Keep your pc running sweet

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 3:27pm
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by ancient mariner ancient mariner wrote:

24 inch would suggest a 1920 x 1080 res.
you could build a whole new system for around 1200 to 1500 mark and it would kill what you have now.
Check out tomshardware.com as they have some great articles on getting best bang for buck.
Most common mistake is getting more than you need.
4gb graphics card waste of time, the memory is useful if you going larger or more screens or higher resolution.
2gb would be plenty for your needs.

2GB should be more than enough..

Thx yeah will browse that hardware...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 8:24pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Ole gurl is starting to gooooo, now. Mind you it doe's run practicly 24/7...
Computers are like cars, they need a good clean out with a vaccuum a wash , oil change and grease
All the computers in my office run 24/7....including my servers .. I run my own 'cloud', web  mail ftp servers.
The one Im on at the moment, I built as a gaming machine around 2002....now general office and runs the CCTV in the background and file server.. also runs my garmin maps opencpn etc
The email client machine is a gaming machine then a internet gaming server I built in 1998..
P3 bit slow now for anything other than email .. but reliable
The 'cloud' web / mail ftp etc is another gaming machine I built in 2003.
Then there is the old laptop I have in the garage.. general surfing, marine maps etc.. on a shelf under the bench and a std keyboard/ mouse and LED montor

All get around a 6 month clean up .. heat sinks etc, files / reg files clean up etc

Based on your description your problem is no more than needs a damn good clean out and service
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 9:15pm
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dammit you spoiling my "need a new one" excuse LOL Steps...

Ok so who can service it...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 3:08am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

build a new one,my son built one for gaming,using pbtech parts for 700 hundred and sold it for 18hundred.clever bugger for 14.now building another.way beyond my capabilities
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 9:41am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Building a PC is basic stuff... BUT one needs to know what mother boards are long term reliable, as with video cards etc (if high end video use.. ie video editing , magazine publishing , gaming etc.. this comes down to experience)
It has been very difficult in resent yrs to be able to 'home build' quality units at competitive costs compared to many reliable brands for basic office use and high end stuff.... Since the advent of the P4 and relibity (espec in the condessor manfacture) and international stiff competition creating cut throught , low mark up pricing.
Also makes carrying of warranties etc difficult in more ways than 1....
Something that the small private builder usually comes a bad cropper on.
If one is importing and buying in their own components at good wholesale prices in quantities, and has a big enough turnover.. even then its not uncommon that in the last 10yrs smaller operators end up going into liquidation.
It is because of these reasons I have not built a custom machine since the early P4 days...other than for myself.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eynon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 10:01pm
eynon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

air compressor pretty good for getting the dust out of heatsinks, make sure to hold the fans with a screw driver or something otherwise you'll wreck them and uh unplug the power before doing it.

a large build up of dust can mean the temps can get high enough that the computer will keep locking up/turning off after a short period of running, had that happen to my main desktop as it is sitting on the floor, took me far too long to bother to open the case up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 9:37am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

NEVER/ NEVER blow out dust from electronic stuff with a std compressor... Compressors by nature condense atmosphere humidity....which creates even even 'wetter' air, even if the holding tank is drained....this very fine humidity... if lucky not to spray actual fine droplets, on the components then creates future slow corrosion dramatically shortening the life of the unit....

Yes do not allow fans to spin up.. they create their own currents feeding back in to the circuits.

Some mother boards simply slow down a a set cpu or mother board temp, others beep, others will close down.... then others have a 2nd threshold temp. will maybe lock up or allow time to save work and close down
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 12:43pm
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OOH Dear, stupid thing got a software "issue"
Sooooo the tech told me, they backed up drive reformatted it, also said graph card needed replacing.
I acquired a 128 SSd, installed it & used the hd for storage & programs to run from. SSD just for windows. 2gb card installed as well. Comp up & running again!!

Was also told to run Microsoft Security Essentials it's free, instead of the paying for anti virus progs.

So far all good...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 12:00pm
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ok it's finally given up the ghost Motherboard gone...

Visit PB Tech   New Girl up & Running, very nice lines she has too   lol...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote DavePayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 4:51pm
DavePayne View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

On my opinion the best wat to speed up your PC it's remove old HDD and install new SDD disk, clear and easy solution. Computer starts to work like brand new, i've try this about month ago and was surprised as never before. Planed to renew mother board + cpu + flash memory, but now i don't see any common sense in this cause simple ssd is clearly enough. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BrieDenver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 7:25pm
BrieDenver View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hmm, if that's the case, I may have to switch to SDD as well then.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kritika25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 6:42pm
kritika25 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I love ubuntu for my daily work. It's fine and speed is fast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 3:00pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wish I had of seen this old post a while ago. Not being very computer savvy, I "sped up" my old laptop by hurling it off the deck onto the driveway below. On the plus side I did manage to land it between the boat and car without hitting either. Now on the new one w10 is slowing down and having occasional seizures. Have managed to close down most background apps and this has helped considerably, but what else should/could I do?
Have run the defrag as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 4:16pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Slow.. whats slow?
 programs loading 
browser loading ?
 web pages loading?

1st thing you do as uninstall all the programs you dont use
 then remove all the browser addons and plugins.
 If a std machine, remove your after market virus scanners , just go with the Microsoft mse.
 download a program called hijack this
 run the scan and kill all the start up programs , plugins etc 
 eg do you need office to run in memory when fire the machine up?  or just when you want to use word or excel?

And read my post above on blowing/ cleaning out the dust and crap from mother boards/ heat sinks etc.
 If it runs hot then the cpus automatically slow the machine down...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 4:18pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I'm pretty sure my computer guy told me NOT to defrag W10 so will be interested to hear Al's words of wisdom.

Good aiming with the laptop terra, I'd have to have a few practise shots to be that accurate LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 4:55pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

I'm pretty sure my computer guy told me NOT to defrag W10 so will be interested to hear Al's words of wisdom.

Good aiming with the laptop terra, I'd have to have a few practise shots to be that accurate LOL
Bugger ours is set weekly defragment,turn it off "Uncle"??
And yes last  week or so have been having issues slow to load etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 5:26pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

lol, don't take my word for it Paul.
I'm awaiting the pending arrival of Al to know what's whatBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 5:27pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The main issue here is that new computers may have SSD drives - solid state (electronic flash memory versus mechanical spinning drives), and these have a finite amount of writes and so defragging is not recommended for that reason. You can stil defrag but it isn't needed for SSD operation as they are fast and efficient.

If your Win10 machine is using the older SATA drives then no problem defragging is still good to do.

Try the CCleaner (crap cleaner) from piriform.org it is great at deleting temporary internet files which build up hugely over time.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 5:42pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you are not swaping in and out huge lots of data .. like many gigs a week.. turn off auto defrag.
 For a ave home  or office machine  if you a do a defrag once every 6 months manually..
 And when you do it manually it will tell you if its worth while doing, and in most case it will not.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 5:52pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Can't remember the last time I defragged a PC, This one must be 4 years old and never done it. Then again it is just for interrnet and word
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Page  <1234>