Furuno FCV-620 Screen Shots

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Furuno FCV-620 Screen Shots
    Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 11:39am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just a few screen shots some of you may be interested in from the FCV-620. Woke up this morning, looked out the window to 5 knots variable and flat Evans Bay, not the 30 knots SE the F^&*%$n useless Met Service forecast. So popped out for a few hours in the harbour, was back in by 9.30am having only fished for 45 mins! (Sorry Bill, didn't want to ring Dougal at 6.30am!)

The 620 really is good at picking out traditionally hard fish like Tarakihi (The Lowrance really struggled here) they show up as tight bunched vertical lines usually in BL mode, but managed to find a pod instantly on bottom-lock over the sand and proceeded to land over 20 in short succession, keeping 10, there were some very large fish hanging round the numerous bait schools... here's a few shots from this morning taken from iPhone.

Kahawai and baitfish everywhere, can see my line descending into the bait with a jig, hoping to nail that BIG individual target at 40ft.

Picking up lots of Tarakihi on the bottom (bottom lock on left screen), one coming up only to get nailed by a couta or kingie you can see hitting it at 40ft. baitfish were numerous, caught heaps of large Jack Mackerel, there were some very large fish showing, most likely spooky kingies.

More big fish (likely kingies again) skirting the Kahawai schools, threw a livie down to no avail, water temp was a lousy 14deg.

Some large fish and baitfish hard on the bottom over structure, I did hook the fish on the left on a small Jack Mack livie only to be toasted into the foul big time on 24kg!!!

Tarakihi holding hard on the bottom in bottom lock mode, bottom lock is invaluable for these fish or using manual shift and gain.

The "South Sea" some promising looking sign and bait blobs hanging around, and a favourite blob of foul near the heads showing fish schooling over the structure.

More Tarakihi and bait hard on the bottom, landed a couple of smallish Trevally from this sign as well.

Very happy with the Furuno, already eyeing up the 585 for the increased resolution! Absolutley no doubt the Furuno shows Tarakihi better than the many Lowrance I have had (although miss that gorgeous 480x480 pixel screen!). These are all relatively shallow shots for the FCV-620, but it seems to perform admirably, great to have a manual gain control knob again. Hope these will be useful to some of you.

https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MR D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 11:54am
MR D View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice thanks, I know what you mean with lowrance the other day was catching snapper on soft baits in 20-30m water and nothing at all on the screen.
One day I hope i can get a Furuno 585
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 12:02pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

they top sounders these furunos mate wouldnt have anything else may cost abit but when your hookin up the cost goes out the window ,id be lost without mine,what tranny you running they hum with the 1kw awersome setup,,great pics,,,,got some mates running the lowrance hd models and they dont work like these do no comparison
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 12:07pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just the standard 600w 525-PWD Airmar blackboat, toyed with the 1kw but am mostly harbour and coastal fishing and it would sink the stearn of the wee stabi 4m! As it is with the standard TD/x I can pickup a second echo return of China on full gain! Most impressed compared to the Lowrance, not that they are bad, but these are that much better at getting a true reading of what is down there. still running a Lowrance chartplotter though alongside as they are still the best in chartplotters I reckon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 12:16pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah think the furuno plotting is lacking here and there but fishfinding they are the top dog,,im running the gp7000nf unit with the 1kw ducer and it has improved my fishing out of this world wonder how i ever did without it,its quite amazing how over time you can tell the different species down there just by whats on screen ,those longish red snake lines will be kings feeding off the bait ,bottom lock is a great tool flatten the bottom out every above is fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 7:08pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by hardingofwellies hardingofwellies wrote:

Just the standard 600w 525-PWD Airmar blackboat, toyed with the 1kw but am mostly harbour and coastal fishing and it would sink the stearn of the wee stabi 4m! 

HoW, I am running a P66 Airmar on the back of my 4m Stabi. It stands out like the proverbial dogs bollix and I shudder every time it drops off the trailer and there is a bit of a surge.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 7:18pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hardingofwellies, we need to talk! great shots mate, thanks for taking the time to take them. any taken at 'the wreck' in the harbour?Tongue I've made my mind up. 620 it isThumbs Up

do you always have it on imperial?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 7:22pm
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Some great shots there H wish mine was as good, mine can be showing nothing but still catching fish
Thanks for sharing
If only I could fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 7:27pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yip, they are a pretty big unit for just a 600w Keith, I have had an issue where mine pops out of the quick release when in the rough, a self-tapper fixed that. Does yours do the same?

Whipped over the wreck Prosport for a look - that is the second to last shot, but usually mostly smallish terrys there around 26-28cm. Just used to working in feet, and stuck with it from years ago, just like I use pounds when trout fishing... just sounds bigger to me! Read your post on fishing today with Alan, sounds like you had a pearler on snaps, good stuff.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 8:02pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good on yer H.O.W. and people think there's no fish in the harbour and travel 12 k's to get out of it.LOL. thanks for the shots again, been after some for the HDS5, not too bothered now!

noice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rig63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 10:32am
Rig63 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

HoW - awesome - many thanks for posting - confirms what Ginge has been saying!!  Did you rig it up yourself?  I agree with ProSport - 620 is way ahead (you serious abou the 585?!).  ProSport - discount for two??
Also - off topic - can't find on google those bermuda rod holders you have at the back of your stabi - can you please post a link or simimlar if poss?? In Seatoun if chance exist to pop around for a look at the rod holder setup - have fitted rocket launcher on bimini top on Mac now need to sort out something at rear (but dont want to move fuel tanks to rear as you did with your earlier Mac centre console)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CEEBEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 11:16am
CEEBEE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ruddy awesome pics thanx amillion.
I STARTED THE DAY WITH NO FISH AND I STILL HAVE PLENTY LEFT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 11:57am
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We really like our HDS5 for diving, but I don't think we have ever seen a fish on it.

Amazing shots HoW. Stunning
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Falco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 1:09pm
Falco View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice,nothing like KNOWING what is on the bottom,as has been said FURUNO for sounding Lowrance for plotting.
as dead as dead is
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 4:39pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Would be intersting to get some other sounders out there to see side by side. Always keen to find the best kit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 5:18pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Rig63 Rig63 wrote:

HoW - awesome - many thanks for posting - confirms what Ginge has been saying!!  Did you rig it up yourself?  I agree with ProSport - 620 is way ahead (you serious abou the 585?!).  ProSport - discount for two??

Piece of cake to install, no drama's at all, sorry Richy, did a measurement this afternoon in lieu of looking at a 585 possibly and there is no way it will fit under the windscreen, so stuck with the 620, not that that's a bad thing!

The link to the Bermuda, 3-ways is here:

http://www.santmarine.com.au/store/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=groll6cdau447pog7vq7c75qt4

Sant Marine do them Rig, owned by mercury from memory, they look flimsy but have proven to be exceptionally durable over 3 years. Repco were selling them for a while and have seen at Boat City and I think even Ginge had them for a while too, they are cheaper in Aussie if you get over there often, saw them in BCF on special in Brisbane for $35 each side at xmas. I fitted an extra holder each side from one I got from the Repco bargain bin, no probs, will PM you to catch up.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rig63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 8:27pm
Rig63 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 4:38pm
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I want one and think it will become need after the May pay run, what plotter to run with it on a small boat? HDS5M?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 6:23pm
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just got one great picture and still clear doing 30mph. Have got to get use to setting it up right as so many functions on it and different levels but a great set up.
If only I could fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hamish_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 10:41am
Hamish_S View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thats wicked! i have a raymarine a57d and dont ever get detail  like that, im sure its the settings etc
Page  123 4>