places where I've caught them previously. Good clean water, good tides, light wind, lots of baitfish around...and caught nothing. Didn't even see one, but I did see lots of kahawai. I spent a whole day out - dawn 'til dusk - last week. I'm starting to think that it's completely random, and that maybe there just aren't that many squid around within reach of shore-based anglers. I haven't tried the night fishing yet, but I guess that's the next logical step. If that still doesn't work, then I'm runningl out of ideas.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 5:43pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thinking i'd check in and see if anyones been having any luck egging?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote About this big Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 3:03pm
About this big View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Went for a squid today however no luck
Went around Shelly bay and the marina by niwa.
Came across some likely looking areas. I’m thinking the Southey wind may have hindered my success.

Any others out there?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stormbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 10:37pm
Stormbringer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Back of te papa hold squid occasionally 

Page  <1 234