Charter operators~~the GOOD ones

Page  123 13>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Charter operators~~the GOOD ones
    Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 3:11pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Please, no negative stuff.
Anything that shows an operator in a bad light will be deleted.
The idea is to build a list of good charters based on individual experience.
Perhaps relate a few good things that happened, how a skipper went out of his way to keep everyone happy,  that sort of thing...

(thanks to Wetspot for the suggestion)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 3:20pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And put the operators name/boat and perhaps ph no: in bold at the top.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 3:22pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Reel Life with Captain Phil, if Kings big snaps, marlin etc etc and diving is your thing PM him, he is a forum member as well.
Been out with him a few times top bloke and operation and I believe he now has a home stay set up for out of towners.
Reel Life
Capt Phil
7m White Pointer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jemry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 3:25pm
Jemry View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Coro Cowboy,  Chris out of Coromandel
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jamesdaulton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 3:28pm
jamesdaulton View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great Barrier Island
Tryphena Charters
Craig McInman 
Ph. (09) 4290 596

Legend in my books.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote IGAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 4:11pm
IGAB View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

EPIC, EPIC, EPIC
Epic Charters
King of the Kingies......
Carl is a forum member and no need for introductions. Been on a few charters, but no contest! Put's you right on the fish and an excellent guy!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 4:43pm
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Auckland
Divertsity with Damian Clayton
Phone: 09 424 0607
Mobile: 021 2446346
E-mail: [email protected]

Coromandel
Epic Adventures with Carl Muir
Phone: (07) 864 8193
Mobile: 021 227 4354

Whakatane
Memory Makers with Lionel Korach
Phone: (07) 312 5404
Mobile: 0274 545 597

or alternatively you could book a trip with our very own Boulder

Boulder Guiding
Phone: (09) 5801339
Mobile: 0274 935093
E-mail:
[email protected]
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 4:44pm
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

REEL LIFE :  Capt Phil ...  Out of Whangaroa and other points in the north
Well set up MSA boat with all the gear esp for Mech Jigging

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brooook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 5:34pm
Brooook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Kaikoura                                             10/10

Clarence Fishing Charters

Ph: 03-319 4339                           

I have been on this charter several times, but not recently. You go out from the Kaikoura coast (20min north of Kaikoura) and steam out to the deep water groper and trumpeter fishing. I've seen 50lb+ groper caught and if you are unlucky not to catch a groper (unlikely), the blue cod are HUGE. The added attraction is seeing albatross follow the boat (also called Albatross) and picking up the craypots on the way home for a feed of crayfish.

I hope the charter is as good as it was a few years ago as it was AWESOME!!! The skipper was very attentive and was always checking up on his guests needs or giving advice. The price was cheap and included a nights stay at a farm cottage so that you could be ready for 6:30am departure.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.............Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 6:35pm
Moggy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Uncle
This is not a bad idea this but once you have compiled the list we should be able to give points say out of 10 with 1 being bad trip/experience and 10 being bloody brilliant.

I have been out on some of the ones names and had bad experiences such that I wouldn’t think of going again but I equally know of people who have had good ones with same people, so they can have an off day which I would like to know about giving the operator the benefit of the doubt.

In my books if I was a charter operator there is no point in just being listed as great, I would personally rather have the bad with it – then I could improve my offering or at least ensure that the “bad” experiences don’t happen again – but hey that’s me and I think some of the charter operators have a ego’s so may not take kindly to being rated 1/10

But fair is fair and I think being fair to the charter operators is telling them when they are not performing and also being man enough to leave your name on it so they can contact you and follow up – after all if they are not told they cannot fix and there is a great need for our charter boys to understand that they probably never hear the “bad” trips back nor have the ability to fix them as most people never complain but vote with their feet.

I had a charter trip last year by a well know operator which was less than I expected, I contacted him and made my thoughts known and he has to his credit gone out of his way to provide a replacement trip at a cost we are all happy at (note that’s not a free trip) – he didn’t have to I am sure but on the basis of that he will pick up many thousands of dollars more business from people whom I refer to him.

So whilst we don’t want to name and shame – which is fine, we should be able to openly in this forum place weightings beside those whom we have had great trips and those we have had less than that to try to raise the bar for all charter operators.

