Killing Fish

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 11:36pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ouch PERHAPS "BONEHEAD" WOULD BE MORE APT. GEEZ THAT WAS A PLANNED AMBUSH IF I EVER SAW ONE. NOT WORTH WASTING YOUR TIME ON CLARK. ON THE OTHER HAND, WE`VE ALREADY GOT THE POPCORN OUT SO IF YA FEEL UP TO IT Wink 
We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 11:51pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ouch PERHAPS "BONEHEAD" WOULD BE MORE APT. GEEZ THAT WAS A PLANNED AMBUSH IF I EVER SAW ONE. NOT WORTH WASTING YOUR TIME ON( , COMMA ) CLARK. ON THE OTHER HAND, WE`VE ALREADY GOT THE POPCORN OUT SO IF YA FEEL UP TO IT Wink OOPS, DOESNT SOUND SO GOOD WITHOUT THE COMMA 
We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 12:34am
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Bonefish Bonefish wrote:

Wow I guess Clark is annoyed

Not at all... LOL Just mildly amused and bemused at the attempt to wind me up. Some people just seem to have a little too much time on their hands.

www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cheeko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 6:09am
Cheeko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by upstream upstream wrote:

It's quite possible that these guys are breaking no regulations.
The Whanganui and the Whakapapa below Piopio Stream has a 5 fish limit. 8 anglers fishing. You do the math.

I think that Fish and Game is going to have to start looking at limits. A default 5 fish limit in most AW waters is too much in my opinion. We always need to give people the option of taking one or two for the pot, but 5 just invites exploitation.

ok have done hte math and agree that they could have easily been following the regulations but its still seems like a massive overkill.  Might send F & G an email and see what they reckon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 8:43am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

For anyone who might be interested, Bonefish has just been through this thread & edited out all his own posts.
I'd say caught & bowled & he didn't like it up 'imLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 8:54am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Beautiful, made for some entertaining reading last night!...
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 9:20am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

For anyone who might be interested, Bonefish has just been through this thread & edited out all his own posts.
I'd say caught & bowled & he didn't like it up 'imLOL

Really seems to know his way around this forum too Bill. Has amended all of his details and posts so he's no newbie... he also toned down his earlier post... guess he thought we might smell a rat if he was too confrontational...

Quote Bonehead.... "Clark I was hoping for some discussion about this problem you have just posted advertising, cheap trick shows how much you care about your rivers"

Wished he'd left this up, we could've then hijacked the thread to be about our respective conservation efforts... I got a feeling my track record may have an edge on his.

What a dick!LOLLOLLOLLOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 9:32am
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Damn! I've arrived too late againLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 10:36am
Titanium
Titanium

all a bit of humor really ...LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote geoff_fishie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 12:54pm
geoff_fishie View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

bonefish or otherwise known as dot got owned LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 4:17pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by upstream upstream wrote:

It's quite possible that these guys are breaking no regulations.
The Whanganui and the Whakapapa below Piopio Stream has a 5 fish limit. 8 anglers fishing. You do the math.

I think that Fish and Game is going to have to start looking at limits. A default 5 fish limit in most AW waters is too much in my opinion. We always need to give people the option of taking one or two for the pot, but 5 just invites exploitation.

2 months until next AW council meeting, I'll ask to put it on the general business agenda as I quite agree. In the meantime I'll have a yak with tyhe Fisheries Manager and see what (if any) other feedback he's had. I just don't know the dynamics of that part of the river well enough to make an informed comment but from a purely pragmatic perspective I can't imagine a 5 fish limit benefitting anyone, the catcher, other anglers, the fishery. In this day and age it all seems a bit backwards to kill so many fish.Dead
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 4:23pm
Titanium
Titanium

Agree 100%
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote upstream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 5:34pm
upstream View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Nick F Nick F wrote:

2 months until next AW council meeting, I'll ask to put it on the general business agenda as I quite agree. In the meantime I'll have a yak with tyhe Fisheries Manager and see what (if any) other feedback he's had. I just don't know the dynamics of that part of the river well enough to make an informed comment but from a purely pragmatic perspective I can't imagine a 5 fish limit benefitting anyone, the catcher, other anglers, the fishery. In this day and age it all seems a bit backwards to kill so many fish.Dead

Nick, I imagine that the 5 fish limit in AW region goes back quite a long way. In its favour is that it is easy to understand and there is consistency in regulation. Also, AW rivers generally have quite a high fish population and are not heavily fished.

