Keep your pc running sweet

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 5:59pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

Catchelot ( Al ) any chance of a W7 version to help keep these infernal beasts under some sort of control?
The XP version was great but with a new PC loaded with Windows 7, it's back to square 1 for meConfused
cheers,
BBig smile 

I will look into for you B, but I I don't like win7 much.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 6:00pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by ThomasW ThomasW wrote:

Uninstall Windows 7 and install XP in its place

x 2...regret upgrading my laptop to win7...no real advantage or bells and wistle above xp...perhaps a bit of the; if it is not broken then why try and fix it...Dead
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 5:10pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

Catchelot ( Al ) any chance of a W7 version to help keep these infernal beasts under some sort of control?
The XP version was great but with a new PC loaded with Windows 7, it's back to square 1 for meConfused
cheers,
BBig smile 

I will look into for you B, but I I don't like win7 much.

Sorry Bill I forgot about this, essentially the same instructions apply to Win 7, but download and run CC Cleaner and JK Defrag regularly will help.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ClubmanGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 5:50pm
ClubmanGT View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Microsoft also has a fairly solid security program called Security Essentials, which if you're running 7 and don't yet have is definitely worth a look. It's free and actually seems to be surprisingly good as well, which is a nice break from tradition :P
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tightlines2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 9:09pm
tightlines2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by ClubmanGT ClubmanGT wrote:

Microsoft also has a fairly solid security program called Security Essentials, which if you're running 7 and don't yet have is definitely worth a look. It's free and actually seems to be surprisingly good as well, which is a nice break from tradition :P

x2, My IT mate said not to worry about running anything else with MSE
Remember it's not the number of breaths you take that is important in life, but rather the number of times that life takes your breath away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 9:32pm
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

been awhile...

any had issues with internet explorer??

was running Firefox after IE then that went same path as IE so trying OPERA...
Wifes FB games she having to refresh page more now...

idea's??

Thx
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 10:13pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

runa scan mate I have the same, games etc lots of lookers watching you there

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 8:01am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by John_Ra John_Ra wrote:

been awhile...

idea's??

Thx

John boy try Google Chrome instead, it seems less buggy and is faster than IE.
Download and run Piriform Ccleaner and MyDefrag and run those apps to clean and tidy up your hard drive.

What anti-virus do you use?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 10:34am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If u are still running XP  u can not update IE to latest version and WILL have had issues with some web pages... this happened , from Win 3.11 to 95, 95 to 98, 98 to 98se se to xp...as each operating system reached its use by date (ended support)
Back 10+yrs ago the work around was Netscape... now its Firefox...
Firefox has been the OS we have found most customers have found the easiest to make the transition to.
Do not run or have loaded several browsers, this is where the "buggy" issues come in.. and simply uninstallingf them doesnt remove those bugs as unless u manually fully uninstall they leave stuff around in reg files and hidden files.

Comments on using more than 1 virus scanner above .. very relievent...and MSE, yes excellent workstation scanner... BUT u will notice with XP it is now red... but still works and supported with updates till mid next yr.
If u have a XP machine, chances are , like ALL the previous OS updates, may meet , min requirements to run but WILL run slow... my advice is stick with the XP till the MSE support expires, and if the machine is still running well, go to an open source scanner  (NOT the free or paid versions of nortons/ macfee/ kav etc...

Be very careful with most  automatic cleaners in armature hands.. they are a source of steady income from ppl not knowing the whys behind them... espec from those who frequent underground web sites and pirate software...
Very often fix patches for issues, only remove the active parts odf an invection in reg files etc... the only sure wayis clean , is run scans and the manually remove and re check files and reg files... often many of these areas are restricted to the normal home user and require editing in remote boot modes... off a sd  or disc to fix fully.

Computers are like a car.. they NEED service.. from cleaning reg files, files , logs, temp files thru to hardware , fans heat sinks etc...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 12:34pm
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

been awhile...

idea's??

Thx

John boy try Google Chrome instead, it seems less buggy and is faster than IE.
Download and run Piriform Ccleaner and MyDefrag and run those apps to clean and tidy up your hard drive.

What anti-virus do you use?

Changed to Kaspersky, recommended by tech guy (I know) he was doing a total reinstall of hard drive due to ??????? a couple issues he reckons lol.. didn't say what they were... But I been to him a few times.. seems a good kind so ...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 12:36pm
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Steps?? I'm using w7  XP was great ....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 12:47pm
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Blue Asparagus Blue Asparagus wrote:

runa scan mate I have the same, games etc lots of lookers watching you there

Do scans all the time
need a diff type scan like a cleaner of sorts..

