Keep your pc running sweet

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keep your pc running sweet
    Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 9:44pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

This was posted in the Captain Morga Briny Bar by Catchelot & at Ancient Mariners request, has been duplicated here for easy access.
I for one go through this procedure a couple of times a month & it really does speed things up.

thanks AlClap
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok this is for Windows XP. Firstly open My Computer, right mouse click on the C drive and select Properties and then Select Disk Cleanup...allow it to calculate and scan, could take a while... you will then be presented with a list, tick the lot and then click ok so the system will delete the lot...this may take a while.

Then open C drive, open Windows and open Temp, select all or go Control A and then delete the lot, one or two files may not delete as these are performance monitors that load at startup, so delete all except those one or two.

Then go Start and click Run and type in %temp% and select all of those and delete all of those.

If you are a heavy Internet browser, not just Fishnet, and you don't mind deleting your internet history then do this in Internet Explorer. Click Tools and then select Delete Browsing History, tick all of the boxes and then select delete. (don't tell your kids this if you want to check their history...as a good parent does)
If you are using Mozilla Firefox then select Tools and Clear Private Data after ticking the boxes.

Next open My Computer again, right mouse on the C drive and select Properties again and select the Tools tab and then select Defragment and click the defragment button within that window. Again this may take a while so set it off and walk away could even take half an hour.

Next go Start and Run and type in PREFETCH, select all and delete, this is a list of just about every program you have used and have run up, the system remembers them to make starting them faster but you don't need it each time the machine runs up.

Next go Start and Run and type in MSCONFIG and press enter, then select the startup tab and then  choose Selective Startup. You will then will see a list of all the programs that automatically start every time the computer runs up. A small warning you need to have a general understanding of what you are looking at and what things are, eg printers, printer software, scanners, digital cameras, Quicktime and things like that, stuff that you do not want to start everytime the machine runs up. This is why after installing new devices, like printers and cameras the computer gets slower, the same with some new applications and programs.
Ok once you have unticked what you do not want to start you will have to reboot for those settings to take place. But if you are unsure and in doubt, just back out and perhaps ask.

Esets NOD32 and SmartSuite is one of the superior Virus scanners that don't bog your machine down and drain system resources. Older scanners like Nortons Anti-Virus are absolute dogs and will slow everything down.

So there is a few simple tips to help keep your machine optimised and running efficiently. Do the Diskclean, Defrag and Temp deletes about fortnightly to monthly if you are keen.

Hope that helps...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ancient mariner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 10:12pm
ancient mariner View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ok guys, gonna add the relevant stuff from other thread that may help people, as hopefully this becomes a sticky.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

This is a handy tool for nwbs .
You don't need to go through a lengthy defrag, it wont speed up your computer...only do that if your deleting a heap of stuff all the time, once a year is good enough IMO.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ancient mariner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 10:13pm
Platinum
Platinum

I'm running that dog of a system Windows Vista Home Edition on my laptop and have religiously been doing all of the tricks suggested by Catchelot, plus a few others to try to keep my system running at any sort of speed. I also use the CCleaner program [CrapCleaner] at least once a week. But I have still been having issues with my laptop 'freezing' and the only way around this has been to reboot (restart) it.
I have just about been ready to kick my laptop to touch as I am that peed off with it....
Over the past couple of days I have been surfing the net to see if there was anything else I could do to speed up my system and I came across the following article:
http://www.itechmax.com/2008/07/05/tips-on-how-to-speed-up-windows-vista/
I have implemented all of the suggestions in this article and have already seen a marked improvement. Just hope it continues...
My next step is to go and buy additional memory capacity.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ancient mariner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 10:15pm
Platinum
Platinum

Try the Kaspersky system 2009.Quickens your computer remarkably.Not too expensive as well and can be trialled first.Always beware of the free stuff.It's too good to be true.Remember there's no such thing as a free lunch lol

Guys look up JK defrag it is a great defrager that optimizes and sorts out unused files on the hard drive, takes a while to do the biz but is very very good.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 10:39pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Get that vermin Vista off your system mate. Bloody crappiest system I have ever used on a PC. Windows 7 is much less of a pig on your system. Microsoft should give all Vista users a free upgrade to Windows 7!
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 8:13am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Finatic Finatic wrote:

Get that vermin Vista off your system mate. Bloody crappiest system I have ever used on a PC. Windows 7 is much less of a pig on your system. Microsoft should give all Vista users a free upgrade to Windows 7!

Very true well said Si, Brian extra RAM will help your laptop issues get as much as you can afford.
Also have a tweak and shutdown all the unecessary start up items.

