Force Outboards

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BuzzyBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Force Outboards
    Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 11:19am
BuzzyBee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi guys, Kinda new to this forum, and was after a bit of advice on Force outboards.  Am currently looking at a Bayliner 1802 with a Force 120 on it.  Dont know much at all about these motors except that they were meant to be low cost models ? Formally known as Chryslers ? or So im told..  Has anyone had one or had and experiences with them? Reliabilty and performance?  and just generally if they are good outboards of just to steer away from them? Any comments greatly appreciated thanks :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 11:25am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I am sure the mechanics will turn up soon and give their opinions
Mine, steer clear, they did not take off, not many still around, what does that tell you?
There are heaps of old merc and omc motors around still going strong.
If you really like the boat, I would factor in to the equation, the possibility that it wont last and you may have to repower. Def get an auxiliary.
Dont think they were chryslers.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 11:53am
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My understanding was that Force outboards were all premix oil which would be a hassle. I could be mis-informed though

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 12:41pm
RC1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yes they are chryslers with electronic ignition and yes they are premix, the 120 wasn't a good engine and do not last very long, the smaller forces were ok, if you like the boat you will have to look at repowering.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Outboard Performance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 5:38pm
Outboard Performance View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

FORCE - F****d Old Reconditioned Chrysler Engine Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 6:15pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Whilst on the subject - what were Stingers?

Remeber them?  The orange ones
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 7:05pm
Reel Time View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I had a 1995 90 hp on my boat when i bought it... never trusted it one bit.. let me down to many times so i just flicked it on trade me and repowered.. used sh*t loads of fuel + oil.. if you can get the boat 4 the right price?? maybe think of a repower in a year or 2... they have no resale value either. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 7:58pm
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Unclejake Unclejake wrote:

Whilst on the subject - what were Stingers?

Remeber them?  The orange ones

Weren't the Stingers tweaked up Johnsons while the Chargers tweaked up Chryslers?

Who remembers the water ski show at the Greenlane boat show being sponsored by Chrysler? Now I'm showing my age
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 8:05pm
RC1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Stingers were Johnson 70hp engines painted orange and were rated at 75hp I think, yes the chryslers were chargers with colourful stripes on the engine cowling
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Breakaway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 9:51pm
Breakaway View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Got a mate who is also a outboard mechanic. One of the first thing she told me was that Force were horrible and a lot of outboard mechanics would not work on them.

Best thing would be get an independent check done on motor before parting with cash, never know you could have struck gold or a pile of %$^%.  Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 8:03am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Would you trust your life to a Force? Never mate. OK if you're only going to be using it for skiing on hydro lakes where slowly drifting to a nice sandy shoreline is not a problem.... but I personally would never trust one to get me home if I were out wide and the wind was rising.
Real hard to get parts, and those would be second hand.
Resale value... nil, or as close to nil as to make no difference.
If you like the boat, ask the dude if he'd sell Hull Only, and let him see if he can flick off the motor himself! :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BuzzyBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 5:22pm
BuzzyBee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey thanks all, capt asp : by the sounds of it ,he wont have much luck selling it anywhere especially on here Smile  Hav decided, not to go ahead with the boat in the end, thanks guys.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 4:49pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Force is a Chrysler derivative, two fellas I know had them, they had no probs, so like the Chryslers you either got a goodee or one that wooden work... Chrysler did have there shockers, anyway being yankee motors here is some info on them...

Chrysler sold the engine line to Bayliner, who I believe are the ones who gave it the Force name. They wanted low cost engines to factory rig their boats, perhaps an idea of ahead of it's time.
Then, when Brunswick purchased Bayliner, these probably unwanted, and mostly obsolete, engines came with the deal.
Mercury decided to spruce them up and improve them, with Mercury gear cases/props, CD ignition systems, etc., and market them as 2nd tier engines. I understand, they were actually pretty good, but not really hot performers and with a second tier, "cheapout" image for the owners. The situation spooked Yamaha and OMC enough that they downgraded their own lines, removing oil injection and other items, so they, too, would have a second tier line. OMC called them the "Special" engines, with odd ball HP number to set them apart. Yamaha had a designation for theirs also. As clean technology became mandated, this engine had to die, so Mercury dumped it in favor of putting Merc engine son Bayliners, and all their other brands also.

