Omaha to Great Barrier

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hogdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Omaha to Great Barrier
    Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 9:58am
hogdog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I am thinking of doing a trip over in the surtees, anyone tell me roughly how long it takes? also an idea of fuel you burn got 100hp fourstroke, not sure if the 80l will be enough to get there/back and cruise around over there for a weekend
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bossco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 10:18am
Bossco View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It's around 60k's with a few deviations to Fitzroy, if you can cruise at 20knots and 10-12lph with that engine should only use up around 15 litres or 20 in bad conditions. Which would give you around 40 litres there and back, if your only going to Fitroy and the surrounding area's that would be fine. If you wanna explore a bit and head down through miners reef for a jig and then to the needles and the back of barrier your going to be really pushing it on that much gas if you want a bit left for safety or if the conditions kick up. You can get gas there at certain times at Fitzroy but it's a bit of a rip off, cheaper just to buy a couple of 20 litre containers and take them with you for peace of mind.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Panga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 12:05pm
Panga View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Take more fuel, if the weather gets a little snotty its a slow trip home.
I ONLY FISH HANDMADE KOJAK CUSTOM RODS.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 12:21pm
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been thinking about it myself.  Got about halfway there from HMB @ 20knts on just under 1 30ltr tank used the other 60ltr's for having a play with the work ups and getting home.  So I reckon with 120 litres I could make it there.  Would have to refuel so we could get around and then again to get back.  This is with a 90hp 2 stroke.
A man’s comfort in life can be measured by the quality of the toilet paper he uses to wipe his arse.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 1:19pm
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

(6 metre wooden 115 4/- yammie )
We used to leave onerahi (4.00am) and head out to the hen and chicks for an early morning fish.. stop over at lil barrier for a few spots and then around to horn rock... scoot into whangaparapara and top up the fuel...  up along the coast trying various previous successful spots and end up at smokehouse bay for the night... fished the needles at the top of barrier and then over to simpsons and mokes and a trip back to the chicks for an evening fish before heading home... 
Omaha to Barrier is 30 miles.... 80 litres will get you there easily and just fill up at the wharf at whangaparapara..  couple of totes wouldn't go a miss..

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Karlosnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 2:07pm
Karlosnz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Take more fuel dont do a carbineLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jamesdaulton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 2:36pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hogdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 2:39pm
hogdog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

And?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Karlosnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 2:51pm
Karlosnz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

He took 2 tote tanks 2 the barrier and ran out on the way home

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jamesdaulton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 2:51pm
jamesdaulton View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

probably don't own upn to the fact if you do run out of juice....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Karlosnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 2:51pm
Karlosnz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hogdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 2:53pm
hogdog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ill take 500lites should be enough then i can go everywhere at 35kn
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 4:19pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

from Omaha right around Gt Barrier and back on 150lts with an Optimac 150hp connected to a 6 1/2mt Mclay hardtop... gauge said i had 7lts left... when i fulled it up it was 13lts so all up i used 137lts for that trip....
"weather" we ran with the wind going over and same coming home, if you can pick the weather you will definitely use less gas....
if its going to turn to custard i would refuel before leaving Gt Barrier regardless of cost...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 6:38pm
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by hogdog hogdog wrote:

Way to go hogdog - You won't need to ask anymore questions about Barrier and back then. If it's  blowing 20knts through the Craddock ya won't be doing 35knts either.
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Bean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 8:03pm
Mr Bean View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

LOL
Originally posted by A C A C wrote:

Originally posted by hogdog hogdog wrote:

Way to go hogdog - You won't need to ask anymore questions about Barrier and back then. If it's  blowing 20knts through the Craddock ya won't be doing 35knts either.

LOLLOL

owned
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 10:59pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have just done some chart work on my computer.
From the point at Omaha allow 39 miles to the Needles travelling round the south of Little Barrier.
That is a good trip as you can use Little Barrier to shelter from the wind, especially returning home.
It is 38 miles to Tryphena from Omaha, almost 90T.
The Barrier is such as good place you just keep on going and going. And you can do a lot of miles in a day. I have seen many boats your size at Arid Island and round the back of the Island.
So stock up on fuel or be prepared to buy some at either Port Fitzroy or Whangapara.
I will warn you that you will not like Great Barrier fuel prices, they are expensive, very expensive. They prefer cash but can take a credit card - a little walk to the lodge at Whangapara.
I came across the Colville channel from Tryphena on sunday morning, and we managed it at 10 knots in an easterly swell average 2 metres, big waves at 4 metres with 25 knot SE wind. I have a 9 metre diesel launch. Once into the Firth travelling to Gannet Roack it chopped up real bad so down to 8 knots. I prefer the open ocean as the waves are further apart and easier to travel in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 11:10pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hogdog
Here is another tip. Ask your outboard manufacturer for a fuelflow chart and then you can work out the best engine speed to fuel flow consumption. You wil know the sweet speed spots in your engine, where the boat rides well, so what you need to identify what engine speed delivers the best fuel economy at the optimum travelling speed.
Once you have the chart for your engine you can plan your trip so you will not run out of fuel.
If you have fuel consumption monitoring instruments doing this exercise on paper may not be necessary.
I strongly suggest you give it a go and enjoy it, sightsee and do some fishing the first day.
Then once you know your limitations plan a serious fishing trip.
Don