Moon

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moon
    Posted: 17 Jun 2004 at 10:57am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2004 at 11:02am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

there is a bite in the middle of the new moon somewhere but i have not figured that one out yet........ about when the moon and sun are together above.....

the more info you give me the better it will come..... so when posting a report put the date and time of the day and this will help no end........

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2004 at 12:16pm
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Lethal,i'll print  that one off, great for reference,'til my brain stores it....Jim
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2004 at 12:19pm
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Directly overhead or underfoot i think.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2004 at 2:54pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

dont get me wrong when i say these are the best times....... you still wont catch fish if they are not there...... what im trying to tell you is when they will bite the best if they are there....  you will still catch fish at the bad times of the moon... no fish is going to turn down an easy meal but dont expect them to go mad like when its the right phase of the moon......

just one other thing is if you use a fishs way of thinking in your logic like if you are a wounded fish more than likely you are going to get eaten by something..... its the real world we are talking about.... they dont go and buy their food they kill it or be killed........ so forget about Mac Donalds and Wendys and for Woody Burger King.......  

baits that look like wounded fish and are lightly weighted or are still wriggling from being caught on a Uncles Sabiki and deploy are normally the way to go at this time of moon phase to bring out those natural instincts....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Damo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2004 at 9:04am
Damo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

To catch fish you have to think like a fish. Now what was that fish thinking?

The amount of times I have gone out and struggled in the morning to find a fish on these "bad moon" times and then "lucked" into a freight late in the day or in a place that you wouldn't even stop on normally - well I lost count at 21. ( can only count to 20 but 21 if I drop the strides)

Sometimes they are just where you find them. I have a spot called "Desperation Point" and on the odd occasion it has saved the day. The only reason being that the small pocket of foul holds about 20 Snapper at the most at a certain time of the year and I have never seen anyone fish it which can make the place a good spot (at that time of year).

There is so much more to learn - why does the southerly shut down a large part of our local Snapper fishery? etc.

I reckon that every time you go fishing you are making a deposit in the bank - the fish bank that is. I should be getting a better interest rate by now!

Another storm warning for the Gulf! oh palm trees and white sandy beaches.............

Damian

www.charterconnection.co.nz
Facebook: Diversity-Fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pro Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2004 at 12:40pm
Pro Fish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Quote: Originally posted by deepsea on 18 June 2004

There is so much more to learn - why does the southerly shut down a large part of our local Snapper fishery? etc.

I reckon that every time you go fishing you are making a deposit in the bank - the fish bank that is. I should be getting a better interest rate by now!

Another storm warning for the Gulf! oh palm trees and white sandy beaches.............

Damian

Well said!

Southerlies are the surest sign round here when fishing is gunna be hard. After the last 2 weekends we've hung up the rods for June round tiri / waiheke!!!! Had a gutsful.

Yup.... Storm  warning this weekend, was gunna be heading over to lil barrier tomorrow... FAT CHANCE NOW.

grrr will have to troll these forums now

Light Tackle Weapon
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2004 at 2:36pm
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Deepsea,laughed at your 21st counter......and hope your better half dosen't Jim
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wayne.L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2004 at 8:27pm
Wayne.L View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Scuse my thicknessLethal, but I plan to go fishing Friday afternoon and being the last quarter The afternoon should be best with the moon set at midday making the best bite time around 11am-1pm. So if I go fishing on Sunday as well what will the bite time be then, ie, whats the difference 48hrs on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2004 at 6:47pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Hi Wayne.L..... the out going tide in the afternoon should give better results than the morning...... mainly because the moon is not overhead...... Sunday has just shortened the amount of time the fish will be on the bite.... but remember the shorter the time the faster or harder they feed...... good luck....