Look at it as an economical motor, without much re-sale value. But it will get you around
The FORCE brand name has been abandoned. This, in itself, is an indicator of the general public opinion of the engines. If the brand carried any particular special attraction, I don't think the manufacturer would have dropped it.
The FORCE brand now seems to carry a negative connotation. Whether that is completely deserved or not is a matter for a good debate. As LHG chronicled, the engines were always positioned as a low-cost alternative.
When considering purchase of a used FORCE engine, in addition to all the usual cautions, you should consider the generally lower value given to these products by most boaters.
A little known fact. When U.S. Marine needed a new moniker for its new line of outboards, it was decided that "FORCE" was an easy abbreviation for:
"F[reak]ing Old Rebuilt Chrysler Engine"
And there you have the history of FORCE.
And yes, the 5 cylinder 150s with the broken crankshafts and occassional frisby flywheel where ahead of their time.
RIP Force.
Worked for a Bayliner dealer 2 summers ago. We took in trade MANY Bayliner packages from back in the 80's that still had their original Force engines running in excellent condition, and these were from back in the Chrysler/Force days. I worked part-time at a FORCE outboard dealer in c.1985 when I was in college. The dealer sold them with his Maxim boat line (top-shelf Bayliners). My job was to set the boats up. We sold a lot of 17', 20' and 23' MAXIM boats which came with either 85 or125 Force outboard motors or 3.0- or 5.0-liter MerCruiser sterndrive motors. Most of the boats we sold were sterndrives, but the 85 and 125 outboard motors that went out the door never seemed to come back. Most of our clients were boaters on a freshwater lake, so maybe that had something to do with it. I do remember these US Marine Force outboards being easy to install and set up. The F-5 150 was announced just before I left, but I never saw hardly any of those motors out in the field.

I guess there'll always be engine badge bigots.... I've owned Merc, Yamaha, Evinrude and a bunch of others. My '92 Montauk, which I bought new in 92, came unrigged. I didn't hesitate to put a "Force by Mercury" 90 on it. First major point was the over $1000 I saved on an engine. That engine gave me 4-1/2 years of flawless performance - averaging 100-200 hours per year. Never needed a single part or service call. The buyer I sold it to is STILL running that motor and has had no malfunctions whatsoever. I got a lot of static about this observation, but I'll repeat it regardless. I met up with another '90's Montauk with a major brand-name 90 on it, and we had a run-off on the St. Croix River. Essentially the same loads on both boats. I ran his flippers off. In 1/2 mile, he was a little more than 900 feet astern... Engine weight may have been a factor, since my Force had no oil injection system, but I'd put that motor against any 90 of its era. I understood that essentially the only original Force components were the main block/powerhead - the rest was Mercury.

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seadoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 9:19am
Seadoc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Very interesting and thought provoking post Catchelot! I think many of us are guilty in slating and stereotyping  products we do not know well enough to comment on!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brooook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 9:34am
Brooook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Lada of outboards? LOL
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.............Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 9:58am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Seadoc Seadoc wrote:

Very interesting and thought provoking post Catchelot! I think many of us are guilty in slating and stereotyping  products we do not know well enough to comment on!

Exactly Seadoc, they weren't all bad... Chryslers were very popular here in 70's but you either got a goodie or a pig.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seadoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 12:58pm
Seadoc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

They were popular in SA too. My uncle  had a 55hp Chrysler and we did a lot of skiing behind it. I recall him telling us Mercs were high speed racing engines and Chryslers workhorses! (we had a Merc of course)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote davethefisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 7:21am
davethefisho View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

ive just sold my little seanymph and that had a 35hp chrysler on the back of it. I cannot say enough about this old motor, always took us out, always got us back. had it for 4 years and only broke down once due to a fuel problem not the motor. I guess its more that if the motor has been looked after, it will look after you. Id buy another chrysler in a heartbeat.
A true warrior does not fight because he hates what is in front of him, A true warrior will fight because he loves what is behind him.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JasonEdward62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 1:28pm
JasonEdward62 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone know anything about the Force 25 hp engine? Any good?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cressie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 9:05am
cressie View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

i had a force 25 hp ,3cylinder motor ,long shaft ,i found it very reliable and smooth running . the problem is parts are almost impossible to get. i found out the hard way ,took the head of to de salt water channels.......gaskets impossible to get ,had to sell motor for parts