What I made today

Page  <1234 6>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 6:11pm
ReelAppealLures View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Murph Murph wrote:

A natural wood stick bait and another larger one I am working on.  I have no idea whether they will work or not but I've had a good bit of fun working on them

Sweet Murph!! Make them swim and they will catch fish. Next week for me is stick baits just waiting for the wood to turn up...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 5:49pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Couple of hi speed tuna lures and a few small saltwater flies...

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Smelly Buoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 7:26pm
Smelly Buoy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good work!
Tangled Up In Blue
"Veni, Vidi, Velcro"
I came; I saw; I stuck around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 5:56pm
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by ReelAppealLures ReelAppealLures wrote:

A natural wood stick bait and another larger one I am working on.  I have no idea whether they will work or not but I've had a good bit of fun working on them

Sweet Murph!! Make them swim and they will catch fish. Next week for me is stick baits just waiting for the wood to turn up...
I gave the woody a trial run today and it actually swam really well.  It caught a fish too!  Only a smelly bloody Barracouta but a fish none the less and I was impressed with how hard the coutta hit the lure, launching itself well clear of the water to take it.  I will definitely be making some more stick baits.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 6:10pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

on ya murph couta or not proof is in the hook up, roll on a thumper king to test all the bits and pieces.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jamesdaulton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 5:50pm
jamesdaulton View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I made some prototype Inchiku today.

Ran into a few issues that will be resolved next time around.. mainly non compatable paint systems and the order of assembly.

Body is a 17 g brass hex ticker lure blank - undercoated, painted, holographic eyes and epoxy finished.

Hooks are SJ- 41 1/0 - with UV Crystal flash tied on - + octopus skirts over.

hooks connected with looped through double of 36kg braid through a small soft glow bead. I tied the chystal flash to the hooks first - but it would be way easier to do it last after snelling the hook with the braid.

Results are as below - the top one is a Rock-G bought from from Go Fish for comparison of size. these will roughly weigh out to similar to a 5/8th jig head but wont have the same drag of the soft bait.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 6:53am
ReelAppealLures View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Couple more for the epoxy pile....

Pencil Popper 160mm, 2oz

Jointed Piper Stick Bait

I have got some Paulownia and can't wait to give it a go, look out Carpenter!LOLLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 9:29am
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Well my mark one Rimu stick bait got smashed by a rat king on Saturday and ended up swiming away attached to the poor king.  At least I know now that they will catch real fish, not just coutta.

I had a PM asking how I put it together so I thought I'd start a bit of an information sharing approach to these things and hopefully others will share some of their methods as well.

This is mark two stick bait all decorated and needing a coat of epoxy...

The paint jobs a bit rough in places but I'm pretty happy with it considering it was my first try and its just done with a bunch of spray cans I bought at Bunnings.

These two are mark three and mark four versions.

Mark Three...

Mark Four....

Mark Four is slightly hump backed compared to three.  I didn't really plan it that way but since they are all hand carved they have each come out slightly different shapes.  It will be interesting to see which works and which doesn't.

I've been starting off with just a basic outline sketched onto a piece of wood.  Then I've cut the shape out using a jig saw, after that I map out where the holes need to be drilled and drill them.  This has been quite a tricky stage getting the holes front and back to line up.  I've decided to add wheight to the tails so I've used a much larger drill bit from the tail and this has helped with lining up with the smaller hole drilled through the nose.

I've then whittled away with a pocket knife until I get the basic shape, then wood rasp until I get good roundness and symetry of shape.  The next stage is sanding until you get an all over smoothe finish.  This is basically the stage that the two above baits are at.

The through wire construction is another tricky stage.  I got some 1.6mm stainless wire from a local engineering shop.  To bend it I've G clamped a allen key to my work bench and used vice grips to hold the wire and bend it around the key to get a basic circle.  The wire is then wrapped around itself a couple of times to finish it off.  I've also tried the bottom option of twisting the wire around itself but I'm not too sure if that will work so will probably pass on that method.

The wire passes through the nose and needs to catch the swivel that you will insert through the belly hole.

AT the tail end I then add small small ball sinkers over the protruding wire....

The mark two bait has five of these little sinkers shoved up its backside.

To finsih off the tail end I've then filled the end cavity with two part epoxy, (araldite), and capped it by using part of a pop rivet as shown here...

The wire is then finished off in pretty much the same way as you do the front end by making a circle and then wrapping the wire around itself to hold it in place, then just snip the wire off as close as you can get and file off any sharp edges.

This is how the tail end looks on mark two.

That's basically it!

These are all 190mm long, the finished mark two bait with the weights in its tail weighs in at 70g.

The only bad part about all of this is that I'm going to have to break the news to my wife that I'm going to need a Stella 20K and a popper rod for Xmas!!!

Thanks for looking

Murph
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote treedoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 9:37am
treedoc View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Love your work Murph, nice breakdown, I think there are plenty having a crack at home made poppers at the moment, great tips and ideas.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Smelly Buoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 9:41am
Smelly Buoy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice essay Murphy, thanks for sharing.
Tangled Up In Blue
"Veni, Vidi, Velcro"
I came; I saw; I stuck around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 9:54am
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Great effort there Murph and I may have to dig out some of my old woodworking tools and have a go myself
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 10:58am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Nice work MurphThumbs Up

Just a thought, to make life easier, there is a tool similar to the one in the vid made by DuBro called the E/Z Twist, Haywire twist tool.
I've got a couple of them & they are great for forming wire loops.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 10:59am
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Love those poppers - I've been thinking about making a squid jig in similar colours to the finding nemo one above. Has anyone done this? Can you get the spiky steel ends from anywhere?
"Look ahead, look astern, look to weather, look to lea
Look down along the coast of High Barbary..."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 11:11am
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

Nice work MurphThumbs Up

Just a thought, to make life easier, there is a tool similar to the one in the vid made by DuBro called the E/Z Twist, Haywire twist tool.

Sounds great, can you PM me a price please?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 11:12am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by Barbary B Barbary B wrote:

Love those poppers - I've been thinking about making a squid jig in similar colours to the finding nemo one above. Has anyone done this? Can you get the spiky steel ends from anywhere?

One option would be to rip a cheap one to bits for the spikes.
I made a few smaller wire versions doing that, ( using the tool mentioned above) so I can attach small bait fish.
There are large "squid pin jags" available ( Neptune Tackle) but they are a bit on the big size. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 11:14am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Nice work MurphThumbs Up

Um, not selling Murph, just letting you knowLOL
They are available from Cabela's I think.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 11:45am
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Nice work MurphThumbs Up

Um, not selling Murph, just letting you knowLOL
They are available from Cabela's I think.
Ahh, roger that.  I misunderstood what you meant there, I'll look them up and see what the go is.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stellajigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 9:15pm
stellajigger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wellsys Tackle has them Murph.
Shop is in Aus though
Live Bait , the Lance Armstrong of catching KINGFISH
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 10:37pm
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Looks like that tool will only do wire up to .032 of an inch, which is about half the thickness of what I want to use.  Will need to find something a bit more industrial than that I think.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 10:50pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

The larger one of the two I have is good for #14 to #20 wire.
Am not sure how that equates in lineal measurement
Page  <1234 6>