Thx
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 2:03pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah mate lots out there I use one but had issues with down loading cant think of name but very popular.
I use Chrome as Teddy has said and seems ok but occasionally it runs very slow, Just brought a new Lappy and loaded windows 7 on to it and all going great.....so far
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 3:21pm
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Trying Chrome now...
at work at mo so will see when get home..

D/L'd Piriform CC  Catchelot, pro version though....... did a quick run, see when home tonite how it goe's...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 8:58pm
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Ole gurl is starting to gooooo, now. Mind you it doe's run practicly 24/7...

So Xmas pressie time recommendation's... Not looking for adequate or "it'll do" looking for speed/power etc but cheap LOL

I 7 3rd gen or their a later version or AMD ????? Processor..
2gb or a 4gb graph card type?

16gb Ram ok to run with SSD drive 240gb enough..

decent cooling bigger fans water maybe. Side covers off mine Tongue

Ohhh be a Desk Top, lappy's too small for my eye's ..

Prob don't really need the 4gb graph but way comps go it's old in a few months....

budget 3k would like some change for fishing items Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 9:17pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ohhh be a Desk Top, lappy's too small for my eye's .

You can always connect a laptop to a desktop monitor John, if screen size is an issue for you.  Been thinking of doing much the same myself actually....
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eynon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 12:26am
eynon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The Ole gurl is starting to gooooo, now. Mind you it doe's run practicly 24/7...

So Xmas pressie time recommendation's... Not looking for adequate or "it'll do" looking for speed/power etc but cheap LOL

I 7 3rd gen or their a later version or AMD ????? Processor..
2gb or a 4gb graph card type?

16gb Ram ok to run with SSD drive 240gb enough..

decent cooling bigger fans water maybe. Side covers off mine Tongue

Ohhh be a Desk Top, lappy's too small for my eye's ..

Prob don't really need the 4gb graph but way comps go it's old in a few months....

budget 3k would like some change for fishing items Big smile

build it yourself and you can do research on all the parts and get the best prices :)
check out pricespy.co.nz

honestly if your not playing heaps of 3d games going for a $80~ graphics card is probably ok
and cheaper to upgrade

and spend abit more on your keyboard like get a full size mechanical one, much nicer to type on.
and a decent mouse with a scrollwheel, and a big screen.

your gonna be spending most your time surfing the net anyway, btw ctrl and + or - change the text size in the browser :P

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ancient mariner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 1:16am
ancient mariner View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What are you using your beast for?
What screen resolution are you planning to use?
Water cooling only needed if you are looking at over locking.
Get an SSD for your OS, a corsair K70 keyboard, an Intel chip (K if over clocking), but biggest expense is your vid card.
If running 1920 x 1080 and simple gaming then a 770 is ample. if 2560 x 1440 then 290x or 980.
If running a 4k monitor then good luck ;-)
Feel free to pm me, have built a few now and in process of building another
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 1:59am
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thx for the input guys.

Olfart not a crazy idea, we hook em up to projectors at work for presentations etc.....
still contemplating that for now..

Ancient Mariner  screen res is 1680 x 1050 running an ATI Radeon HD 5670
was getting a new screen as well. 24" led....

Beast used for??  just web browsing some movie stuff a bit of photo shop stuff general use really. Nothing too hard core,  over clocking nah... fb games & yeah a few games, nothing 3D..

Current system: AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 2.80 processor
                           8 GB

came home the other day to find comp was on but no one home type thing. Not the 1st time it's happened, took a few hours to get it to run, side covers off, why the cooling question....
can't really upgrade it, without doing other parts as well, so better a new one.

usually it's pretty silent but for awhile can hear the fan getting louder...

eynon  My eye's arent that bad yet... use reading glasses. Just like seeing/looking at things on a bigger screen is all. If I could build my own yeah sure, have the mean beastie.

Still might look at getting all the parts & have them assembled by someone..

anyways

Thx guys. things to ponder over while out fishing this long weekend....  yeah rightLOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ancient mariner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 1:28pm
ancient mariner View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

24 inch would suggest a 1920 x 1080 res.
you could build a whole new system for around 1200 to 1500 mark and it would kill what you have now.
Check out tomshardware.com as they have some great articles on getting best bang for buck.
Most common mistake is getting more than you need.
4gb graphics card waste of time, the memory is useful if you going larger or more screens or higher resolution.
2gb would be plenty for your needs.
Page  <1234>