Throw/Cast nets

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throw/Cast nets
    Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 11:14pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi All

There have been many threads about various baitfish and methods of catching them. One thing that I havn`t seen mentioned is using a thrownet. From my experience it is the most effective shallow water method of catching livebaits. Is it a common practice which is just not mentioned or is it
something that is not practiced/not permitted ?

Appreciate any feedback as I am going to be wading the shallows soon with a net and dont want MFISH asking tough questions Embarrassed

Cheers

We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 6:08pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I have seen them used and they are effective, very difficult to use, I've tried and failed but those who know how make it look easy. I assume they are legal, better check it out! There is a booklet for recreational fishermen that list all the netting rules, mesh sizes etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coolbest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 7:40pm
coolbest View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi RealStew... funny that you mention cast nets - courier just delivered mine this morning! (bought from TM) I have done a bit of research - and according to the MoF website if you are after the common species of the bait fish (Pilchard, Piper or Yellow eyed mullet) the minimum mesh size is 25mm (1") (it does not specifically mention cast nets - but I'm assuming it falls under the drag net regulations).

Will report back when had a chance to try it out in the field...

Thanks,
Nick
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 10:44pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the info, as far as learning to throw, the best is to follow the basic principles ie get the net to rotate (anti clockwise for right handed and clockwise for leftys ) this centrifugal action causes the net to "spread". Apart from that rule, find what is a comfortable action and if you think you are coming right dont listen to anyone who says you are doing it wrong. Also when hunting the bait, it is better to keep a low profile, be dead quiet and let them come to you. Good luck coolbest.
We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2010 at 1:12am
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been using a cast net for a while now. i got the hang from these vids  http://www.ausfish.com.au/castnet/  -  the second technigue using your elbow i find the best as you can do it even in water half up your chest once you get the hang of it.
 If you do a search on here Youtube there are loads of vids on how to do, but some are just downright complicated. 
If you can find a casting net with a draw string on the bottom its better as when you pull it it closes the bottom off and the fish dont fall out as they do with just the ones with lead-only on the bottom.
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.