Tauranga fishing help

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 13ft Fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tauranga fishing help
    Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 9:33pm
13ft Fisho View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've recently purchased my first boat, a 13ft aluminium with a 30hp yamaha on the back.  Have been out a number of times around tauranga harbour and out a little furthur eg along matakana, rabbit island but have not had any luck with anything other than kahawai. Iv tried straylining, flasher rigs and softbaiting but no joy. Wondering if anyone has any ideas of where to go or where is currently fishing well. Any help will be much appreciated!!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tga fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 11:22am
tga fisher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Tough this time of year inside the harbour. Best months in the harbour seem to be Feb - May. Often see a number of boats straight out from the entrance at 3mile and 5mile reefs which apparently fish well. I tend to head left (Matakana) or right (Papamoa) and tend to drift in the 15m to 20m depth and softbait for snapper but also have a baited ledger rig on the bottom at this time of year as there should be a number of gurnard around

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 13ft Fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 10:17am
Silver
Silver

Great, thanks Tga Fisher. May sound a little silly, but what is the best size hook to use for gurnard?
Currently use 5/0 on a 2 hook flasher (recurve hooks). Should i go smaller or is that size alright? Any particular bait better than others, generally use calamari squid or bonito but am happy to try other types out. Is it better to use a Sea Anchor to drift or is that not essential?
Will hopefully be going out on Friday, weather dependent. Seems to be a good day so i will let you know then of how i get on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 8:06pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

A bit late getting back to you, my apologies, 4/0 or 5/0 are perfect for gurnard. I prefer to fish for them from an anchored boat. Squid isnt my favourite bait for gurnard but mullet and skipjack (bonito) are.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ancient mariner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 8:39pm
ancient mariner View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

And get a hold of Uncle, he is local and has the best flasher rigs for gurnard!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MO8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 8:52pm
MO8 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

My own experience lately has been hard fishing, and most others I've spoken to say the same. I've been reliably informed that the best area is in about 20m off either Matakana or down Papamoa way.I intend to find out tomorrow.
This will give you some idea of the number of spots within close reach of the Tauranga Harbour. I'd give you the GPS coordinates but since my chartplotter has had a new brain installed I'm having to go re find them all myself.
Most of them are well known to Tauranga Fisho's so there are no secrets. I tend not to go to spots that have lots of boats around, too much noise and too many sounders left on when fishing. Persevere and learn something form each trip and it will all come together for you. All the best.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote unlimited Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 10:44am
unlimited View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

could be worth having a go of pap beach could launch of the beach or shoot out of the cut,have a mate that had a good snappa fish with soft baits in realy close, the knoll is not that far from out from there as well just pick your day with the weather

good luck

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 5:51pm
DIY! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think fishing 30 metres it worth a look, spent the day checking for sign and found very little from 17 - 26 metres from Matakana banks down past Karewa Island.
http://www.actionstations.co.nz

Berkley 2009 and 2010 S/B champ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 8:48pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey 13ft,

If you're fishing around the '3 mile' as mentioned earlier, try small hooks - like 1/0 or 2/0 as this will help you catch terakihi if they are there. Shellfish, or squid are perfect for the terakihi, and will catch others if there. Using the small hooks its enivitable that you'll end up catching a few real small snaps, but sometimes thats just the way it is...

I know its a whole lot further to run, but by getting down pap beach, nearly as far as the domain (big stand of pines as a landmark) will really help you success rate. Rabbit is a tough place for anyone to catch a feed, let alone someone new to the area / fishing!

For fishing all pap or matakana, use your sounder. Move around, check out different depths until you consistantly see 'sign'. Don't bother stopping for the first tiny bit you see, hunt them out, they're there and you just gotta find the right depth. Some days they'll be in 10m, others 25m. And as a hot tip, in the warmer months get in even closer along matakana on the change of light with floating baits... wicked...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 13ft Fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 11:06pm
Silver
Silver

Thanks for all your information guys, been out a couple of times since the post. First time, 2 good sized gurnard and a 1kg snapper, mint day, fishing was a bit slow but was fantastic out there.
Also, went out yesterday and nothing, not even a bite. But didnt mind as much bcoz it was a beautiful day again. Will try some of the spots that have been mentioned and will let you know of the progress!!! May be a bit hard in getting out to some of those spots as only a 13ft boat but as soon as there is a perfect day i will be heading out. Am not too sure on where abouts 3 mile and some of those spots are as i do not have a gps, just a standard depth/fish sounder. Maybe one day if someones keen i could tag along to learn a few things as i am a very keen learner. Either take my boat as well and follow people out or jump aboard someones. Obviously i will pay my own way and bring own gear. If anyone is happy for me to do that PM me and we can sort something out. Would be great to learn a few more things.
Thanks for all your help once again. Keep it coming if theres any more!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote riga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 4:42pm
riga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would be another to suggest heading down papamoa way, we have had some good results down there lately, if drifting a sea anchor is essential unless there is no wind, for gurnard I have found sharp hooks as close to the sinker as possible work well as gurnard feed hard on the bottom and have a pretty hard top lip to penetrate.  If its a bit far to run down to papamoa or the weather isnt that great then try the outer edges of the 3 mile etc where there are a few less boats.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tga fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 8:58am
tga fisher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi 13ft fisho. At least you are out there doing it. Should be more and more gurnard around over the sand. From what I've heard fishing has been a bit hit and miss lately - some pretty good days and some very tough days from all accounts. I agree with riga regarding the gurnard. I like to use a modified 2 hook ledger rig where I put the sinker where the bottom hook would normally go and trail a bait along the bottom where the sinker would normally be.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mackem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 7:08pm
mackem View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

13ft fisho , have you got a copy of the fish a-plenty mag , it shows how to spot 3 mile, 5mile and various other spots using landmarks ' for those who don't have a gps' , I have a older copy at home , you can send me a pm with your email address on and I will scan and send them to you if you want .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 13ft Fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 5:04pm
Silver
Silver

Hi guys, thanks to everyone for their help. Well i should probably let you know how i got on. Though i would post it here so all the people that helped me out can have a look first. Presume i post on different section from now on. Anywho.....Managed to shoot out a couple of times since mackems last post. Thanks for the scanned pictures by the way, much appreciated. First time, 1 snapper, 2 gurnard, plenty of bites but nothing striking, presume small snapper???
2nd time, friday 23/7. After sorting out the wee one (a proud new dad) i managed to shoot out for a few hours, headed out about 600 odd metres past A buoy, threw a berley on the anchor and set up camp for a few hours. 15+ snapper later, all about 22cm (very frustrating Angry) and half a dozen small cod i hooked into a decent fish. Had a flasher rig on the bottom and all of a sudden rod bent in half, new all of sudden it was a heavy fish, first thoughts was shark but after a few 20-30 metre runs, a slight tangle round the anchor and a 10minute fight i finally caught a glimpse and to my pleasant suprise a kingfish showed, after a struggle with my net, way to small for a kingfish i managed to grab the tail and get it on board, only 77cm long but a very fat girl, obviously enjoys a few pies!!! A quick kiss and release and away she swam. A few more small snapper and a nice big fat blue cod (only thing actually big enough to take home) and i shot off home. Not a great amount of fish to take home but a fun trip all the same, at least i was catching fish whether small or big. Hopefully next time will be taking a few more home! Smile
Once again, thanks all for your help. My fishing has only improved which is great.