But 5 fish is an awful lot! What is wrong with a general limit for most waters of 2 fish? And then particular streams can be protected further as required. My dad likes eating trout, but even he never takes more than 2 fish a day. And I have convinced him that he should return any rainbows bigger than 4lbs. Who the heck needs 5 fish a day?

I would like to see the bigger rainbows in some rivers protected with slot limits or the like, particularly the well fished waters.

I wrote to AW F&G questioning the increase of the limit on the upper Waipa from 2 to 5, based on a single drift dive. But never received a reply and the regulation was changed. I wonder how much science there is to the regulations?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 5:34pm
TheBadger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Clark please stop advertising.

Tongue

That was a bloody good laugh actually. i was just waiting for it to happen as soon as I read his original post.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 5:49pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by TheBadger TheBadger wrote:

Clark please stop advertising.

Badger, please stop ****- stirring.... Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 5:50pm
TheBadger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Can't. It's an addiction.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote luderick -angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 8:01pm
luderick -angler View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Badger please wear pantsTongue..................................
I support any team thats playing against the Aussies in any sport!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snap T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 3:56pm
Snap T View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Dammit, I missed all of the fun!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jamesdaulton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 9:18am
jamesdaulton View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sorry to get away from the fun and back to the original premise....

the last paragraph implys these are the same guys???>?

The five Norwegian tourists posted clips of their shooting spree on YouTube.

var bigImgSrc = 'http://media.nzherald.co.nz/webcontent/image/jpg/290310SPLpigeon03_460x230.jpg'; Wildlife enforcement officials have identified the Norwegians suspected of having been involved in slaughtering protected native kereru in New Zealand.

"We have the full names and return travel details of all five persons related to the video clips," said Department of Conservation senior communications adviser Reuben Williams.

DoC is pursuing the five through an international treaty, but has not said what action it might try to take against them.

The five, who are understood to all have lived or worked at some point in the Arctic Norwegian town of Tromso, posted a clip on YouTube last week of them shooting New Zealand wildlife over five weeks during summer.

But their clip of a rifleman shooting at a kereru, the bird falling from a tree, and film of one of the tourists holding two dead, bloody birds took only three days to attract more than 400 scathing comments.

< =":try .'adSpace14'.insertAdjacentElement'beforeEnd', .s'INVadSpace14'..'adDiv' catchaamErr " height=0 Border=0 width=0 name=INVadSpace14>

The maximum penalty for killing such protected wildlife is a $100,000 fine and up to a year in jail.

The video also showed the tourists shooting a paradise shelduck with a rifle. Paradise ducks can be legally hunted only with a licence and a shotgun during the shooting season starting in May. Illegal hunting can bring a fine of up to $5000.

But the Norwegian penal code is harsher. It provides for up to six years' jail for people convicted of wilfully or through gross negligence reducing a natural population of protected wildlife, in Norway or overseas.

DoC will be initially pursuing the Norwegians through an international treaty Cites (the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora) to which both countries are signatories.

"We will be in contact with the Norwegian authorities," said Mr Williams.

"No formal decisions have been made at this time as to what form the impending legal action will take."

Hans Tore Hoviskeland, a senior public prosecutor at the Norwegian National Authority for Investigation and Prosecution of Economic and Environmental Crime (Okokrim), told the nation's largest newspaper, Aftenposten, that if the men had shot protected animals in New Zealand, "it is very regrettable".

"The way I see it, they can also be prosecuted in criminal proceedings in Norway," he said. "We will do further research to see what has happened."

But another prosecutor at Okokrim, Aud Slettemoen, said the agency had not yet had any request from the authorities in New Zealand, or any advice that the kereru were an endangered or protected species.

An angling website, Fluefiske.net, reported the group of fly fishermen visited the North and South Islands and said one of them told it: "I have been completely bitten by this country." The man said he and his friends were planning to return for another, longer trip.

- NZPA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 6:46am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Update. Based on what some viewed as 'the collapse' of the Taupo fishery causing an influx of Taupo based guides and their clients to the Southern waters of the AW region leading to 3000 angler days over a measured period compared to the normalised 300 angler days, a recommendation by AW staff to set the kill limit at 2 fish per day on some waters will be discussed at this Staurday's AWF&G council meeting. I'm pretty certain the 2 fish limit will be adopted, at least I'll vote for the recommendation.
Page  <123>