Matarangi?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1stmate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Matarangi?
    Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 3:47pm
1stmate View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Guys,
Heading up to Matarangi this weekend for a bit of R&R, and of course taking a couple rods along.
Never been fishing in the Coromandel before so was just wondering what the opportunities were like for some land based salt fly at this time of year?
Any tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Vegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 6:18pm
Vegas View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey 1stmate...  Not a dedicated salt-fly flinger myself, though have been known to dabble on the odd occasion (normally save it for the Tongariro these days).  Personally I've taken a few kahawai on the fly right down on the sandspit at Matarangi on an outgoing tide (saying that I gave it a flick with the 3kg spin gear the other day for nothing other than very cold feet).  

Other place to try is on the rocks around far end of Otama beach - drive right to the very end, park up and follow your nose...  Kahawai, snaps and the odd king, all from some very fishable ledges.  Haven't fished it for a while, but you'll need a good ole burley trail from past experience.  

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1stmate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 9:04am
1stmate View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers Vegas, Gives me somewhere to start.  Have just finished a #9 ticrx build so hanging out to pop its cherry! Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 9:19am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

There are already eel larvae running in all the rivers and streams around here. Soon there'll be lots of whitebait moving. Places like Matarangi and any other river mouth / harbour mouth in the northern zone will have their best kahawai fly fishing of the year going on very soon. July, August and September are primo months.

Try a low tide and first couple of hours at the turn as new water pushes in. Especially on those river / harbour systems that are a little bit smaller than Matarangi.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1stmate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 3:24pm
1stmate View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Craig, never given much thought to Eel larvae before, interesting.  Weather forecast doesn't look too flash for the weekend up there but thats what rain jackets are for Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 5:47pm
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The guys building the new ramp next to the wharf said the kings have been giving the bait a hiding every morning but I suspect its Kawhai myself
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1stmate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 9:27am
1stmate View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers Boulder that sounds awesome, Kahawai or King, I wont say no to either Tongue

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1stmate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 9:09am
1stmate View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Well I just got back from my wee holiday, needless to say the weather wasn't too flash on the Coromandel but I got my lazy backside out and had a few flicks anyway.
Concentrated my efforts on the estuary, where there seemed to be plague proportions of juvenile Kahawai, it amazed me how little the fish were and the size of the flies they were hitting, changing flies, lines (sink rates) and retrieves did nothing to curb their enthusiasm.  I caught maybe 15 or so kahawai that were all around the 15-20cm mark.  I persevered hoping that something larger might be lurking, but no luck there.
On my last day I fished the incoming tide and moving into the estuary following the dirty / clean water line for a couple of hours, again picking up plenty of tiny kahawai, eventually I hooked into something larger that put up a bit of a scrap, but still a kahawai of only around 40-45cm.  My last fish for the trip.
So not amazing fishing and I didn't bother taking any photos of the fish as they weren't really up to bragging rights.  But I did see a few small shoals of whitebait so I would say at a guess the fishing in the estuary will pick up very shortly.
Clousers in any size and any colour were taken with gusto.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions and this little foray has definitely whetted my appetite  for more exploring and fishing in the area.

Cheers
Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 10:56am
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds like down my end of the coro too mate, heeeeaps of kahawai around 20cms or so, must of had 30plus yesterday just couldn't dodge them. Not just clousers of any size/colour but surf candys, shrimps, crabs,hell even on a Crease Fly that Clarke gave me. Not such a bad thing for a newbie like myself but would be nice to see the backing every now and then. Most of the fish have been retrieved by just stripping them in . I'll have to get a 6wt or somethin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 5:45pm
TheBadger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice stuff Al. 
'Badger on the other hand, he's basically a bum'