Oh and wear a condom when you are staring at those naughty boys sitesLOL
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 10:09am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

LOL
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2010 at 5:59pm
pure--lure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You could also look into msconfig this info is okay for basic use but to anyboady running vista I would seriously look at downgrading to 2000 or xp or up to win7
http://www.facebook.com/groups/hibiscus.coast.fishing/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jaypeegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 9:55pm
jaypeegee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

For what it's worth I work in a shop with about 1500 Desktops and laptops, as such I am qualified to, well pretty much nothing, except yearn to fish ...

My observations are thus: More ram is better. Note however. If you have a 32Bit system you wont get more than 3.5 Gb utilised (Even if its likely to be cheaper buying 2 matched 2 Gb sticks)

This holds true for W2k through to W7

Ccleaner, Regboost etc etc will return your machine back (or close to) it's original speed. Well,at least it's potential potentially. Any observations that it goes faster are also an admission it is running piglike to start with. Having said that; Ccleaner is pretty good.especially when the add/remove programs cpl is failing to assist.

Windows session freezing? Right click on the menubar or CTRL_ALT_DELETE and select the task manager. Sort by memory and reference against the google. Bear in mind that the security industry is getting pretty big and subsequently there is a bunch of scare mongering. Always double double check. Before deleting things or believing that the process is a virus.

Malwarebytes is a free and effective virus scanner. Works well. First go to if I suspect something has snuck by the bigger guys.

If your PC freezes regularly go to My Computer ->Right Click and select manage - go to event viewer and sniff through the logs. Anything red and recurrent, Look into it.

Finally: prior to biting the bullet and rebuilding the PC. If its slow as **** you can always try and create another profile . You'd be amazed at what issues this gets you around. Again go to My Computer ->Right Click and select manage->Go to Local Users and Groups Right Click on Users and select new.

Hell there is always ubuntu if it turns out to be too painful.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 8:49am
Titanium
Titanium

not another linux user Stern Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jaypeegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 9:24pm
jaypeegee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nope
Used MINT, UBUNTU, OSX liked em, But not that much to swap.
My bread and butter is the windows world
Dont see the point in faffing round with owt else
The ubuntu line was more of a joke

One thing i would suggest if you are not shy of the effort is looking into some of the modded-for-speed flavours the eXP tiny and micro type OS'es.

But That isnt the spirit of this post if I'm not mistaken.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 7:40am
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

lol just seen this thread...

Ok some suggestions on why laps, comps run slow. If you have done all the cleaning, tweeks etc & no noticable diff... Then
 it maybe over heating, check your fans are they working, clean out in & out all dust build up. over heating will freeze your comp as well.
for laps, maybe get one of those pads that have fans built in, your lap sits on it.
A faulty motherboard can slow your comp down as well...
taking the side cover off & leaving it off can help over heating issues.

Hint: Quad core systems WILL need better cooling than just fans.
more ram can help but check if your comp will handle it, same as upgrading the processor.

Nortons is a dog on systems running XP, Eset Nod32 heaps better...

sure there are a few IT guys/gals on here that can/may look at your comp just ask... no not me!
these are just things I've picked up over the years & bending the ears of some IT guysLOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jaypeegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 7:39am
jaypeegee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just stumbled on this.
As much as I abhor these sort of pages I thought it might still bring benefit of some sort to the community

As always Tread softly

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 6:20pm
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah love linux mint
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jaypeegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 5:57pm
jaypeegee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah the various flavours of *nix generally are sweet

But the change in mindset from M$ to NIX catches a bunch of people out

If you want to persevere then its great, But only if you persevere
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 5:03pm
Titanium
Titanium

All my networking/server related stuff is done in  Linux find it much better than windows but for general use I love my Win7 setup its a biatch with SMB shares but works okay with UPNP, I love my OSX styled FREENASHeart
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 5:04pm
Titanium
Titanium

Tiny OS Xp is good for low end hardware like p3's etc but Puppy dog linuxs beats the all running in ram a P2 can be as fast as a dual core
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote zzzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 9:55pm
zzzke View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

If you're after a good anti virus i would suggest  www.avira.com/
(Just get the free version)

Originally posted by Finatic Finatic wrote:

Vista is just disgusting, I just stayed with XP Pro 64 until I got Win 7
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 4:08pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Catchelot ( Al ) any chance of a W7 version to help keep these infernal beasts under some sort of control?
The XP version was great but with a new PC loaded with Windows 7, it's back to square 1 for meConfused
cheers,
BBig smile 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 4:36pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Uninstall Windows 7 and install XP in its place
Page  123 4>