YeeHaa Squid hackers Reports

Page  <1 29303132>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 3:59pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Likewise I have cabin fever.  Will try Friday evening and Sunday evening when the tides are a bit fuller.  Lost 4 jigs last session for 3 reasons - low tide combined with poor visibility, worn out braid, and 10lb fluoro trace.  Will up the trace weight to 20lbs, and the dodgy braid has all broken off.
Ordered 6 x 2.5" jigs from Wellington via Trademe for under $3 each delivered.  Didn't go for Aliexpress because their deliveries are flaky at the mo. Varies from 10 days to 2 1/2 months.  Would annoy me if I ordered jigs and they didn't arrive until November.
Also considering cheapies from Marine Deals, but haven't found the right combination for a reasonable price.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 7:55pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tried a new spot. Looked good, long fingers of rock with lots of weed between them. Clear water, little bit of current. Got a squid on my first cast, at 4.40pm on a yo zuri natural 2.5. Took a while to get my next one, 6.10pm again on the yo zuri. This one was a goody, around 700g. Then changed to a black magic orange/gold 3.0 as it got darker as the 2.5 was getting blown around on the cast too much. Got my third and final (another big one) at 6.55pm then headed home.

Keen to hit that spot again, only 15 mins away too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 11:14pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

geez that close you could just fill a squid order for dinner before the 6 o’clock news . Damn
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 7:14pm
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Couple of recent outings during level 3. Skunked one trip then following back to back trips were producing. 14 squid on Sunday and 6 last night . Really good bite lately it seems but maybe spot dependant.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 8:58pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice, Dmitriy. Good to see the master's still got it Smile
I got demoralised last year with a very poor success rate, but am getting enthusiastic again with the good reports getting posted here and full moon next week coinciding with night time high tides. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 9:10pm
Titanium
Titanium

This year has been a really good one I reckon.

I went back to that spot, got there about 5, tried a few other ledges and caught two before 5.30pm, both over 500g. Then it just died when the sun went down. Had one follow but he wouldn't commit. Stayed until the dead low then had to hit the road before the liquor store closed Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 11:23am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Go Dmitry!  You must be fishing in a parallel universe.

Friday 28/8/20 5 to 7pm

My run of skunkings continues.  Fished the Mission Bay side of the Tamaki yacht club, and a short stint on Orakei wharf with a ledger rig.  Conditions were much better than the last time I went out, with good visibility, and the spot I fished was sheltered from the wind.  I gradually worked my way along the shore from the yacht club towards Mission Bay, but only 10m at a time.  Tried about 7 different jigs from 2.0 to 3.0, starting with naturals and silvery for the brighter light and gradually changing to fluoro colours blitzed by a UV torch as it got darker.  Tried to get a nice rhythm going with the egi style, but the stiff Daiwa Laguna rod and my total lack of coordination prevented that.  I heard a couple of experienced squid fishos laughing at me at some of my clumsier efforts, but I soldiered on.  By 6:30 the tide had gone out too far and too many snags, so tried the Orakei wharf.  No bites or follows in either spot, no squid seen at all.

The things that keep me going are:
- it's great to get out into the fresh salty air
- I've watched upwards of 30 different squid hackers around me over the last few trips, and haven't seen a single squid caught, so it's not easy
- I've been ordering and receiving new jigs and other gear and it would be rude not to try the stuff out
- there are ink stains on Orakei wharf, so there must be the odd one around
- I don't mind being a laughing stock

Have watched some videos from Yama****a, and wondering whether to try a small range of their jigs, but maybe one more try with the cheapies and I'll decide.  Warm jackets for squid jigs, what next!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 4:39pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

@farquirk those cheep ones are shyyte, just get yama****a ones and be done with it, don't give yourself a disadvantage by using not as good gear, the warm jackets work 3…1 for me
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 7:11pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the kind words guys. @ Tamure Kid just keep at it, often multiple blanks are enough to make me just about to give up ha ha.