Waiheke
Units are meters,

Friday 2004-07-09   Last Quarter Moon
Sunrise  7:31 AM NZST, Sunset  5:17 PM NZST
Moonset 11:53 AM NZST, Moonrise 12:45 AM NZST
  High Tide:  12:25 AM NZST   3.13
   Low Tide:   6:31 AM NZST   0.57
  High Tide:  12:48 PM NZST   2.92
   Low Tide:   6:48 PM NZST   0.74

Saturday 2004-07-10  
Sunrise  7:31 AM NZST, Sunset  5:18 PM NZST
Moonrise 12:45 AM NZST, Moonset 12:17 PM NZST
  High Tide:   1:15 AM NZST   3.02
   Low Tide:   7:21 AM NZST   0.66
  High Tide:   1:39 PM NZST   2.82
   Low Tide:   7:44 PM NZST   0.88

Sunday 2004-07-11  
Sunrise  7:30 AM NZST, Sunset  5:19 PM NZST
Moonrise  1:45 AM NZST, Moonset 12:42 PM NZST
  High Tide:   2:05 AM NZST   2.90
   Low Tide:   8:11 AM NZST   0.76
  High Tide:   2:32 PM NZST   2.72
   Low Tide:   8:40 PM NZST   0.98

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote penguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2004 at 7:58pm
penguin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

There is an ancient proverb here in u.k that goes something like;

when the wind blows East, the fish feed least, when the wind blows West, the fish feed best,

And if the wind blows North, you might as well Fx@** orf. (I made that bit up )

As Nz is in sth. hemispere, does this mean you would have to reverse the wind directions in the saying?

Pitty,cos it dont rhyme if you do that.

Pingu...`The Mackerel Ho``
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2004 at 8:19pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Penguin
I have found (after years of reserch) that I never catch a fish when Im on my PC or when Im watching TV.
Sorry but I havnt noticed which way the wind was blowing but I do hope that has helped a bit
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2004 at 9:14pm
Phats View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lethal

Have you been watching the reports as few as theyve been due to this weather and if you have are they confirming things ?

cheers

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2004 at 1:22am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

hi guys........as for wind ive never found it really matters...... as long as im fishing with tide and wind im normally happy catching fish......

the more you learn about your fishing spots and what direction the tide flows in these locations the better off you will be for different wind changes....

like anything northerly or easterly in the gulf is a pain in the ass as the wind comes in from the outer gulf..... but for people living over the shore they can make a dash across to Rangi and find a few clam patches to fish.... or like Barrie go up to the batch and fish the gulf side of Coro and be sitting in calm water all day.....

so ok it all takes time but thats just part of fishing is knowing where you can go on any particular wind....... 

look at me i have been out once in 14weeks now........ i should go fishing tomorrow but have not arranged anything..... the wind is right ssw 6-8knot and a out going tide.... would be ok with the moon gone in the afternoon i would have expected to catch a meal ....... trouble is the forcast is not always right........

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2004 at 6:22am
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

what happened to spur of the moment mate???  
Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wayne.L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2004 at 3:33pm
Wayne.L View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Many thanks Lethal. Ive taken very little notice of the moon in the past in relation to fishing but it certainly appears to have a strong influence on success. The main factors for me have always been the right weather with time off.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Adam Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2004 at 4:02pm
Adam Scott View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Penguin, I think the the saying here in NZ is"If its blowing from the south, the fish shut their mouth". Although a light 15knt Southerly or SSW up here is good during summer as it gets canceled out by the sea breeze, a SE is the worst wind for us.

I remember asking Snooks Fuller if over the years he noticed better gamefishing with moon phases, his answer was "If you get the time to go fishing and the weather is ok then you go, if you take moon and tides into consideration aswell you would never bloody go!" 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2004 at 8:12pm
Phats View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah. A weekend fisherman with a young family like me cant really go at the "Optimum time" I just have to take it when I can. But it is interesting and also makes sense that when you fish a spot over time "when you can" and one trip is goin off and another is quiet then it may well be these factors that have influenced the success or lack of.

Its this website tho and the advice and help of others that is making me more aware of "the influenceing factors" which can help time on the water be more productive

Cheers

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Matt B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2004 at 8:34pm
Matt B View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have a young family and I reckon there are only two good times to go fishing, when it's raining and when it ain't.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2004 at 8:49pm
Phats View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yep well....Na I aint going there
Page  123>