Only point I would make is unless they specifically say or guarantee that they will help you to catch fish then the catching of fish should rate to high in this assessment, as we all know fish are fickle and to blame an operator for you not catching fish isn’t right, we can all go out and have the same results.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it!
FISH FIGHT The Peoples Protest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 6:41pm
The Builder View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Auckland

only interested in catching me a feed.& a few to smoke on me "Bradley"
(leave the big stuff to those wif testeron ? probs)
trouble big guy goes thru to get a result beggers belief.
U even get a refund if nothing caught. (no way to run a bussiness)
pity Wednesday is the mid week thing.got other things to do that day.
they out there? mate.
kindest regards The Builder.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 7:22pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ive been on one only charter in my life and it was a total have worst fishing ,broken rod tips ,not allowed to use big baits and then wanted a share of catch like that was ever going to happen,
tough job for sure being the charter skipper and i say we all expect trips not so good they aint magic but the gear provided should be right for the target species not some broken down gear which seem a little common from what i gather
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jamesdaulton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 7:39pm
jamesdaulton View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

A lot of this comes down to YOUR personality...if you often get bad charters...maybe it's not the skipp. The reverse is also true - it's amazing how far people will go out of their way if they like you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 7:48pm
Moggy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by jamesd jamesd wrote:

A lot of this comes down to YOUR personality...if you often get bad charters...maybe it's not the skipp. The reverse is also true - it's amazing how far people will go out of their way if they like you.

Yep Jamesd you are totally right on that point, sometimes you get along with people and sometimes you don’t, but most of understand that. However as any shop assistant knows the customer is always right.

What this is about is not personalities but bad or good experiences - like boat handling, care and attention to the PAYING client, information, pre and post service (did they answer emails/fax/phone calls in a timely manner) especially if you are travelling any distance to the charter, then there is the actual fishing time, did the charter operator actually handle the boat and go with you or did you get a ring in skipper, did they ice down the fish , did they Iki the fish in fact or show any understand towards what was caught, did they help cut/clean/pack the catch ( I know of several above who do a wonderful job in that regard) etc etc

These are the parts I look at not the personality of the person involved, I would go fishing with Capt. Bligh if he got me good fish!!
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it!
FISH FIGHT The Peoples Protest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brooook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 7:51pm
Brooook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Worst charter promised groper but decided not to go that far because of weather (fair enough but I disagreed with the weather call as I know the area well. Suspected they tried to save petrol/money as only a few serious fishos aboard). Stopped to fish for other fish and "accidentally" hit a rock, sending most of us flying. Skipper got pissed - wrong, wrong, wrong!!!! Tourists loved it as they had a day out sightseeing. Fishos grumbled with lack of serious fishing. I still regret not dobbing in the skipper. Not sure if it still operates...
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.............Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 7:58pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

you telling me the skipper got juiced ,he should be shut down from operating thats is dam crazy and irresponsible 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brooook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 8:04pm
Brooook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by blackboat blackboat wrote:

you telling me the skipper got juiced ,he should be shut down from operating thats is dam crazy and irresponsible 
Yep, probably why he hit a rock. Had a couple of younger deckhands to help but still no excuse for the skip to get pissed.

Boyfriend du jour told me not to make waves...although he was also very disappointed and shocked at the unprofessional conduct.

I'm sure it's not running anymore.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 8:17pm
The Builder View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

[QUOTE=Accident Prone]Auckland

all I ever wont to do is catch a feed (pannies are best !)
smoke a few in me "Bradley, (tried Keaza,s maple recipie, awsome!) 
once & once only, never caught a fish wif Damo,
(I was embarrresed, to say the least, gave me free trip, )
didn,t have to do it; but thats the nature of the Big Guy,
go well Damo.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Blue Meanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 8:34pm
The Blue Meanie View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Brooook Brooook wrote:

Kaikoura                                             10/10

Clarence Fishing Charters

Ph: 03-319 4339                           

I have been on this charter several times, but not recently. You go out from the Kaikoura coast (20min north of Kaikoura) and steam out to the deep water groper and trumpeter fishing. I've seen 50lb+ groper caught and if you are unlucky not to catch a groper (unlikely), the blue cod are HUGE. The added attraction is seeing albatross follow the boat (also called Albatross) and picking up the craypots on the way home for a feed of crayfish.

I hope the charter is as good as it was a few years ago as it was AWESOME!!! The skipper was very attentive and was always checking up on his guests needs or giving advice. The price was cheap and included a nights stay at a farm cottage so that you could be ready for 6:30am departure.

Agree with Brook - Wade is da Man!!!
Been out 3 times with him and always done well on the gropes and trumpeter.
Add a few Blue Cod and some crays on the way home, and you definitely get your moneys worth...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 8:39pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Um, the thread title says "Charter operators~~the GOOD ones"
It would be good if we could keep to the positives.

The idea of the topic is to make it easy for prospective charter customers to pick out a good one without all the hassle of sifting through tons of discussion.
thanks.Big smile
Page  123 13>