Another great outing yesterday. Fished pretty much right through outgoing untill the bite stopped as it went dark. Change of light was pretty epic to say the least. Casting size 3.0 egi into deeper water brought in a few solid ones. The squid were of good size that some of them felt like a snag. About 4-5 of them were 600-1kg. It's been awhile since I got a kilo mark one so pretty happy with that.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 8:26pm
Titanium
Titanium

Haha, now you're just rubbing salt into FQ's wounds, DV. You must be eating squid for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Brilliant work.Clap

It's interesting that you and Telecaster are both doing well late afternoon and dusk, then the action drops off. For us battlers, what do you think the reason for that is - the tides or moon phases?

One of the reasons I tried a bit of squidding when we had our littlies was that I could go out at night once they were in bed. But you're throwing a curve ball with your catches in daylight.

Looks like a beautiful part of the coast, too. Not Onehunga waterfront, that's for sure Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 9:14pm
Titanium
Titanium

The daytime thing seems to get easier later in the season. I just like the change of light and the outgoing tide. Went to Gulf Harbour this evening, caught one good size (about 500g) at around sundown, and another small one (snapper bait) at about 6.40pm.

It was pretty crowded so had to keep casting at the same spot, usually I like to spread the casts out. We tried a couple of other spots afterwards but no luck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 9:04pm
Titanium
Titanium

Another new spot this evening. This one involved a sketchy climb down a steep slippery track. Fortunately there were some ropes to help. Wanted to try this place at high tide but it isn’t really suitable as I couldn’t access any weed lines. As the tide dropped I caught one nice one, around 700g, and lost another smaller one at my feet. No more action after that, stuck it out until 8pm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 7:00pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sunday 30/8/20  4 to 7:30pm

Another zilch
- used a whippy Shimano Catana rod instead of the longer Daiwa Laguna broomstick
- jigging style definitely improved but may have not let the jigs sink enough
- fished the hour or so before full tide and same after high tide, according to a Yama****a video, ideal times
- quite good moonshine from a 3/4 moon
- the Mission Bay side of the Tamaki yacht club was reasonably sheltered from the SW wind
- water clarity was good

Worked from natural/silver colours in daylight thru to blitzed flouro after dark

Most things were lined up, but still no bites or follows.

Now that boats are OK, I'll give up on the squid.  If I try again, I'll invest in the Yama****a Live Search jigs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 11:58am
Titanium
Titanium

Geez, Geoff. You deserve a bit of luck for your meritorious efforts. I wonder if the squid are scarce in that area this year? If the regulars are struggling, maybe that's the case. 

The left hand side of the Harbour Bridge is apparently also a decent spot on our side of the bridge, though exposed to westerlies.

Ironically, getting back in the boat might be your best shot - take a squid jig with you at change of light, particularly in that Takapuna cliffs area or just up past the Takapuna boat ramp, which is a very popular land-based spot for squid when it's a westerly.I've seen a photo of Snap (Nik) with a freshly caught squid at Takapuna cliffs. Perfect rocky, weedy squid country.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 2:10pm
Titanium
Titanium

Went out after dinner to catch the high tide yesterday. Caught one around 500g on my third cast, then cast for an hour before relocating to Gulf Harbour. Unfortunately the SW had stirred it up too much and there was a lot of debris in the water, and no squid. I cast closer and closer to the breakwall and eventually lost 2 jigs in short order before heading home.

Popped into Yeehaa today for a couple of new ones, probably my last jig purchase for the year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 4:40pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Here are some of the jigs I used during my last failed session:

Some of them may have come from YeeHaa.  So long ago, I can't remember.  Quite a few came from Marine Deals.

Here are the cheapies ($2 each + shipping from TradeMe)

They light up really well with a UV torch, and it's always good to have a few 2.0 jigs.  They dive downwards at about the right angle, but when they touch the bottom, the hooks touch down too, a recipe for snags.  The hook set is too heavy for the rest of the lure.  I'll use them occasionally but keep them away from rocky, weedy places.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 6:28pm
Titanium
Titanium

Some good colours there, I think you’ve just been unlucky. Welcome to join me one evening on the last of the outgoing, if you’re up for a drive.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 9:37pm
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 8:08am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

👍 Nice 👍
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 7:50pm
Platinum
Platinum

Another over 1kg donkey last night. Went 1.2 on the scales. It's been good season for big models

Page  <1 29303132>