rod suggestions

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rod suggestions
    Posted: 05 Aug 2004 at 2:08pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

TAS has bitten me again. i think it is high time i bought something to team up with my penn spinfisher 8500ss. it needs to be able to do double duty casting poppers and rockfishing. ideally i want something longish, say 6 1/2 to 7 foot.

someone posted a while back that someone from sterling sports had ordered a whole heaps of rods and was getting rid of them on the cheap. anyone remember who posted this?

one thing i've noticed using a borrowed penn spinfisher from tobes is that the weight does get to me after a while of casting. the newer penns are supposed to be lighter. so weight might be a factor.

cheers for any input.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2004 at 2:19pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Penn Tri Fibre Pro, Penn Trifiber Pro, Penn Trifibre Pro - triple would carbon fibre and glass, solid glass tip with carbon unidirectionals through the centre.

Seriously nice rods ... at a good price.

I have a 6kg, 8-10kg and now two 24kgs.

Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2004 at 2:23pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes, I have used a tri-fibre Penn too, and it is a very nice 15kg spin/jig stick.

cheers, Stu.

It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2004 at 3:05pm
Naki View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

CJ.

Have you sold your Penn Formula yet?

Shame on you buying new gear with a baby on the way in all. You selfish person you.

President of the "Pontoon Owners Club".
I started off with nothing and now I still have most of it left!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Milan Radonich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2004 at 3:17pm
Milan Radonich View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Diawa VIP's they come in a few weights and are light , wicked rods, when you come out for a fish , you can have a play.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lalandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2004 at 4:54pm
lalandi View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Kilwell do a 15-24kg 'Jigspin'... Can be used with a spinning or multiplying reel. 7' long. Only problem is they are pink which makes them look very gay.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote billfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2004 at 5:27pm
billfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If the rod fits lala.     Then again, maybe they made it for the womble?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2004 at 5:37pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Offshore 7ft magnum XT $220, Kiwi made E-glass 10-15kg available from Norcross in Henderson.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2004 at 6:15pm
Titanium
Titanium

bender and stu, how long are these rods and are they a bit brittle with the carbon? you must have faith in them bender to have three.

naki, i haven't sold the formula yet. i've been a bit slack about posting it on trademe. but i will sell it and the difference will go towards mobiles, prams etc etc. i swear it will.

moohando, i love the vips with an overhead, i have used a couple. that will be my next purchase. how are they with a spin reel?

lala, at least no one wouls bother to steal it then huh. can they be painted??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2004 at 1:52pm
Titanium
Titanium

i found a 8 foot ugly stick at auckland marine centre. rated for 6-8.5kg, seemed to fold away quite nice. anyone have any experience with one of these?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2004 at 2:05pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

CJ - I've had no problems with the graphite. The early ones, tended to be brittle especially when the mass manufacturers started making them. (I remember the Furuno in about 97 when all the clever fishos were tying knots in the rods they won as prizes and one after another the rods shattered) Normally they break at the tip - which is why they now use solid glass tips with a graphite core - you can tie knots in them.

They are light and the action is so good you'll get wood.

Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2004 at 2:08pm
Titanium
Titanium

sounds good bender, and half the price of the uglystick from what i've seen. i'll have to check them out before i make a decision
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2004 at 2:37pm
Naki View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

CJ.

Love those VIPs

I have seen a VIP designed for free spool reels. Not sure the model tho. Think they are pretty rare. Ask Strawberry, he should be able to help

President of the "Pontoon Owners Club".
I started off with nothing and now I still have most of it left!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Bean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2004 at 2:51pm
Mr Bean View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Check out the off shore rods CJ......seriously nice NZ made rods....you can check mine out on Thursday if the weather plays ball!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Penn Formula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2004 at 4:20pm
Penn Formula View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just bought 2 Rods, 1 Rodworks GraphButt FXS-85 which 8'6 long 8-15kg rated. And I bought a Rodworks Stinger 700ss, can't wait to get the Penn 8500ss and the Shimano 6500a onto them to nail a few. Quite expensive but worth the xtra $$$$.   
Why so much work..... And so little Fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2004 at 12:34pm
Titanium
Titanium

settled the matter today! next decision is for my overhead(which i haven't yet bought)

, might look at a vip or gorilla stick.