Fishing in Canterbury

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wally1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fishing in Canterbury
    Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 1:46pm
Wally1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi

I haven't been fishing for a long time, but have been wanting to get back into it the last couple of years. Especially since my 5yo daughter is interested too and got her own rod for her birthday recently. 

We're in Christchurch, and thought the Waimakariri Mouth/Kairaki would be a good place to start. It's sea/saltwater so presumably we don't need a fishing license (?), and there's enough other things for the kids to do when they inevitably get bored and I can have some fishing in peace....

At some point from the mouth I guess there becomes a point at which you need a fishing license. How far is this, or does it depend on the type of fish caught? How's that work?

What type of bait is good to use? We'll just be using small 'trout fishing' sized rods.
High tide/low tide? Or something inbetween? (I never did much seafishing)

And onto a slightly different subject - for when I do get myself a license.... I used to go trout fishing with my dad a lot about 20+ years ago. We used to mainly fish Harts Creek & Selwyn rivers (Ellesmere) and Little River (Lake Forsyth), which were reasonably good. What are these rivers like for trout fishing now (worm, spinning - never really gave fly fishing a good go).

Any responses/advice most appreciated. I'm looking forward to getting back into it after so long.

Cheers
Wally
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 10:53pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hi Wally, welcome. You only need a licence for freshwater fishing for trout etc. If you're fishing the river mouth you wont need a licence because you will be fishing salt water. I would expect kahawai would be a good species to target.

I'm not familiar with the area, if you get no other replies I'll see what I can do.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Billygoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 6:23pm
Billygoat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

ahh be careful i think you do need a license to take salmon, they're governed by fish & game, check it out, normally there are particular areas (like around rivermouths) where a license is needed even though you are fishing salt water
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 8:43pm
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

wally, for some more info go into the yak yak yak forum and look in   "canterbury kayak fishing club" we do a lot of local stuff, not just kayaking, and someone allways knows something about everythingThumbs Up
i can tell you that yes, the ellesmere system does still hold some truely huge trout, although they are few and far between , harts creek and the L2 are probably the best spots to try, mostly early in the season though, there probably arent enough fish to keep a kid happy though.Disapprove
the river at little river does produce 2-3lb perch fairly reliably, on orange spinners, and the very occasional trout.
unfortunatly due to water obstracion and quality issues, lake ellesmere and forsyth are not much more than  open sewers , and at some times of the year you would be well advised not to come into contact with the water, the algie blooms have been responcible for the deaths of many family petsDead 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 12:50pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You need a license to catch trout or salmon within 150m* of where a fresh water course enters the sea. Once outside the 150m then mfish regulations apply, I beleive mfish  bag limit is 2 per day and they can only be caught on rod and running line. 

*not 100% certain on the number so better check the regulations. 

I have heard many stories of F&G rangers pestering anglers targeting Kahawai at Canterbury river mouths, they claim if you are using gear capable of catching a sport fish you need a license. Using s a baited sabiki to catch mullet and small Kahawai would probably be allowed and would be a bit of fun on a trout rod. Have heard that the Kaiapoi, Avon and Heathcote can hold reasonable numbers of mullet and small kahawai over the warmer months.   By fishing at the mouths of the avon/heathcote you would also avoid the masses of Salmon anglers. 

With regards to bait, squid is a good durable general bait but most would work.